Could a pulsation dampener cause all that? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Could a pulsation dampener cause all that?

Discussion in 'Butler Systems' started by Ablecarpet1980, Nov 28, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Ablecarpet1980

Ablecarpet1980 New Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So I’ve been running my first butler I’ve ever owned and I love it. Recently I’ve been experiencing some pulsation in the line, along with un steady pressure, and pretty much the pump acting all kinds of crazy. After troubleshooting with butler on the phone,and trying to figure this thing out, I really had gotten nowhere. I replaced the pressure regulator, checked fittings, did all kinds of things. Finally today being entirely out of ideas I changed the pulsation dampener and everything returned to normal or atleast for the time being. The unit by the way is 11 months old with close to 800 hours on it. My question is..... Could a pulsation dampener cause all of that?

2. seagrtj

seagrtj Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    MO
    Ratings:
    +940 / 4 / -0
    if it was bad, yes. It is a shock absorber for the water pump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Serving the greater Charlotte area
    Ratings:
    +1,165 / 3 / -0
    Those usually don't sh!t the bed in 11 months and at $160 a copy they shouldn't. A couple things can mock that condition, if it comes right back post it up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. seagrtj

seagrtj Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    MO
    Ratings:
    +940 / 4 / -0
    Agree with Jim, they should last years. I believe Butler uses the rechargeable one. It could have had a bad schrader valve in it. You also could have just had some air in the system

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Ratings:
    +1,165 / 3 / -0
    A bad o-ring in the intake side QC's mimic a bad dampener along with a few other things.

6. Ablecarpet1980

Mar 18, 2017
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Tomorrow will tell the tale I suppose. I really hope that’s all it was. Very strange...

7. Ablecarpet1980

Mar 18, 2017
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So after a few days the nightmare is back. Turns out it wasn’t the pulsation dampener after all. So my question it where is this coming from? I am assuming I am pulling air in somewhere? Is there anyway to check fittings for air leaks? I have more questions than answers. I don’t see anything leaking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8. Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Ratings:
    +1,165 / 3 / -0
    Here's where I would look first. One of your valves in the pump is likely wedged open with a miniscule piece of debris. My guess is an intake valve. This is the number one cause of pump chatter. Also with a Butler look for a nicked o-ring on the QC's on the intake side. While it may not actually leak under atmospheric pressure it will under the vacuum created when pulling water.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Ratings:
    +1,165 / 3 / -0
    This is the filter on all my incoming water for a reason, plus one in line before the fresh water box. 20171204_212007.jpg