Could a pulsation dampener cause all that? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Could a pulsation dampener cause all that?

Ablecarpet1980

Mar 18, 2017
Real Name
Patrick Voncannon
So I’ve been running my first butler I’ve ever owned and I love it. Recently I’ve been experiencing some pulsation in the line, along with un steady pressure, and pretty much the pump acting all kinds of crazy. After troubleshooting with butler on the phone,and trying to figure this thing out, I really had gotten nowhere. I replaced the pressure regulator, checked fittings, did all kinds of things. Finally today being entirely out of ideas I changed the pulsation dampener and everything returned to normal or atleast for the time being. The unit by the way is 11 months old with close to 800 hours on it. My question is..... Could a pulsation dampener cause all of that?

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
So I’ve been running my first butler I’ve ever owned and I love it. Recently I’ve been experiencing some pulsation in the line, along with un steady pressure, and pretty much the pump acting all kinds of crazy. After troubleshooting with butler on the phone,and trying to figure this thing out, I really had gotten nowhere. I replaced the pressure regulator, checked fittings, did all kinds of things. Finally today being entirely out of ideas I changed the pulsation dampener and everything returned to normal or atleast for the time being. The unit by the way is 11 months old with close to 800 hours on it. My question is..... Could a pulsation dampener cause all of that?
if it was bad, yes. It is a shock absorber for the water pump.

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Agree with Jim, they should last years. I believe Butler uses the rechargeable one. It could have had a bad schrader valve in it. You also could have just had some air in the system

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Ablecarpet1980

Mar 18, 2017
Real Name
Patrick Voncannon
Tomorrow will tell the tale I suppose. I really hope that’s all it was. Very strange...

Ablecarpet1980

Mar 18, 2017
Real Name
Patrick Voncannon
So after a few days the nightmare is back. Turns out it wasn’t the pulsation dampener after all. So my question it where is this coming from? I am assuming I am pulling air in somewhere? Is there anyway to check fittings for air leaks? I have more questions than answers. I don’t see anything leaking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Here's where I would look first. One of your valves in the pump is likely wedged open with a miniscule piece of debris. My guess is an intake valve. This is the number one cause of pump chatter. Also with a Butler look for a nicked o-ring on the QC's on the intake side. While it may not actually leak under atmospheric pressure it will under the vacuum created when pulling water.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
This is the filter on all my incoming water for a reason, plus one in line before the fresh water box.
20171204_212007.jpg