Couch covers are Machine Washable | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Couch covers are Machine Washable

Chappy12

Feb 7, 2020
Real Name
Stephen
Hey Guys,

So a lady rang me for a quote on a couch Uph clean... and she told me the make of the couch its from Ikea.
I said no problem ill come out and give you a quote. Now i looked up the Ikea website and covers are completely washing machine washable.. I was thinking of going over there and although I might not make a cent on this job just giving her the best customer service and free advice. My company is very new in fact she would be my first customer. I just think that maybe she would tell her friends and family about it.

Is this the right approach ? I would like a paid job but my business model is to offer the best service.

link below is the care instruction if she wanted could i HWE the couch ?

Removable cover
Cover for 3-seat sofa

Machine wash, max 40°C, normal process.

To be washed separately.

Do not bleach.

Do not tumble dry.

Iron on reverse, max 150°C.

Professional dry cleaning in tetrachloroethene and hydrocarbons, normal process.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I'm a firm believer in good service = lifelong customers

The trick is you need to be confident in what you say. Let her know you have no problem cleaning it, but that it is indeed machine washable.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I have a couch like that. Stupid easy to wash. But getting the cushions back in without ripping the zippers in half. Now that will be a test of ones patience.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
that sofa would be an easy clean. You can probably take off the cushions but you cant take off the fabric off the arms or frame, so just clean it.

I have been asked to clean sofas where the covering is more of a throw cover - very loose. THOSE I would recommend having them washed.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
The entire frame cover and cushion covers come off so all of it can be washed and tumble dried without heat or line dried. However they are a PITA to get back on. It will be a lot easier to HWE than fight with the covers to machine wash.

Be honest, give her the options and go from there. Usually someone will only remove the covers once and have it cleaned professionally afterwords.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
actually when someone calls about urine in a cushion, I refer them to a local mattress factory that also makes futons, etc. They can replace the same size and density foam and I can clean/treat the fabric. They put the foam on a table which has a vacuum which decreases the size of the foam, put the cushion over it and turn off the vacuum and whaala. Pretty slick.

Just wondering if you can use a TM vac hose to do the same thing???

Reactions: keep it clean

Chappy12

Feb 7, 2020
Real Name
Stephen
Hey Guys

So visited site.. and its an old apartment block with loads of stairs and top floor.. would have sucked to get my big old not so portable up there..

the couch looked great except for one water mark. I ran the UV light over it and no stains except for that one mark.. i gave her the options and said honestly i would machine wash this one cover and if it doesnt turn out awesome you can buy the just the cover from ikea. Then i took away her empty cardboard boxes as she just moved to the area and my brother just so happens to be moving tomorrow and needs boxes..

She loved the service and said her move to our city has been so positive with everyone and took my cards and will refer me.. so im really happy with that...I need a bit of good karma and nothing beats services !!

thank you all so much you have all made this transition into small business and Carpet cleaning so less scary.

Its nice to know you guys have a newbies back !

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I clean those couch covers all the time with our truckmounts. They are a pain on the platform, whereas the material wants to pull away from the back while you are cleaning it because of the vacuum in the upholstery tool. So I use a vac cuff with four 1/4" holes drilled equidistance from one another as a controlled air leak. It works so mush better.

I do charge an extra $10 for the slip cover cleaning, $100 minimum.