Concrete staining

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
I recently did my own patio. Stained and sealed it. Came out great. I posted it to my business Facebook page and now I got a paying job for 600 feet of staining and sealing. The patio already has been stained and sealed about 10 years ago but most of it has worn off. So my plan was to strip it of whatever sealer is left. Re-stain the same color and reseal it.
And advice on this? I have never stripped sealer off concrete before.
Thanks

Reactions: Swani21

burbuja2

Mar 24, 2006
Metairie, LA
Real Name
Michael R. Zembik
Business Location
United States
I recently did my own patio. Stained and sealed it. Came out great. I posted it to my business Facebook page and now I got a paying job for 600 feet of staining and sealing. The patio already has been stained and sealed about 10 years ago but most of it has worn off. So my plan was to strip it of whatever sealer is left. Re-stain the same color and reseal it.
And advice on this? I have never stripped sealer off concrete before.
Thanks
Once an acid stain reacts with the calcium in concrete, you really can't re-stain it again because that reaction has already taken place. Accordingly, you would have to use a water-based stain which will give the concrete a different appearance. A pic or two would be helpful. Last, the introduction of a stripper may introduce other properties into the concrete which would adversely affect its acceptance of any stain.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Once an acid stain reacts with the calcium in concrete, you really can't re-stain it again because that reaction has already taken place. Accordingly, you would have to use a water-based stain which will give the concrete a different appearance. A pic or two would be helpful. Last, the introduction of a stripper may introduce other properties into the concrete which would adversely affect its acceptance of any stain.

water base stain is usually more of a topical and is semi translucent doesn't provide same effect as an acid stain.

you can skip stripping and grind a thin layer of concrete off and stain and seal.

acid stain only penetrates so deep and then is neutralized and sealed.

other option is to grind add a skim coat or micro topping to add more textures and depth then stain and seal

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Concrete finishing is a whole other ball of wax.
I get calls from homeowners who tore up carpet and think they can just slap some stain and poly on it.
Grinding, crack repair, densifying, not the cheap quick fix but definitely a cool look.

Reactions: Travis Teague

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
I got pictures but cant upload them. Keep saying my file is to big. I talked to guy at the concert supply store. He agrees I need a water based stain. I am going to try to clean , then used a stripper, scrub with the 175. I really don't think there is much sealant left on the paito. Then apply a water based stain that is about the same color, I tried to match what was there. It is a translucent stain. Then seal. The guy at the store was directing me to a solid color based stain, more like a paint. But the customer likes the translucent look.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I got pictures but cant upload them. Keep saying my file is to big. I talked to guy at the concert supply store. He agrees I need a water based stain. I am going to try to clean , then used a stripper, scrub with the 175. I really don't think there is much sealant left on the paito. Then apply a water based stain that is about the same color, I tried to match what was there. It is a translucent stain. Then seal. The guy at the store was directing me to a solid color based stain, more like a paint. But the customer likes the translucent look.
Let me guess samsung s9? Use browser to load pics. Pain in butt but it at least works. Sometimes phone app works most of the time it don't.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
3134AF22-0A61-4558-8951-C6E35F29697E.jpeg

Reactions: keep it clean
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I stained and sealed all my cement at my house and my advice would be to see how yours hold up for a year before you start offering it. Mine looked great but within 6 months it looked like shit and fixing it is not easy. I offered it on Facebook much like you did but luckily no one bit on it after I did a dozen estimates.

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
I stained and sealed all my cement at my house and my advice would be to see how yours hold up for a year before you start offering it. Mine looked great but within 6 months it looked like shit and fixing it is not easy. I offered it on Facebook much like you did but luckily no one bit on it after I did a dozen estimates.
Why did it look bad? Poor quality sealer? What happened with it?

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Why did it look bad? Poor quality sealer? What happened with it?
It started coming off I will take a picture of how it looks later this morning. I used good quality sealer but my plan was to do the acid stain but when I went to buy it the guy working their talked me into a water based stain saying it would be exactly the same. I have also talked to some of my neighbors that paid a good money to have the acid stain done and theirs do not look much better than mine. I did a ton of cement at my house, the driveway which is a 2 car garage plus I had cement poured beside the garage where I park my 2 vans at. I also did the sidewalk leading to our front door as well as our back patio which was another 400 sf. My wife had outdoor tile installed on the front sidewalk to our front door and back patio last week because she hated the way it looked and did not want me to try to fix it. Covering it up was what she thought would be best and I did not have to worry about it but now I need to figure out what to do with the driveway.

Reactions: Travis Teague

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
Update on my concrete job. Custy texted me at 8pm said her husband said it was to much money and they decided to not do it. The job is scheduled for Tomorrow morning and I already purchased the sealer, stain and , stripper. $400 worth of chemicals. I hope the supplier takes back the product.
2k job and they cancel the night before by text message. WTF. I booked a day and a half for this job. No respect for contractors time.