Competition running AdWords

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by ZestyArt, Jun 1, 2016.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Geez, who knows...

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. ZestyArt

ZestyArt New Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Everyone,

So, figured I'd share this quick little story with everyone, hopefully you guys have a bit of advice for a newbie.

I run a small cleaning business up in Virginia and do okay, especially since there are 3 national and about 15 local cleaning companies in the area.

So, I got a call from what sounded like a telemarketer, talking about adwords and google and all that... Didn't introduce themselves or anything. As I was about to hang up the phone, they mentioned that they're a local cleaning company that will be taking over the town using adwords.

I though it was pretty strange, but kept listening... The jist of the whole shpile was that I should watch out as they have a new, "optimized" website and will be moving people out of top positions with adwords.

I guess it was meant to be a threat, lol.

I was under the impression that google doesn't let adwords mess with existing web pages or am I not understanding it right?

Called a buddy, he's also running a cleaning biz a town over, and he got a similar call. Told me that their "new" website is http://www.housecleaningvabeach.com and we should have nothing to worry about. I looked at their page as well, and it looks pretty basic.

Now, I'm not a pro at online advertising and haven't used google adwords myself, so hopefully someone here can help out.

Thanks everyone in advance!

2. Omar

Premium VIP

May 24, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,750 / 87 / -0
    Nah, just have all your friends and family click on his ad every week, thattl run up his ppc.:D

3. the rugman

the rugman Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Male
    CLEANING FOOL!
    Warwick, NY
    Ratings:
    +1,507 / 2 / -0
    That is more than likely a lead gen site - don't why they called you to tell you they would be taking over? Usually they try and sell you leads (and BTW - not a bad idea of they are good at getting them). As far as Adwords - all things being = the highest bidder wins. After that Google Adwords algo kicks in. The ,ore clicks you get followed by time spent on site = lower price per click (not quite that simple but you get it).
    The "official" word is that advertisers in Adwords get no special consideration - "official" being the key word.
    Just keep an eye on your rankings as well as theirs. If you start to slip just up your SEO game

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Pinosan

Premium VIP

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Owner/operator Carpet cleaning Tech
    California
    Ratings:
    +7,527 / 39 / -0
    I think this guy was looking for a link

5. Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Mrs.SpeedySteamer Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Apr 26, 2012
    Female
    Business Branding
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Ratings:
    +3,928 / 4 / -0
    Don't worry about what they said. You're correct that adwords has no effect on Google Organic searches. They were just looking to sale your a product. Keep moving forward with your business...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mjb4ex

mjb4ex Active Member

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -0
    That's funny...I had HUGE success with google adwords with my previous business, a taxi company. It worked phenomenal. And it was fairly cheap if I was the only one in town using it. Expensive if there was competition. One of my competitors who ran a horrible operation, cars with no insurance, expired registration, etc tried using adwords. I went through my adwords campaign, found the most expensive keywords I could find, and would search for them from every dedicated phone line/ip address I could and click. All my cell phones, wife's cell, kid's cell, tablets. And I would have all my drivers click one key word, once a day. I think it took him less than a week to tap out ha

• Like Like x 1
  7. anthony martin

anthony martin New Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Male
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
  8. Bionic

Bionic New Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You can report miss use to google. They will shut his Adwords down and his website address would have to change if he ever wants to market on google again. They take it pretty serious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hitman

Hitman Active Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Carpet cleaning biz owner and Ad Man for Hitman Ad
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    It was either a lunatic competitor or a strong arm telemarketer. Whichever case, I'd forget about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. John B.B.

John B.B. New Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Male
    Wearer of many hats
    Denver
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So what I'm gathering from your siggy is by "forget about it" you mean "I've already 'taken care' of it"? :D