Compensation for assistant

Busy Bee Floor Care

Jan 11, 2013
Real Name
Jeff Gardner
Good morning everyone. I just wanted to pick everyones brain. I know this issue has been discussed before. I am a owner operator and I have an assistant. His pay is in question right now. i just had back surgery so the assistant will be setting up putting away and doing all the heavy lifting. I run the rotovac or wand. What is the appropriate pay. Per hour ? Percentage? Both? Please let me know.

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
That is just about what my employee does although he does some cleaning as well. I pay him hourly, I started him at $8/hr which is a decent starting page here where I live for someone with no experience. After 90 days I'll give him a $1/hr raise as long as he continues to do what is expected.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
That is just about what my employee does although he does some cleaning as well. I pay him hourly, I started him at $8/hr which is a decent starting page here where I live for someone with no experience. After 90 days I'll give him a $1/hr raise as long as he continues to do what is expected.
What's the cost of living there Jason? How much is a double quarter pounder with drink and fries? I think I would starve to death if I lived and worked there.

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
I start at $13, I know it's all about the market and cost of living but I can't imagine how someone could live on minimum wage anywhere in the US.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
I was asking here to see how others pay their employees. I pay 11per hour.

sorry I misunderstood. probably.

so you are paying $11 Hr. and you want o know how others are paying. now why do you ask.

Do you think $11 is too much or not enough?

Your employee is doing more than he used to and you believe he needs to be paid more?

You feel like if others are paying commission and they do good and it's something you would be willing to explore?

please give more details as the why of your question so we can better give an opinion.

for example, I don't have an everyday helper. I have two guys who help with a monthly account. the tech makes up to $30 Hr and the helper no experience at all makes $20 hr. when they work. It is a commission pay and works not only on that particular account but on the every day routine I could afford to maintain it that way. Just not enough work and they don't like after construction clean ups at a different pay rate.

Reactions: Busy Bee Floor Care

Busy Bee Floor Care

Jan 11, 2013
Real Name
Jeff Gardner
I am located in California. LA county. I pay $11 per hour plus commissions. I am trying to be fair and pay the going rate. My employee is averaging $1900 per month. 1500 in hourly wages and 400 in commissions. I just wanted to pick the brains of other owners to see how they compensate their employees.
I feel I pay well. But I want to explore other options that may benefit both of us.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
I am located in California. LA county. I pay $11 per hour plus commissions. I am trying to be fair and pay the going rate. My employee is averaging $1900 per month. 1500 in hourly wages and 400 in commissions. I just wanted to pick the brains of other owners to see how they compensate their employees.
I feel I pay well. But I want to explore other options that may benefit both of us.

we should meet one of this days. @Johnny Bravo and I hang out together from time to time.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
What's the cost of living there Jason? How much is a double quarter pounder with drink and fries? I think I would starve to death if I lived and worked there.
Yes the cost of living is lower here than most areas, I live in a border town and minimum wage is $7.25/hr. I have no idea how much a double quarter pounder with drink and fries is, I imagine it is around $6 but I haven't be to McDonald's in years.

Reactions: Dafloorman

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
My pay for my guy is $160 per day. If I have a few carpet jobs, I would just do that on my own. He is actually my marble guy, so when we do marble, tile, or color sealing, then he's worth the pay. Most of our work is this with a few carpets mixed in.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
My helper employees got a basic dollar per hour rate. They could also get bonuses for whatever traits I wanted to encourage- 2% extra for being on time every day; 2% extra if the truck was restocked and clean at the end of every day; 2% extra if clean uniform shirt every day and so forth. Also commissions for any sale he made (adding protector or another room of cleaning) and a percentage if we exceeded our goals for the day.

The base pay for our area back then wasw $10 per hour which was better than flipping burgers for $7.50. But most of my guys made $14 to $15 per hour with the bonuses. They could make good money when we ere busy but since part of teh pay was commissions or goals, I did not need to pay them as much if they were just washing the van or doing other non-income producing work when we were slow.

John B.B.

Feb 25, 2013
Denver
Real Name
J. Bulsterbaum
My helper employees got a basic dollar per hour rate. They could also get bonuses for whatever traits I wanted to encourage- 2% extra for being on time every day; 2% extra if the truck was restocked and clean at the end of every day; 2% extra if clean uniform shirt every day and so forth. Also commissions for any sale he made (adding protector or another room of cleaning) and a percentage if we exceeded our goals for the day.

The base pay for our area back then was $10 per hour which was better than flipping burgers for $7.50. But most of my guys made $14 to $15 per hour with the bonuses. They could make good money when we ere busy but since part of teh pay was commissions or goals, I did not need to pay them as much if they were just washing the van or doing other non-income producing work when we were slow.
I didn't have a lot of assistants but I did have a buddy who would come work with me now and then.

As a team we were amazing: we could get in, out, be systematic together, and push ourselves...it helped that he's a 7-foot tall beast.

I loved having a guy who could work, I LOVED having him because he could focus, plan, and move systematically with me: try to highly discipline yourself with most guys and they'll whine that you are thinking too much.

Together we could do unbelievable amounts of work, even with a ton of driving between customers, without rushing, and with results that blew the customers away. :)

Since I didn't have true employed assistants I would not set hourly wages but instead take someone along if they made an offer that wasn't too high for what I expected to make. That might work out to $10-12 an hour. For the buddy with whom I formed the super duo: I would split everything down the middle, because we could overload on jobs and make quite a bit more--he just made things that more productive.

True Pro

Jan 21, 2014
MA.
Real Name
Gilles LeBlanc
Business Location
United States
I pay well. I expect a lot. My guy gets $20/hr but no more than 20%. And I'm always looking for better help.

rccva

Jan 31, 2015
www.robertscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Robert Webb
Business Location
United States
12% up to $500, 10% for anything over $500. My occasional workers make from $15 to $20 per hour. To keep good help they have to feel they are paid well. Today my 2 helpers will make over $400. Some days it may only be $50. But when you pay by percentages everyone knows in advance what they will make on each job. And they know with the big jobs you have to take the small ones.

Reactions: alexus

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Had helpers for 18 plus years. Always paid a guaranteed monthly ( $1500-$2500) plus bonuses.
I had 7 guys work for me over the last 18 yrs and the longer they were with me their pay increased . I believed in pay raises every 3- 6 months depending on how good they were ( if they made me more efficient ).
Rolled as a two man crew and very rarely let them go solo unless an easy job .
I found if I guaranteed a monthly salary they stuck around.
They never worked 160 hrs in the month but were paid for it.
Some weeks were slow some very busy.
Always outworked my helpers ( you O/O will understand).
As of this year I have gone solo and love it.
Extra set of hands would be nice sometimes but I'm not banging off 4-6 jobs a day. Run a very high job average and actually am making more money this year than the others with help.
Yes.... the less you pay a helper the less you get I have found anyways.
After paying WCB, matching CP contributions and EI ( I'm in Canada) tack on another $300 a month after salary.
Pretty much cost me $2500 a month on average after all is said and done.
I did put my guys on UI ( unemployment insurance from Jan 1st- March 31st).
Slow period and work shortage with winter. Some of my helpers liked going on UI. Made 60% of your gross pay plus we had winter work that they could still earn without being penalized.
I did proper payroll and sent in remittence .
Never chanced paying under the table cash.... to many problems that can bite you in the ass if something goes south.
Grant

Bret

Aug 2, 2017
Real Name
Bret Stevens
I get 14/hr, 1 dollar of that is cash. Paid weekly. The owner and I work together pretty much every day, I drive so he can talk on phone, I set up and tear down, and do steps. Owner pushes the wand and does all talking with the customer. So naturally no commission for add on sales or anything like that, didn't get it either when I was at job solo. So I quit selling, even tho owner usually gave me extra cash at the end of the week, but it was not a set amount or anything. Which I feel is a mistake. I have never once ever got a paid sick day or paid holiday, or any paid time off in the 8 plus years I have helped my boss. I even ran the business for him for a week when he went to hawaii. I got an extra one hundred dollars for that.

Reactions: MikeGaure