commissions for techs - yay or nay??? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

commissions for techs - yay or nay???

Dec 9, 2019
Sheboygan, WI
sarrikclean.com
Real Name
Eirik Nelson
Business Location
United States
I'm planning to expand my business into an additional market next year. I'll be hiring a guy to help grow that new market, but he'll be a technician primarily. I'm considering hiring the new guy as a commissioned employee. Anyone currently doing something similar? If so, any advice? TIA

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
All of our techs (when we were a larger company) were paid by the hour. Then we joined Service Team Of Professionals with Mack Clark. (for those of you that didnt know Mack, he was a Management Genius) He told us we needed to change our pay to commission. Since our people were on hourly so long and getting paid fairly well there was a lot of resistance. So I told my top tech that for the next two weeks she was going to be paid hourly BUT we were going to keep tract of what she would have made if we were to change to commission. Needless to say after a week she begged me to change to commission.

What I would recommend is that you start them hourly until trained and then transfer over to commission.

Dec 9, 2019
Sheboygan, WI
sarrikclean.com
Real Name
Eirik Nelson
Business Location
United States
All of our techs (when we were a larger company) were paid by the hour. Then we joined Service Team Of Professionals with Mack Clark. (for those of you that didnt know Mack, he was a Management Genius) He told us we needed to change our pay to commission. Since our people were on hourly so long and getting paid fairly well there was a lot of resistance. So I told my top tech that for the next two weeks she was going to be paid hourly BUT we were going to keep tract of what she would have made if we were to change to commission. Needless to say after a week she begged me to change to commission.

What I would recommend is that you start them hourly until trained and then transfer over to commission.
Thank you. That's very helpful.

Do you recall how your commission structure was set up? I really don't know where to start.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
just a suggestion....
25% of gross
up to 50%(total) for
-add-ons,
-new customers they find
- up to 50% for low pay jobs - hotels & apts.
after hour work.

It sounds like a lot, but this is the way to build your customer base.

Reactions: TLC CARPET CLEANING

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If you vet your guys right commission would be the ticket. I started out in this business commission and worked my way up to commission plus bonuses when I exceeded sales goals for the week. I didn't sell bull crap to the customer, I just started earlier than the rest of the fleet and had time in the day left to pick up jobs from the other slackers at the company that were hungover. Early bird gets the worm just as easy as the second mouse gets the cheese.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke