Commissioned employees start times

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Can you enforce a start time and or write up if late? We start at 7:30 each morning and have an employee that feels like he doesn’t need to be on time. Are write ups enforceable with commission employees?

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Put that in the employee manual or part of application. If hes able to show up late for work he will start showing up late to customers. He's using your tools and equipment so you can enforce discipline. If hes using his own its a different story. At least in texas it is.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I'd say yes. It get a little different with subcontractors. But employees are still bound by your rules.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Employees are required to follow your rules no matter how they get paid. But, the rules must be clear and not arbitrary. Putting a start time in the company employee manual or at least posting a sign. The employee manual can makes the consequences clear. Maybe verbal warning, write-up firing for too many late arrivals in a certain period.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
if hes doing great and making you money then I would allow his job to be more laid back.

if hes showing up late and hes not really killin it, then I would probably enforce it.

A lot of big money tech companies here work that way, you can show up at 10am or whenever and work later hours... but you better bring it

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Rob, seems your having employee problems lately. Employees should have Clearly Stated Expectations. If you expect them to start at 8am, then that's a Clearly Stated Expectation. If "they feel" like they can come in later, maybe next week "they feel" that they can skip using the CRB. Where does it stop?

Worse yet, other employees notice this behavior and all of a sudden everyone "feels like" they can do whatever they want.

You need to stay in control.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
sounds like a saleman?

leave em be if he's killing it like mentioned above.

unless it's a called meet then that would be different. hard too makes sales call at 7:30am im assuming he's sales anyway

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
I'm sure you have a schedule to keep( for you and your customers) and employees need to understand that. I might not fire them but docking their pay might have a nice result.
I dock pay from my guys for not cleaning their vehicles. I don't the first couple times but after that I let them know if I have to do it; I get payed. :)

Aug 9, 2018
Real Name
Alice Taylor
Can you enforce a start time and or write up if late? We start at 7:30 each morning and have an employee that feels like he doesn’t need to be on time. Are write-ups enforceable with commission employees?
I'd say yes.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Rob, seems your having employee problems lately. Employees should have Clearly Stated Expectations. If you expect them to start at 8am, then that's a Clearly Stated Expectation. If "they feel" like they can come in later, maybe next week "they feel" that they can skip using the CRB. Where does it stop?

Worse yet, other employees notice this behavior and all of a sudden everyone "feels like" they can do whatever they want.

You need to stay in control.
Just the same one.

May 5, 2017
Real Name
Randy Herman
Is he in sales? If so, is there anything for him to do at 7:30. My experience is commissioned employees should only be expected to do work that makes them money. If he is just comming in at 7:30 to do busy work i wouldn't be in then either. If he is on time to appointments and doing well for you i would leave him be.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Have the routes set out on the desk and have them so it’s first come first serve. The first tech in gets the best route in with the biggest jobs and the last guy in gets all the little jobs.

That will give them incentive.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
All of our employees work on commission. Write ups are absolutely enforceable, the are still Employees and not 1099 contractors.

And yes, get those employees under control or get rid of them quick, it spreads like cancer. If you have a strong enough team sometimes they push that employee out on their own...

Todd's suggestion is good, but that can also cause a "Top Dog" effect, where other techs stop trying as hard because they know that one guy is always going to get in first.

Management is the art of "Losing Control" which sounds strange at first, but you'll never build a large and big profitable business by micromanaging employees.

Figure out ways to motivate and incentive driven culture and you will good employees who do the right thing as a result. Don't lose sleep over bad apples, remove them quickly and watch things grow naturally.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Management is the art of "Losing Control"
I totally agree with the post but the Fifth Function of Management is Control. What I think you meant was Management is the art of "Losing Responsibilities". Management should always be In Control.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
It's not losing control as much as empowering good people.
People don't fail, systems fail.
Have everything clearly laid out up front, including all the ways you can get yourself fired by not following the system.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
That's what Losing Control means. As the Manager it's your job to delegate and empower your people just like you said.

That also means not directly doing the job yourself. Becoming a Manager means working with your people, not doing their jobs or berating them for not being as good as you were.

They call it the "Art of Losing Control" because you essentially build this team that does it all without you. If you were hit by a bus tomorrow the team would still function perfectly without you. That's difficult to do!