Commercial portables vs residential portables | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Commercial portables vs residential portables

Dadio

May 14, 2020
Real Name
Mark
As I shop for portables, some are claiming that their machines can only be used on Commercial Applications.

What is a good residential and commercial machine?

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
Commercial are usually bonnet machines. Check out the VLM forum. Residential are usually hot water extraction. Most customers want to see a truckmount. So if you are going to use a portable get one that looks professional like the Nautilus.

Dadio

May 14, 2020
Real Name
Mark
The Nautilus, yes an impressive looking machine and when you open up the instructions

it specifically says the machine is intended for Commercial Settings and I'm assuming it

may be too heavy of an electrical need for residential wiring. I hear people popping breakers

and that might explain it right in the directions. How reliable is a portable?

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
The LX motors run near the limit. So if you have a bad breaker it is likely to trip. The 3 stage motors are not as likely to trip breakers

As long as you don’t abuse it and let foam get into the motors the portables can last decades. I still use my Ninja Classic from 1990’s. Most consist of two vacuum motors and a pump which is pretty easy to replace.

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
Commercial carpet can be cleaned with a portable, but it will wick. So you should post bonnet with encap. That’s why I suggest you learn VLM before buying a machine.

Dadio

May 14, 2020
Real Name
Mark
I'm a little aprehensive as my customers will kinda be my guinea pigs. I'm really afraid of encap. I did a ride along with a bonnet guy years ago and he vacuumed the carpets, sprayed down some orange

smelly stuff and ran his bonnet over the carpet once and practically ran out the door snatching his check on the way. He claimed to do eight or nine jobs a day and I decided not to buy his franchise. I do see some of the vids that seem to do alot better job than he did but I just can't get that nightmare scenario out of my mind. I did go to IIcrc training but I'm still not so confident. I probably overthinking the whole thing as one of the other posters said.

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
Most use HWE on residential and either HWE or VLM on commercial. I agree with you VLM is gross. But it’s what makes the money. If just using a portable, start with apartments or empty rentals. You can use a portable on residential but most homeowners want to see a truckmount. Or you could get a portable which is powerful enough to do both.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
we got us a troll you guys are too easy

7fc4428ab27683cd55cb4ddf5a460d29 (1).jpg

Dadio

May 14, 2020
Real Name
Mark
You've been sniffing the Botanical Sanitizing agents. I'm not a Troll.

Dadio

May 14, 2020
Real Name
Mark
I see Mytee has a portable with last step chemical injection. I did not see that before. That would be better for rinse agents and preserving the warranty.

abooker

Dec 18, 2019
Real Name
Andrae S Booker
As I shop for portables, some are claiming that their machines can only be used on Commercial Applications.

What is a good residential and commercial machine?
Where are you located?
I have a: Brand New, Never Used Carpet Cleaner/Water Extractor for sale, great for carpet cleaning or restoration business
  • I have a Water Claw (the real water claw)-brand new in the Box Never Used
  • I have a Prospector® PE5003 Carpet Extractor with Heat, 500 PSI, Dual 3‑Stage motors with (carpet wand) and all of the hoses and connectors- retail price for the machine alone is typically about $4,000, I'm asking much less
  • I'm asking for $2,100 for 5,000 dollars worth of Brand New Never Used Equipment everything you need included plus water claw
  • Please go ahead and google the prices you will never have a deal this good on Brand New equipment ever again
  • Some Pics attached - Serious inquiries only 201-824-6555 text first then call or email service@polished-restoration.com

Attachments

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I see Mytee has a portable with last step chemical injection. I did not see that before. That would be better for rinse agents and preserving the warranty.
I'm primarily a Truck Mount guy now. But I still use a portable on some jobs. I started my business with a pick up truck and a portable. A Mytee M5 and a rotary. You can do a dam good job with a Mytee portable and a rotary like the Mytee T Rex Jr. I would suggest toy look into getting the Mytee 7303 LX Vacuum Booster. Don't let the name fool you. This small versital light weight machine has the approximately the same vacuum power as my Hydramaster CDS Truck Mount at 100' Here's link to the machine. https://www.mytee.com/products/7303lx-vacuum-booster/

Then pair it up with the 7304 Water Hog Pressure Sprayer. It goes up to 1,200 psi like my Hydramaster so you can not only clean carpet and upholstery but tile and grout too. https://www.mytee.com/products/7304-water-hog/

You pair those two very portable and versatile machines up with a Mytee T Res Jr. and you'll be able to do as good a job as anyone using a truck mount. May take you a bit longer but you'll get the job done. https://www.mytee.com/products/t-rex-jr-total-rotary-extractor/#.Vw7Ri5MrJEJ

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Dadio

May 14, 2020
Real Name
Mark
Will the pump handle being hooked up to hot water or should I get a downline heater?

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
The pumps can handle hot water up to around 140 degrees which is what most water heaters put out

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

gborris

Dec 27, 2018
Real Name
Grant Borris
Yes. You only need high heat on greasy restaurants.

If you really want high heat, you will need a gas truckmount. The electric machines can’t keep up.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

abooker

Dec 18, 2019
Real Name
Andrae S Booker
Brand New, Never Used Carpet Cleaner/Water Extractor for sale, great for carpet cleaning or restoration business
  • I have a Water Claw (the real water claw)-brand new in the Box Never Used
  • I have a Prospector® PE5003 Carpet Extractor with Heat, 500 PSI, Dual 3‑Stage motors with (carpet wand) and all of the hoses and connectors- retail price for the machine alone is typically about $4,000, I'm asking much less
  • I'm asking for $1,800 for 5,000 dollars worth of Brand New Never Used Equipment everything you need included plus water claw
  • Please go ahead and google the prices you will never have a deal this good on Brand New equipment ever again
  • Some Pics attached - Serious inquiries only 201-824-6555 text first then call or email service@polished-restoration.com

Attachments