Commercial Kitchen Floor Degreasing Options

wonderboy

Nov 20, 2018
Real Name
Tyler Smiley
Hey cleaners, hoping to get some advice. Just got a new commercial client with a very greasy kitchen. Thinking I might need some new equipment, some kind of steam cleaner. Would really appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
We cant help unless you give us some information. What equipment do you currently have? How often do you clean it? What kind of floor is it? Basics...

wonderboy

Nov 20, 2018
Real Name
Tyler Smiley
We cant help unless you give us some information. What equipment do you currently have? How often do you clean it? What kind of floor is it? Basics...
I have no commercial grade degreasing equipment at this point. I am using hot water, purple power degreaser, scrub brushes, and rags. I have an ORB 550MC that I can use. It is large tile floor. Walls are a textured vinyl (horrible). Cleaning will be monthly. I am interested in equipment for floor, walls, and appliances.

I'm thinking I have to go with some kind of steam and wetvac combo to make any real progress. Found an Alkota hot water pressure washer for $950. Thinking that might be a decent option since there is good drainage.

Thanks for any help.

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Grease isn't easy to get rid of without some serious equipment. Steam machines that can clean areas of quantity are very expensive. Thousands... they are very specialized and only use 220v power. The smaller units you see for sale would take forever to clean a small kitchen.
To clean the floor, you need either a small autoscrubber or a truckmount and a spinner. Some high performance portables can run a spinner, but without heat it's tough.
There are no easy answers for you. A strong degreaser from your local janitorial supply store or an enzyme grease eating product... mixed with alot of scrubbing and a shop vac and then a neutralizing mop.
A small autoscrubber for about 2k would be about your cheapest option.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
175 and blue mal grit brush

and grout master

heat is huge help can be done without it. just takes more time.

your dilemma is charging enough too make it worth it but your also working with less than desirable equipment as of right now.

would i spend thousands on one account? possibly if i could or wanted too target more of that particular market.

most hate kitchens btw

Nov 20, 2018
Real Name
Tyler Smiley
Grease isn't easy to get rid of without some serious equipment. Steam machines that can clean areas of quantity are very expensive. Thousands... they are very specialized and only use 220v power. The smaller units you see for sale would take forever to clean a small kitchen.
To clean the floor, you need either a small autoscrubber or a truckmount and a spinner. Some high performance portables can run a spinner, but without heat it's tough.
There are no easy answers for you. A strong degreaser from your local janitorial supply store or an enzyme grease eating product... mixed with alot of scrubbing and a shop vac and then a neutralizing mop.
A small autoscrubber for about 2k would be about your cheapest option.

Thanks! Sounds like I need to try some new chemicals for starters. I'll go on an exploratory shopping venture. Jon Don is the nearest big supplier for me. I'll give the enzymatic stuff a shot and see what happens.

So sounds like the Alkota would help but might be a waste of money in the end then? It maxes temperature at 194 degrees if that helps eliminate it entirely. I was thinking I could use a deck scrubber head to minimize splash back and follow behind with wetvac.

As far as truckmount all I have seen in my area (seattle) is hydramasters. Does a hydramaster have attachments to use for degreasing?

I found a 98 E-150 van running with a hydramaster CDS w/ 5400 hours for a little under 7k.

If the Alkota won't work long term maybe I look into a truckmount that I can combo for carpet cleaning and degreasing. Thanks for the thorough response!

Nov 20, 2018
Real Name
Tyler Smiley
175 and blue mal grit brush

and grout master

heat is huge help can be done without it. just takes more time.

your dilemma is charging enough too make it worth it but your also working with less than desirable equipment as of right now.

would i spend thousands on one account? possibly if i could or wanted too target more of that particular market.

most hate kitchens btw
Hey Mike, Thanks!

Kitchen's are miserable. I only do them for long term commercial clients, and I have only done very few so far. Based on smltwn janitorials responses I am thinking a truckmount that can combo into degreasing will be my most efficient bet for building the business overall.

As far as targeting this market I have 4 clients I could immediately take over accounts for if I started doing commercial grade kitchen cleaning (hoods and full kitchen). I think the profit margin isn't as good as office cleaning but if it's a door to weekly or daily bar & restaurant I consider it a gain.

I get the feeling I should know this, but not sure what you mean by 175.

Another option is go for a low end steam unit at 150-200 just to be able to apply constant heat, use an enzymatic degreaser, and blast away with deck brush or my 550. Then save that 800$ and buy a higher end unit in a month when I have the scratch. Do any low end units provide enough heat to really improve my time against no heat?

Thanks Mike!

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
A truckmount can run a "tile spinner." Do some youtube searching and you can get some ideas. Restaurants aren't known to pay particularly well but I'm sure there are exceptions. If you are mechanically inclined a used truckmount can be found for 5-10k. Do some reading and keep learning.

Nov 20, 2018
Real Name
Tyler Smiley
A truckmount can run a "tile spinner." Do some youtube searching and you can get some ideas. Restaurants aren't known to pay particularly well but I'm sure there are exceptions. If you are mechanically inclined a used truckmount can be found for 5-10k. Do some reading and keep learning.
Perfect. I'll read up on tile spinners and hydras. Since I can double it up I think I will go the truckmount route. Thanks for the pointers.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
175 is a low speed floor buffer

just so you know hood cleaning is a whole different animal and chems!!
usually caustic stuff also the good guys use pressure washers and roof access too vents too do it properly. there's a lot involved since its a requirement for their hoods too be cleaned , least in my area

Nov 20, 2018
Real Name
Tyler Smiley
With all that's involved and needed ie; truckmount, tools, chems, time, aggravation, nasty grease of the job, ususally lousy paying customers, night hours, etc. You'd be more profitable just buying a hotdog truck and relax.
The trick is using the grease build greek statues and selling them. Authentic FRY GREASE ZEUS!!!!!! Getchyour authentic FRY GREASE ZEUS. Yeah, sounds like I shouldn't build a whole branch of my business around degreasing. I think a tile spinner or grease wand off of a truckmount might make sense, but that's about it. In the mean time I'll get some better product and keep scrubbing for this client.

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
The trick is using the grease build greek statues and selling them. Authentic FRY GREASE ZEUS!!!!!! Getchyour authentic FRY GREASE ZEUS. Yeah, sounds like I shouldn't build a whole branch of my business around degreasing. I think a tile spinner or grease wand off of a truckmount might make sense, but that's about it. In the mean time I'll get some better product and keep scrubbing for this client.
Would you like fries with that grease? LOL

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Hilliard make some super good to greasers going to your janitorial supply and ask him what they've got normally they've got some pretty Rock and stuff. You also need to bump up into some stupid levels of heat 220/240 and I found people put too much emphasis on pressure and not enough emphasis on flow lots of gallons per minute and about a thousand PSI is all you need. Agitation is absolutely critical as well