Commercial Carpet Disaster | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Commercial Carpet Disaster

Cowboyjones

Nov 28, 2013
Real Name
Alan jones
OK-

I will figure out how to post the pictures in a second-

I have a commercial account where we clean the same carpet every 3 weeks. This account has been active since 2002.

WE go up, pre spray, clean and leave. Spray Scotch Guard when we are done and walk away. Now this is a power plant so we are dealing with fine goal dust and other just crap.

Lately we have had major staining and browning coming back. We haven't changed our process one bit, but now we have a customer who thinks we are doing something wrong.

Anyone have any advice in this? My plan this coming week is to take time and pre vac and use our pile lifter. We will also pre spray and scrub with orbitals. We will then clean it with a rotovac. Then I will go back over it and pre spray and clean with a wand as normal. Hoping we just need to get a really good rinse back in the carpet. I dont know what else the problem would be.

Anyone have any experience in this?

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
If what you are stating is the actual detail of your process,
then you are doing something wrong

1st thing that I noticed and dont feel bad just learn (we are all still learning)

is:
You are not pre vacuuming
Also
you are not agitating/scrubbing.
and
But most importantly you have not done well on communicating with your client,
What I mean by this is that when you first got the account you really should have done a thorough walk through, identified the carpet and taken notes on the sub floors condition and environment, this information should have been given to the customer along with expectations, complications and alternatives to cleaning and how to maintain.

It almost seems as if you are just going in and spraying and rinsing"cleaning" and spraying scotch guard and you're out!

Maybe I got it wrong but it seems like you need to slow down.

How to correct will be based on the exact situation.
please post photos, fiber ID, type of sub floor, what you are doing, and materials you are using and the tools you are using.

Cowboyjones

Nov 28, 2013
Real Name
Alan jones
If what you are stating is the actual detail of your process,
then you are doing something wrong

1st thing that I noticed and dont feel bad just learn (we are all still learning)

is:
You are not pre vacuuming
Also
you are not agitating/scrubbing.
and
But most importantly you have not done well on communicating with your client,
What I mean by this is that when you first got the account you really should have done a thorough walk through, identified the carpet and taken notes on the sub floors condition and environment, this information should have been given to the customer along with expectations, complications and alternatives to cleaning and how to maintain.

It almost seems as if you are just going in and spraying and rinsing"cleaning" and spraying scotch guard and you're out!

Maybe I got it wrong but it seems like you need to slow down.

How to correct will be based on the exact situation.
please post photos, fiber ID, type of sub floor, what you are doing, and materials you are using and the tools you are using.

You are absolutely correct. One of the biggest problems is we are not pre vacuuming. We do agitate, but not with our full intent. One of the biggest problems is in the room we are having the most issues with is operated 24/7 so on top of the fact that people are always walking around on wet carpet when we clean, we are forced to rush through the job because they have a job to perform. It is a perfect example of a terrible storm. In a perfect world I would be able to go in there and vac, pile lift, spray agitate and rinse and clean until its clean.

In a different section of the building we have noticed some terrible browning. We start vacuuming, agitating and pile lifting there (we found out they close this area so we wait until they are gone for 8 hours and take our time. However the same issues are still arising. We are getting browning if it takes us 30 minutes or 120 minutes. Once it dries, it looks like garbage.

CrazyRay

Oct 22, 2012
Dallas,Tx.
Real Name
Ray Waits
Business Location
United States
Without seeing it or knowing anything else I would say you need to rinse more thoroughly and take extra drying strokes.
Probably getting a buildup of chemical residue. You might use blowers on the job to get it dry quicker.

Reactions: floorclean

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Is your pre-spray alkaline or acidic ? If you've been using alkaline all these years switch over to an acid prespray.

Reactions: PistolPete

Latest posts