Color loss on Wool Rug DUE Tuesday?! Please HELP ! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Color loss on Wool Rug DUE Tuesday?! Please HELP !

OceanClnrs

Dec 17, 2018
Real Name
Sandy Henriquez
Hello TMF!

We have an issue with some light grey color loss on a Wool Rug. It is a cream color rug, with grey criss-cross/diamond patterns.

There were 3 dark dirt stains, one of which was located on one corner. We used one of our green label high traffic spotters safe on synthetic and wool on it, AFTER testing it. All looked good 2 of the spots, but on the corner stain, it removed part of the light grey pattern on it!

Still not dry, so we can't tell the full extent of the damage, but it looks like it was indeed color loss!

How do we fix it? What type of dye for example is used on rugs? All we know is RIT...

Thank you so much in advance for any feedback provided. Immensely appreciated.

OceanClnrs

Dec 17, 2018
Real Name
Sandy Henriquez
The spotter info:
"The surfactant in Trashed Green is organic.

Contains Citrus (delimonene) to remove oil based stains.

Contains Oxygen (peroxide) to remove organic stains like coffee and urine."

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I'll just tell you what I suspect, but I could be wrong so take it for what it's worth. I think the dark colored stripes are the viscose and that is why the color was removed by what is probably a normally safe for naturals spotter. There is one other possibility and that would be that the stain itself upset the dye in that area. There are numbers of things that could do that including dog urine and any number of household cleaners, even Windex. If the rug was urinated on I can pretty much guarantee it caused the color loss. I hope your client isn't too upset about it, but I wouldn't claim fault on this. Chances are that viscose in there is the real problem. I would be extremely careful spotting any rug with viscose in it.

Was the spotter used on the light parts of the rug w/o any harm? Good point to bring up with your customer. I warn my customers to avoid viscose like the plague.

Last edited:

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I concur with wizard , I'll bet it's the viscose. That stuff is what used to be called Rayon. It's incredibly weak physically and chemically. It also breaks down in water.

Reactions: wandwizard

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Another possibility is a violent reaction. When Harry Home Owner uses crap like resolve and then the residue just lays there, it will offen react to professional cleaning agents in a violent way. Most of the time that reaction will cause "Reactive Yellowing". Other times color loss. Hard to be completely certain without asking investigative questions to the owner and of course, seeing it in person.

Last edited:

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
The spotter info:
"The surfactant in Trashed Green is organic.

Contains Citrus (delimonene) to remove oil based stains.

Contains Oxygen (peroxide) to remove organic stains like coffee and urine."
You really should've called Magic Wand on this before using it. As a rule I would avoid using Trashed Green on any natural fiber even though they state on their web page it can be used on oriental rugs I simply wouldn't do it. That rug has not one, but 3 fibers that can fairly easily be adversely affected by strong peroxides, especially the viscose. I'd be careful of using it on anything but synthetic upholstery fabrics as well. I know it's been around a number of years and might be a great product. I just know all too well what can happen when you use anything with peroxide on naturals. The strongest peroxide I'd attempt to use is 1/2 product with 1/2 distilled water or even weaker use the 3% drug store variety. Even then it should be well rinsed as the last step. It shouldn't be left on to continue to work. Most likely it will work that color right out of there! Sometimes it's better for the customer to live with a stain than to be blamed for ruining their prized possessions!

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I am not a chemist....
But I don't like either one of those products....on wool....

Delimuneme....not good to breath...
Oxygen peroxide can bleach if you put too much on or apply too much heat for too long........

I use chemspec oriental rug...
Pre spray with fiber rinse....
Mist on rug cleaner......
Rinse with fiber rinse...turn heat down...

I have also used robs secret formula
Ph 7.5?????

What was the Ph on the gren rug cleaner

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Ocean, it looks like you put the trashed in and didn't mix well and you burned that area with the chems.

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
It doesn't look like the lighter colors were effected? I've had luck going to Michael's grab a marker with the closest color to that grey. Start coloring. If you blend well enough shouldn't be able to see it.

OceanClnrs

Dec 17, 2018
Real Name
Sandy Henriquez
I think a combination of these things could have happened!

Thank you ALL so much for this feedback! May prevent this from happening again.

Now, any advise on how to remedy at all? I know some pros out there can do a color correction/add color back when this happens.

Are there dyes out there other than RIT that pros in the field use?

OceanClnrs

Dec 17, 2018
Real Name
Sandy Henriquez
It doesn't look like the lighter colors were effected? I've had luck going to Michael's grab a marker with the closest color to that grey. Start coloring. If you blend well enough shouldn't be able to see it.
Thanks Mike! We were leaning towards trying that out. Hopefully that helps!

Appreciate all the support & feedback!

OceanClnrs

Dec 17, 2018
Real Name
Sandy Henriquez
I am not a chemist....
But I don't like either one of those products....on wool....

Delimuneme....not good to breath...
Oxygen peroxide can bleach if you put too much on or apply too much heat for too long........

I use chemspec oriental rug...
Pre spray with fiber rinse....
Mist on rug cleaner......
Rinse with fiber rinse...turn heat down...

I have also used robs secret formula
Ph 7.5?????

What was the Ph on the gren rug cleaner
We haven't tried Rob's Secret formula! We have been looking to try out new chems though, so we will now. Thank you for the tip!

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Yeah. Throw that green stuff out......

And always check ph......

Hope ur marker thing works
I went tell her until u try the marker

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I agree with the comments that the section affected is probably viscose / rayon. Peroxide will remove color from viscose.

The marker idea is as good as any as long as you are yup-front with the client and not trying to hide anything.

Chris Howell's air brush dye service for rugs may be expensive but worthwhile if the rug is valuable and you find yourself on the hook for replacement. Chris is based in Maryland, but he has folks he has trained all around the country. He can put you in touch with someone to dye this back just as it originally was.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Do a little research on viscose (Cleanfax in particular has multiple articles on it) and it will go a looooooooooong way on helping you to avoid this problem in the future. Customers are buying more and more viscose products, in part because of somewhat shady naming conventions - like art silk, bamboo silk, etc - which mislead them into thinking they're getting something durable and valuable.

In reality, this particular fiber has done more damage to the rug cleaning industry than anything that's come our way in decades. And it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Hindsight is 20/20, but from here forward make doubly sure you check the tag on the back of the rug and look for terms like viscose, rayon, Model, Tencel, art/bamboo silk, etc. If you see them, stop and educate the customer before you make any guarantees of cleanability or improvement.