Cold Client Operators

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
This is the first year I’ll have expensive equipment to keep safe during the winter. It gets cold here.... ALREADY SNOWED! Lol winterizing long term I think I’d just run rv antifreeze (or whatever anyone says is best) through my pump, wands that don’t get used much. How do you care for machines used regularly? Any help I’d appreciate.

LeeRoy

Feb 13, 2010
Arizona
Real Name
Lee Coking
Business Location
United States
I cover my truckmount with two large moving blankets. Also park vehicle inside garage if you’re able.

Reactions: Luky

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Put 2 heaters in van. The little fan ones. Each one on its own circuit. Get a wireless thermometer. Place thermometer in center somewhere away from heaters. This way you can check without opening the van. Antifreeze can use winter winshield washer fluid in critical places like the pump. Tools you can drain by pressing on the tip of the qd or better to have a qd not connected to anything this will allow air in to drain while you do other stuff. Or even use air compressor to blow out water. Lines? Im not sure if they will burst or not. I never tested it lol. Fill hose again just drain out before rolling up.

Reactions: Luky

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Many have insulated their vans this helps alot. Another tip is if you cant get into a garage. If you can at least get against a wall this will help block the wind from sapping heat off the sheet metal walls and floor.

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
Got to insulate the van. I uses the foil looking bubble rap insulation. Thick foam for the floor. I checked into spray foam but it was like a thousand dollars. Use 2 heaters on 2 separate circuits. That is s must. Pop a breaker and you are screwed with just one.

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
" I’ll have expensive equipment to keep safe during the winter"

bring it inside with you you can use the expensive porty as an end table or night stand

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Wanted to say thx for the suggestions. Prob is we live 100% off the grid. So no garage, and running electric heaters is crazy hard on our small solar system. Keeping equipment inside is a option, but when your tiny house living that would make for a long long winter. My 2 portys I’m not using currently I drained and ran windshield wiper fluid thru my pump. And extra wands. The jag is so easy since I just stick the hose in the jug and let it come out. I may get a few moving blankets to toss over it. I also have a giant oil lantern to hopefully keep things even a tiny bit warmer. Most chemicals are powered. Often at this elevation 6400-8500 ft single digits at night arent uncommon. The good thing is day temps are more mild usually and when the suns out even when it’s cold the sun is strong. I’m going to take out non essential gear. Some I may store under the bed or something. I’ll have to get creative quick!

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Got to insulate the van. I uses the foil looking bubble rap insulation. Thick foam for the floor. I checked into spray foam but it was like a thousand dollars. Use 2 heaters on 2 separate circuits. That is s must. Pop a breaker and you are screwed with just one.
I’ve got a roll of double bubble insulation. I’m going to spray glue it to the roof.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
I’ve got a roll of double bubble insulation. I’m going to spray glue it to the roof.
See if a builders supply has Dow foam sheets . Sometimes the big box places have broken ones you can get for almost nothing or free .
Closed cell foam . Take the extractor out and put the sheet down then put extractor on top . Keep some cold from floor getting to it .
Shove a moving blanket under it and then over it as well .
Wands and hand tools bring inside . Hope it helps .
All the Best , Ed

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I used to love the heat but I’ll take the cold these days. High heat I feel terrible in. I like the cold fresh mountain air, clean sky’s. Looks like a planetarium each night. We have acres between neighbors. Can’t beat it. Sure not a life style for the timid however.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I used to love the heat but I’ll take the cold these days. High heat I feel terrible in. I like the cold fresh mountain air, clean sky’s. Looks like a planetarium each night. We have acres between neighbors. Can’t beat it. Sure not a life style for the timid however.
I like cold. Takes a little bit to get used to. But after a couple weeks it has no effect on me. Unless some bastard gets me sick. Cold and sick sucks. Almost as bad as cold and rain. 33° and rain is like some BS joke :( My house is usually around 58° inside. Too bad ac cant get it that cold in summer.

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Lol, you and I are a lot alike. It’s in the high 60s inside my house right and I have the fan blowing on me! Yea cold wet rain sucks! We don’t get too much rain in AZ here but a lot more then where people think of when they think AZ. We’re not in the dry desert. Crazy if we drive 3 hrs were in Saguaro Cactus Desert and a entirely different world. 70% or more of our population bails when the temps get cold, and they flood back in summer to cool off. Good part is 9 mths their gone unless they come up to their second and third homes for the holidays. If we get good snow Airbnb visitors flood in, and outdoors lovers.

Reactions: keep it clean

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
What temperature is considered "too cold" for equipment?

@AZHome&Carpet You got two portys? Any reason why you decided on two portys vs running one and saving for a TM? Reason I ask is because I am thinking of buying a 2nd porty and then save for a TM (maybe since I only do commercial).

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
If you are off grid and in a tiny home it might be worth renting a heated space to keep your equipment. I would love to rent a commercial building with room to park a few trucks and shelves to store extra chemicals. I could get my garage back for other things.

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Pelham Bay, Bronx New York
www.pelhambaycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
This is the first year I’ll have expensive equipment to keep safe during the winter. It gets cold here.... ALREADY SNOWED! Lol winterizing long term I think I’d just run rv antifreeze (or whatever anyone says is best) through my pump, wands that don’t get used much. How do you care for machines used regularly? Any help I’d appreciate.
Don't overlook all your tools, valves and hoses.

Any space that there may be water left, especially between fittings.

Open ended q/c's help make draining easier, and extras ones are a must have over the winter, as well as any other brass fittings and couplers you may need.

Plug them on and BLOW.

Hydroforce pipe holds water between q/c's also.

Anti-drip check-valves on wand jets?

Leave all ball valves open.

Lots of little areas water can hide, so go over everything.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
You have to admit that I didn't take one shot at your long posts without merit. I'm saying that not rk disrespect you, its all for your own good. I get it, you live off the grid, days and evenings are hard and your high end gigs are tiring. Sometimes is good to read a few articles, get your feet wet, before you starting to contribute. Otherwise is just the bunch of questions and repeat common knowledge phrases being used over and over.
Now, what winterizing means in your neck of woods. If you're continuously using your equipment, all you want to do , is keep it safe.@Odin wasn't really joking, make equipment part of your living quarters, If you have to. It's yout lively hood. There is no shame in it. You can buy thermo blanket, itll cost you another hondo or 2, but these blankets retain heat or prevent frost getting in. You loose only 1° in hour, so with that ratio and a little heat , you're set to go. I would keep a few sections of solution lines on hand . It takes only a few seconds( not minutes)for solution line to freeze. That's why have spare ones. You can solve freezing issue thawing it out in bath tub. It happens to best of us. The key is, once you get water flowing, never let go. Jusy to be safe, don't be too proud and try to operate your equipment on inside, little noise didn't hurt no one. Keep an extra eye on upholstery and carpet tools, these are coming with you as you entering house. Have some male and female QD's on hand, o-ring and seals have tendency go first.. Some chemistry can recover after being frozen, some will turn milky and goes bad. Make sure thay you have Nyco Trax buster, or similar, to take care of salts deposit( hard like a rock) developing quickly as homeowners use melting salt liberally. Have a bunch of shoe covers.
50 % will go bad first time of frost getting to them, as rubber band inside breaks Minor, but important. One thing to remember.. Give yourself plenty of timr getting to a location, setting up and breaking down will take a lot longer to the point that you'll became incapacitated because of frost. Sometimes you have to carry a showel, so you can reach driveways..., salt is necessity also. We wish you perfect winter survival, you greenhorn...

Latest posts