Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Bible thumpers get it right
Right On...Or Right OFF? Fuk..... they dunno Know more than I do..I just happen to choose NOT to believe Biographies..written by who the Hell knows and Interpretated by who the hell Knows...

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I've only done two trauma scene cleanups (one unattended death, one bleedout) but two was enough. I had a background in vet medicine so I figured hey, if I can handle assisting surgeries I can do this. Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

The fact that they were people I knew probably didn't help, either.

BBP training is crucial, of course, and knowing how to deal with grieving family, but it's the inability to shake the fact that these were human beings who have now ceased to exist, and you're wiping away what remains of their last moments on earth, that haunts you. If you don't have the strength of mind to compartmentalize that fact and never touch it again, it will quite literally drive you mad.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I've only done two trauma scene cleanups (one unattended death, one bleedout) but two was enough. I had a background in vet medicine so I figured hey, if I can handle assisting surgeries I can do this. Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

The fact that they were people I knew probably didn't help, either.

BBP training is crucial, of course, and knowing how to deal with grieving family, but it's the inability to shake the fact that these were human beings who have now ceased to exist, and you're wiping away what remains of their last moments on earth, that haunts you. If you don't have the strength of mind to compartmentalize that fact and never touch it again, it will quite literally drive you mad.

Thanks

Mentally I have no doubt that I could handle this type of work. I personally don't want to become de sensitized towards people. I've known a few in the medical and funeral business that naturally develop a callousness or indifference towards people.

That's the part I wouldn't want to succumb too, we love people and working with people.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

NTC

Sep 23, 2014
VA
Real Name
Neil Carson
Business Location
United States
I've found myself on the other end of that equation, where it was difficult to find someone to take the job, when you are dealing with situation that created the job need. Not fun...

Reactions: Mama Fen

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I've found myself on the other end of that equation, where it was difficult to find someone to take the job, when you are dealing with situation that created the job need. Not fun...

Precisely why I wound up doing those two, Neil. One was my mother, and I wanted to make sure everything was done by the book.

I'm sure the emotional attachment was part of what made it so difficult, but even putting that aside, dealing with a violent, life-ending event is not something anyone should ever get into lightly.