Cleaning up Feces

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Feb 28, 2016
Real Name
marc payne
I had a customer call about cleaning up a room where patient had shit on carpets and walls.
Is that considered Biohazard and if so
Is it required a Special company clean that up.
If it something I were to do what would be the proper safety procedure's and charge for 1 room.
Does it price more by the hour.
Thanks

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
I personally would not do that type of job for health reasons, that would definitely be a cleaning for biohazard.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
That’s a close call. Let’s ask @Scott W

Feb 28, 2016
Real Name
marc payne
I know what your saying
But then I was thinking how many times have I cleaned up carpet that has dog shit in urine in it or many times old people places that I'm sure could have not been dog urine but human urine.
We just never knowing unless the customer tells us what it is.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
A match and lighter fluid. Clean.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Its definitely a biohazard, id clean it.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
North Carolina
www.shopcleansource.com
Real Name
Amy Barnes
Business Location
United States
Human fecal matter can contain pathogenic bacteria and must be treated as biohazardous waste. Traditionally, bio cleanup companies charge for labor (which is substantially higher than that of regular carpet cleaning), cost of PPE and chemicals/antimicrobials, and waste disposal.

We've all handled feces and urine from animals (which is significantly less dangerous in most cases, as only a handful of commonly-found species like bats and pigeons are capable of transmitting disease to humans through their waste; cats can transmit toxoplasmosis but this is more of a concern for women than for men), and quite often from people as well. And I hear a lot of guys say "Oh, it never hurt me, I don't need to do all that hazard-gear junk," but you only have to be wrong once to suffer possible permanent health issues.

Keep in mind that some viruses and bacteria can remain dormant in fecal matter for days, weeks, even months. So it's not 'safe' just because it's dried.

Please be careful and pair up with someone who has training and experience with biohazardous waste if you're going to get into something like this.