Cleaning Travertine

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rusty Nail

Mar 10, 2013
Real Name
Conrad Robinson
Business Location
United States
I am just starting out in the hard surface business. Can I clean travertine using my turbo spinner with the brush attachment? I did a search but could not find a answer. I appreciate any help.

Jul 25, 2009
FL
Real Name
Alberto Rivero
Business Location
United States
Just cleaning? yes alkaline solution and spinner.

Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
I'd start out at 500 psi, then move up as needed. Travertine is soft and will etch easier than you think. If its a flat finish, you can prescrub with Nyla grit or green pad. All dirt and stains will turn into a slurry an steam away at low pressure after that. Glossy finish needs to be rehoned.

Lance Golden

Jun 20, 2008
Phoenix,Az
gtcwc.com
Real Name
Lance Golden
Business Location
United States
I'd start out at 500 psi, then move up as needed. Travertine is soft and will etch easier than you think. If its a flat finish, you can prescrub with Nyla grit or green pad. All dirt and stains will turn into a slurry an steam away at low pressure after that. Glossy finish needs to be rehoned.
I don't even know where to begin with this... It sounds like you really need to see if Rob Fairfield is doing a class near you... ;)

Lance Golden

Jun 20, 2008
Phoenix,Az
gtcwc.com
Real Name
Lance Golden
Business Location
United States
I am just starting out in the hard surface business. Can I clean travertine using my turbo spinner with the brush attachment? I did a search but could not find a answer. I appreciate any help.
If you are just starting out, i would suggest taking a class of some kind on hard surface.
Most importantly, Travertine is calcium filled, so NO acids, unless you are trying to "etch"
Stay with "Neutral" stone and tile cleaners, and Water only rinses.
If you are going to be using your turbo w/ a TM, make sure you are using a brush ring with it.
As stated travertine is soft and WILL scratch easily.
Learning to properly "pre-Qualify" is always a good idea...Knowing what to look out for.

Lance Golden

Jun 20, 2008
Phoenix,Az
gtcwc.com
Real Name
Lance Golden
Business Location
United States
Yes, just cleaning. What PSI and water temp should I use?
Thanks
700-800 ATM should be ok.... You will need that much to turn the spinner. As far as heat... I don't think there is a limit... Using Rob Fairfield's quote "It's a rock!"
If it is damaged, it CAN be fixed!
I should have stated sooner that most of these rules apply to "other than acrylic finished tumbled".

jbc71

Jun 21, 2013
Real Name
jeffrey charles
Travertine is soft sweep floor first.. If a pebble, glass or something gets in the brush it will scratch across floor.

Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
Dont think anyone mentioned that you should only use the brush ring with your spinner. the teflon ring will scratch the stone. Use a non residue alkaline cleaner and rinse between 500 and 800 psi. watch out with higher pressure not to blast out any fillers if they are present.

Rusty Nail

Mar 10, 2013
Real Name
Conrad Robinson
Business Location
United States
If you are just starting out, i would suggest taking a class of some kind on hard surface.
Most importantly, Travertine is calcium filled, so NO acids, unless you are trying to "etch"
Stay with "Neutral" stone and tile cleaners, and Water only rinses.
If you are going to be using your turbo w/ a TM, make sure you are using a brush ring with it.
As stated travertine is soft and WILL scratch easily.
Learning to properly "pre-Qualify" is always a good idea...Knowing what to look out for.
I took a class in your neighborhood with Modern Stone at the Monterrey tile store. They did a great job teaching us how to grind, hone and polish all kinds of natural stone. We used a deck brush and grout brush to clean before grinding. I just wanted advise on using my spinner to clean the floor first. I appreciate everyone's comments and help.

kingjoelking

Mar 26, 2008
AZ
www.whatsinyourcarpets.com
Real Name
Joel Riggs
Business Location
United States

Yes with the brush ring. No with a teflon ring. NO ACID. Oh and dont sit in one place while you have the trigger pulled

Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
We did this Travertine a couple of weeks ago.
Never replies to any questions when asked. dont think I have ever seen anyone apply something to stone with a shop broom but hey we will never know because john is secretive;)

Jun 18, 2008
Winchester, Ky
Real Name
John Geurkink
Business Location
United States
I gladly reply to questions when I see them.....:rolleyes:

We applied a lithium silicate hardener to the travertine to harden it, then polished it, the only thing we applied after that was a NanoGuard to fill the holes, but we leave NO COATING on the stone at all when finished, let it breathe!

Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
I gladly reply to questions when I see them.....:rolleyes:

We applied a lithium silicate hardener to the travertine to harden it, then polished it, the only thing we applied after that was a NanoGuard to fill the holes, but we leave NO COATING on the stone at all when finished, let it breathe!
Maybe I am behind the times here but why would you "harden" travertine? is this the same hardner you used on that vct a few weeks back? sorry not trying to be a hardass but i did ask about the vct process several times and you never responded. I have been doing stone for years and never heard of anyone hardning it. what is the purpose of this?

Jun 18, 2008
Winchester, Ky
Real Name
John Geurkink
Business Location
United States
There is a ton of new stuff coming out for the stone industry, come visit Monday night on TRS Webinar to hear more from Stone expert Dana Kothrade.
link not valid

Last edited by a moderator: