Cleaning slate

ccclean

Mar 12, 2016
Real Name
Stephen Boisvert
I'm sure there is a thread on cleaning slate somewhere but I figured we could start the discussion again.

I have a slate floor and grout to clean. As far as I understand no acid on slate. How about high PH? Any other input would be great!

Reactions: john martinez

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I'm sure there is a thread on cleaning slate somewhere but I figured we could start the discussion again.

I have a slate floor and grout to clean. As far as I understand no acid on slate. How about high PH? Any other input would be great!
High PH should be fine Watch your PSI as slate can be damaged easier than a lot of other tile and stone. I'd start at the lowest recommended psi for the tool you are using and work up from there.

Find a good color enhancing sealer for it. Slate is really pretty with the right sealer. Interlink has a good one.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
We do tons of slate, its really common here in the PNW.

Groutmaster works really well on it and my favorite is sealing with Du Pont color enhancing sealer.

I love cleaning and sealing slate because it holds so much dirt and when it hasnt been cleaned in a while the before and after is pretty drastic.

You can use butchers block oil to fix scratches too if your customer has any, then youll really be the hero.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips

Groutmaster works really well on it and my favorite is sealing with Du Pont color enhancing sealer.

I love cleaning and sealing slate because it holds so much dirt and when it hasnt been cleaned in a while the before and after is pretty drastic.

You can use butchers block oil to fix scratches too if your customer has any, then youll really be the hero.
Could you explain how to use butchers block oil to fix scratches in slate?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
A high alkaline cleaner will do the trick. I prefer one made for stone that does not have the chelating agents found in tile cleaners.
Spinergy Stone Perfect - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CST01GL

You can use acid on slate, but it is seldom needed.

I like to apply a color enhancing sealer. That is what I did in my home.
angle 01 a.JPG
angle 01 b.JPG

Reactions: Robert86

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Pretty easy. You wet sand the oil basically with 3000 grit sandpaper
Ahh, so the oil is your lubricant for the sanding. I was trying to figure out how putting the oil over the scratch would fix it but that makes more sence.
Is there any trouble with finish application after doing this? Do you need to take steps to ensure any residue from the oil is removed?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Never had issues using color enhancing sealer after but you can only fix scratches in most colors of slate... I did this at a few jobs and some of the slate tiles it didn't work on. Most of them it worked really well.
Would you say it was an issue of the color of the slate or severity of the scratch?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Good info. I have a slate estimate this morning. I have a question. What if it has a topical sealer?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Good info. I have a slate estimate this morning. I have a question. What if it has a topical sealer?

There are a lot of possible polymers used for topical sealers. Some of them are a real pain to deal with. The rest are even worse. Removing topical sealer is a job I would try to avoid. Wish someone had given me that advice back in 1977 when I spend a week trying to remove a urethane coating from the entry to a Country club in Tullahoma.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Test the topical sealer to see what will take it off. It may come off with a stripper for VCT. It may take something like Coating Stripper. I think the label says 1 to 8 hours dwell time. Use with good ventilation.