Cleaning old brick

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
So we have a city owned Art gallery in town taking bids for exterior cleaning. about 50 feet high(Would rent a boon) And the brick is from 1910, looks to be in fair shape, but obvious signs of strong wear. Plan to soft wash/scrub only but wondering if Brick that old has any kind of chemical reactions i should worry about. Or what kind of wash mix would you recommend?

Mostly mildew build up, some spots have white residue(calcium/salt build up i suspect, its located under stone work primarily) Can upload pictures if you guys like.

Im pretty new to this, and am still trying to get my chems down for soft washing properly, the Job wont be until later this year/early next year by the sounds of things.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
So we have a city owned Art gallery in town taking bids for exterior cleaning. about 50 feet high(Would rent a boon) And the brick is from 1910, looks to be in fair shape, but obvious signs of strong wear. Plan to soft wash/scrub only but wondering if Brick that old has any kind of chemical reactions i should worry about. Or what kind of wash mix would you recommend?

Mostly mildew build up, some spots have white residue(calcium/salt build up i suspect, its located under stone work primarily) Can upload pictures if you guys like.

Im pretty new to this, and am still trying to get my chems down for soft washing properly, the Job wont be until later this year/early next year by the sounds of things.
Let’s see the pictures.

You will need multiple chemicals on the job. For the general cleaning use your grout cleaner such as Groutmaster. You won’t be dealing with heavy soiling like we deal with on grout so you can mix the chemical at a weaker strength. I’d use a hydroforce to apply the chemical, put 2-3 scoops of chemical in the sprayer. Be sure to pressure wash the area before the prespray dries.

For the mold/mildew I’d be using a bleach solution you can apply with a pump sprayer or power sprayer. For the calcium / efflorescence you will need an acid.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States