Cleaning Gym Rubber Mat? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Cleaning Gym Rubber Mat?

Jnelms

Oct 8, 2014
Real Name
Joseph Nelms
I recently cleaned some CGD at a local Anytime Fitness Gym. The owner was very impressed and was asking about ways to help keep it clean. I was in there today and was looking at the hard floor where all the weight equipment is and saw that it is totally black, but found areas where the rubber is supposed to have specs of color in it. The floor is totally black now because of how nasty it is.

I haven't brought it to his attention yet, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience cleaning this material. I was thinking about getting an SX 15 or some similar for tile cleaning and some Tile Master to give it a shot. I don't currently own a machine like this but I was thinking if I could convince him to let me clean it at a good price, it would pay for the machine. However, I did not want to sell this service to him without having some input on how to clean it the best. I have a Steam Action Truck mount with a Prochem Quad right now.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Do you have a picture of the flooring?

For dimpled rubber flooring we use Diversey Profi Floor Cleaner and an autoscrubber with a brush and then seal it up with Diversey WiWax,

Jnelms

Oct 8, 2014
Real Name
Joseph Nelms
Do you have a picture of the flooring?

For dimpled rubber flooring we use Diversey Profi Floor Cleaner and an autoscrubber with a brush and then seal it up with Diversey WiWax,

I attached a pic of the style that is in this particular gym. I would guess there is about 3 thousand square foot of it.

Attachments

• Gym Tiles.jpg
    Gym Tiles.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 742

EverythingFlooring

Mar 28, 2014
I attached a pic of the style that is in this particular gym. I would guess there is about 3 thousand square foot of it.
Mike is right. I've done these rubber floors a bunch, of course check with manufacturer specs...ice it(stripper) and wi-wax are the way to go, you'll also need a brush instead of pads.

Reactions: Cleaning Concierge

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall

After seeing the picture disregard what I said.

It looks like you have the rubber matting that has some flex to it and is slightly textured. I don't think I would use an autoscrubber unless it had a really soft brush on it. If it were me I wouldn't use a spinner on it at all. Personally, I would be worried about driving water under the matting where it will end up growing something nice...

I would check with the manufacturer for specs on cleaning. Here's a similar product:
http://www.humanerubberflooring.com/brands/loktuff/

At the bottom is tech specs .pdf that advises on cleaning. They basically say Dawn dish detergent and warm water. So for that particular brand nothing aggressive.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Would you use a peroxide for this?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
No peroxide. Cimex with TMF encap and blow them away!

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Reactions: Omar

Jnelms

Oct 8, 2014
Real Name
Joseph Nelms
Thanks for the advice. I plan on talking with the owner to see if he would be interested in giving it a shot. I don't have a Cimex right now, but I do have a 175 that I could use and order some TMF encap. It would be slower but I think it would accomplish the same thing.

And with encapping it like this, I don't think I would have to worry about to much moisture getting underneath it. I see them mopping it all the time and slinging the water everywhere. Surely a little encap wouldn't hurt it.

Last edited:

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall

Hmm, so how does the endcap 'bite' into the dirt on a semi-smooth surface? I was always curious to know if you could use it on concrete, but never tried it out.

Jnelms

Oct 8, 2014
Real Name
Joseph Nelms
Would the encap leave a slippery residue on the floor?

I'm not sure to be honest. What I plan to do if I get to is try it in a corner to see what the results are and go from there. I may also try cleaning with a wand and glide to see if one does better than the other.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I'm not sure to be honest. What I plan to do if I get to is try it in a corner to see what the results are and go from there. I may also try cleaning with a wand and glide to see if one does better than the other.
When you get to encap thank me.

Jnelms

Oct 8, 2014
Real Name
Joseph Nelms
I plan to try encap first. I believe the agitation will do way more than a wand on this stuff.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States

Do you use brush or pads with the Cimex?

Jnelms

Oct 8, 2014
Real Name
Joseph Nelms
I clean a Yoga studio with mats. I use my tile spinner and regular carpe/tile prespray.

I'm going to use a 175 with encap first. I'm hopeful that this works, but if it doesn't, I will move onto another method, and then another until I clean it. And then I will move to the last method, which is collecting my $$

Jimmy Hitt

Feb 9, 2014
Ashland City
Real Name
Jimmy Htt
Business Location
United States
When you get to encap thank me.
Rob do you have any pics of this floor done with encap? I was looking at a couple and considered TM & spinner...a glad I read this first! I would've thought encap would leave a white haze residue...but that's just guessing. I'll take your word for it cuz obviously you've tried it.