Cleaning greasy commercial kitchen fryers? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Cleaning greasy commercial kitchen fryers?

randyg6224

Jan 1, 2011
Green Bay, WI
www.newsolidsurfacecleaning.com
Real Name
Randy Grygiel
Business Location
United States
Has anyone cleaned commercial kitchen fryers, grills, overhead vents,? What method and more importantly what degreaser works best? I recently did a job using Jon-Don's Anvil on some fryers, not very good results. I have another job coming up, need more advice. Thanks!

Randy

bahrahm

Mar 10, 2011
georgia
Real Name
shane lee
Business Location
United States
i dont think jon don have good chemical for kitchen cleaning. u should check with pressure washing supplier(many of them carries good degreaser for kitchen (hood, grill, deep fryer). ***also check with Jani Link oven cleaner(it is best of best) we used it for APT oven and grills....we used many different product but they dont match to Jani Link`s..

Chiquillo

Sep 6, 2008
South Baja / Mexico
Real Name
Osvaldo Trasvina
Business Location
Mexico
I HAVE DONE SOME WORK ON HOTEL / GREASE INDUSTRIAL KITCHENS / MAN THAT'S A TOUGH ONE

ONE OF THE BEST WAY TO DO IT / IF YOU CAN, GET YOUR SELF A HOT PRESSURE WASHER - YOU WILL LOVE HOW THIS MACHINES WORK.

YOU USE LESS CHEMICAL'S IN THIS CASE DEGREASERS / SAVES YOU A LOT OF TIME & THE BEST THING IT LEAVES A NICE FINISH

OFCOURSE / YOU NEED TO HAVE PLASTIC TO COVER STUFF THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO GET DIRTY / LIKE WHEN CLEANING THE HOODS IT IS GOOD TO COVER ALL THE APPLIANCES WITH THHE PLASTIC / SO YOU DON'T MAKE TO MUCH MESS

HAVE IN HANDY A DESCENT VACUUM / IT IS HARD TO HAVE ALL THE TOOLS / YOU CAN HAVE A SHOP VAC / OFCOURSE WITH OUT THE FILTER. SO YOU CAN SUCK ALL THE MESSY WATER WITH THE GREASE AND ALL THE THINGS ONCE USING THE HOT PRESSURE WASHER

I USE MI INLINE SPRAYER / THE SAME USE FOR CARPET PRE-SPRAYING / FILL IT WITH YOUR DEGREASER USE A STRONG DILUTION. AND MAKE AN SPECIAL ADAPTER / SO YOU CAN USE THE IN LINE SPRAYER WITH YOUR PRESSURE HOSE FROM THE MACHINE
THAT WILL REALLY HELP YOU / PRE-SPRAY YOUR DEGREASER NICE & EVENLY

A GOOD EXTRA TIP / I DONE IT & MAN IT HELP'S A LOT AS A SINITAZER AT THE END.
FOR ALL THE STAILESS STEEL / TO LEAVE NICE CLEAN FINISH & IMPORTANT SANITAZE / USE VINEGAR
YOU CAN USE IT IN A SPRAY BOTTLE / AND CLEAN IT WITH A MICROFIBER TOWEL / YOU WILL LEAVE A NICE CLEAN SURFACE FINISH

GOOD LUCK WITH THIS TYPE OF JOBS / THEY ARE NOT EASY TO DO

MPR

Mar 10, 2014
Illinois
Real Name
Mike Raimer
Business Location
United States
I would be interested in the chemicals that you all have tried for these jobs that work as well as others (chemicals) for other situations. I am trying kitchen and bathroom cleaning and sanitizing with a Clarke Machine (similar to the Kiavack machines) and am looking for alternatives to Kiablooey

Jerry etheridge

Dec 1, 2008
cal
Real Name
jerry etheridge
Has anyone cleaned commercial kitchen fryers, grills, overhead vents,? What method and more importantly what degreaser works best? I recently did a job using Jon-Don's Anvil on some fryers, not very good results. I have another job coming up, need more advice. Thanks!

Randy
for the deep fryer they have a cleaner you can buy it at smart n final or a restaurant supply house you put it in the fryer with hot water and turn on, and boils in the fryer , and it total y cleans it the only way to go there. the grill are cleaned with grill bricks and oil rinse with vinegar. overhead vent i use the best degreaser spray then i presser wash with truck mount and scrubbing presser tip

danielled

Oct 21, 2016
Real Name
Danielle

Randy
For fryers, boil out pucks work pretty well. Then you can more easily scrape out all the gunk. This guide has a step by step: https://www.foodservicesuperstore.com/blog/how-to-clean-a-deep-fryer-in-the-restaurant/

Dec 26, 2016
Sydney
simpocleaning.com.au
Real Name
Steven Ung
Business Location
Australia
Agar makes a great degreaser which we use for cleaning commercial kitchens. We spray it on and let it dwell for 10-15mins then go over it with high pressure. Works like a treat every time but not sure if you have it in the US as I am located in Australia.

RestaurantClean

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring
We have over 30 monthly accounts. What do you want to know?

Mr. President
I know this post was a really long time ago... but just in case you are still on the forum... You said you have 30 account. Are they kitchen cleaning accounts? If so, I have a few questions you could really help me with..

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I know this post was a really long time ago... but just in case you are still on the forum... You said you have 30 account. Are they kitchen cleaning accounts? If so, I have a few questions you could really help me with..
I think Zac only posts on Facebook now. @Jose Holguin can probably help you out.

Whatever you do don't be a dummy like me and use a degreaser designed to work on automotive grease. There's on specificity for food grease.

RestaurantClean

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring
I think Zac only posts on Facebook now. @Jose Holguin can probably help you out.

Whatever you do don't be a dummy like me and use a degreaser designed to work on automotive grease. There's on specificity for food grease.
Thank you!! ...And I have tried automotive degreaser out of desperation. :-/ My main question is can a hot water (200 degrees) pressure washer work for this or do I need a wet steam (300 degrees) pressure washer.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Thank you!! ...And I have tried automotive degreaser out of desperation. :-/ My main question is can a hot water (200 degrees) pressure washer work for this or do I need a wet steam (300 degrees) pressure washer.
I have a Daimer steamer which I think tops out at 200 degrees. While it melted the grease it was a slow process especially on fryer grates. With a food service degreaser and a steamer it makes quick work out of it.

I didn't have a hot water pressure washer, but the fastest method albeit a mess on its own was the food service degreaser and a pressure washer.

There's a lot of YouTube videos on how to mask off the kitchen so it's not a bloody mess with a pressure washer.

So in my limited experience and knowing I'll have to do this kitchen again I'll be buying a hot water pressure washer. The steamer does work great when you're dealing with small appliances or can't mask off the area.

Are you on the east coast? We have a chemical supplier called Swish that sells the food service degreaser that basically melts the grease.

RestaurantClean

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring
I have a Daimer steamer which I think tops out at 200 degrees. While it melted the grease it was a slow process especially on fryer grates. With a food service degreaser and a steamer it makes quick work out of it.

I didn't have a hot water pressure washer, but the fastest method albeit a mess on its own was the food service degreaser and a pressure washer.

There's a lot of YouTube videos on how to mask off the kitchen so it's not a bloody mess with a pressure washer.

So in my limited experience and knowing I'll have to do this kitchen again I'll be buying a hot water pressure washer. The steamer does work great when you're dealing with small appliances or can't mask off the area.

Are you on the east coast? We have a chemical supplier called Swish that sells the food service degreaser that basically melts the grease.
I have a Dupray which is identical to the Daimer. It works ok, but like you said takes forever. I actually did a job recently with two griddles, one grill, one stove and one double oven. Had a total of 62 man hours. Absolutely insane. I thought the dry steam would do it. But I was way wrong. I ended up having to discount the work because it didn't turn out as expected and I lost a ton on it.

I see these Chicago guys using "wet steam". Those machines are really pricey. I almost pulled the trigger on one last week for $8,500. Over 300 degrees and 4 gpm, 3500 psi.

But if that extra 100 degrees doesn't make a big difference I'd rather buy a more affordable "hot water" PW instead.

On a side note, Mike. Grease is one thing but baked on carbon is another. I don't really see those guys on YouTube spraying off carbon with PWs... It's usually just grease. I've used Carbon Off and another product that I had to have smuggled into the country. Both products were only mildly affective.

I am on the east coast, so I'll check out Swish.

Reactions: Mike Krall

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I have a Dupray which is identical to the Daimer. It works ok, but like you said takes forever. I actually did a job recently with two griddles, one grill, one stove and one double oven. Had a total of 62 man hours. Absolutely insane. I thought the dry steam would do it. But I was way wrong. I ended up having to discount the work because it didn't turn out as expected and I lost a ton on it.

I see these Chicago guys using "wet steam". Those machines are really pricey. I almost pulled the trigger on one last week for $8,500. Over 300 degrees and 4 gpm, 3500 psi.

But if that extra 100 degrees doesn't make a big difference I'd rather buy a more affordable "hot water" PW instead.

On a side note, Mike. Grease is one thing but baked on carbon is another. I don't really see those guys on YouTube spraying off carbon with PWs... It's usually just grease. I've used Carbon Off and another product that I had to have smuggled into the country. Both products were only mildly affective.

I am on the east coast, so I'll check out Swish.
Did you use the brass or stainless steel attachment for your steamer? That was the key for me. Still the right kind of degreaser is what saved my bacon. The auto degreaser/citrus stuff kind of works, but when I finally learned about the food service degreaser it was like night and day. Like I said I just sprayed that stuff on and waited 10 minutes and blasted it with just a 1700 PSI pressure washer and the grease went flying. This stuff was thick too! The only downside is I had to spray everything again with a neutralizer since the food service stuff is pretty alkaline.

I think this is what I used: http://swishclean.com/product.htm?Product=5000-4&Source=Ad I'll check my shop tomorrow to see what it was for sure.

I didn't run into much baked on carbon on my job, the steamer and stainless steel did a good job on the few pans that had it, but didn't completely remove it. Here's a thread that talks about it: https://www.truckmountforums.com/threads/bbq-cleaning.89089/

Here's another thread where Jose and Martin recommend some other cleaners if you can't find the Swish stuff: https://www.truckmountforums.com/threads/anyway-to-get-this-black-gold-off-my-stove-top.91975/page-2

I was going through my bookmarks for you, not sure if any of this will help:
http://www.foodservice.com/
https://greasebusters.com/fire-code-nfpa-96/

Reactions: Jose Holguin

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States

In my restaurants I always used a caustic dip...you boiled in the fryer for an hour or so. Knocked that paraffin build up off in a heartbeat.

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Was just going through my alerts and saw that you tagged me Mike. I wouldn't use a steamer for kitchen degreasing, you would be there for weeks.

I was gonna explain what we would do when I used to manage a 10k sqft commercial kitchen but I would be repeating what Dave just said above. Diluted oven cleaner, turn on the fryer and let it sit for a bit, will come right off, make sure to rinse, rinse, rinse.

Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide is the answer to all grease related things. Nothing I haven't been able to degrease with it just yet.

Might also kill me at the age of 35...

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Was just going through my alerts and saw that you tagged me Mike. I wouldn't use a steamer for kitchen degreasing, you would be there for weeks.

I was gonna explain what we would do when I used to manage a 10k sqft commercial kitchen but I would be repeating what Dave just said above. Diluted oven cleaner, turn on the fryer and let it sit for a bit, will come right off, make sure to rinse, rinse, rinse.

Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide is the answer to all grease related things. Nothing I haven't been able to degrease with it just yet.

Might also kill me at the age of 35...
"Might" kill you at 35? Then we need to find something Stronger for you! lol:eek::D

Reactions: Jose Holguin

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
"Might" kill you at 35? Then we need to find something Stronger for you! lol:eek::D
Lol that stuff is strong Dave! And I was just the manager, don't know how my beaner, fence jumping employees could breath that shit all night. I would cough up a lung if I got near it.