Cleaning grease traps | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Cleaning grease traps

Discussion in 'Janitorial, Housekeeping & Maid Cleaning Forum' started by Robert86, May 18, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,057 / 1 / -0
    Got a call a little bit ago from a restaurant owner asking if I clean grease traps. Sounds like the above ground box that separates the grease.

I've watched someone clean one a couple times, and smelled them being cleaned many times. But never done it personally. Guy I watched used a slotted spoon to carefully scoop the solidified grease from the surface of the water.

Whats the best way to clean these things out and what should I charge? Not sure I really want to deal with it if I've got to ladle the crap out.

2. Joe cool

Joe cool Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,605 / 15 / -0
    Pipe cleaner 3 jets spray backwards with hot steam . 2017-05-18 20.19.47.jpg

3. PistolPete

PistolPete Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +440 / 0 / -0
    You don't want to mess with that. Tell them to call a plumber or septic tank company. I've done it before at a restaurant I managed and its not fun, and worse than that, if it clogs, backs up etc guess who's gonna get the call

4. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +1,057 / 1 / -0
    Not really sure how that's gonna help. I'm not daling with the pipes, just the big box.

Its similar to this
    http://www.eliterestaurantequipment...uiqooctmhu27&gclid=CLj70_OM-9MCFQyNaQodMpcIJA

Yeah, I've thought about that too. I'm not sure I want to mess with just the regular cleaning out but if the thing clogs I want nothing to do with it.

I've been looking around and it seems the best way to clean them out is to carefully scoop the grease off the surface. I don't know.

Maybe I'll tell him its $150 each time I have to come out. Write up a contract that makes it clear that all I do is clean out the trap and clogs and backups are not something I deal with. If he takes it then an extra $300 a month for like 20 - 30 minutes of work. If not then I'm not gonna cry about loosing the money.

5. Joe cool

Joe cool Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,605 / 15 / -0
    Ok the grease traps the 20 gallon with a screen basket , never seen these small ones .
    The big ones are collected from a big vacuum truck and they sell it for $2.40 gallon and mostly nite pick ups . Those guys dont clean the traps .
    Schools have big square ones they change out monthly .