Cleaning Carpet at a Concrete Plant

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
We have been cleaning the carpets at a pre cast concrete plant for about a year and a half now about 6 month intervals. We actually also do the janitorial as well and could actually glean wisdom from potential answers or speculations from this thread. Here's the most recent finding. I researched cement components and found out that fresh cement comes out around 13 or 14ph! Considering the carpets are packed full of this dust what are some theories you guys might have on how this could affect how the carpet is clean?

Last edited:

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Since you've cleaned it 3 times and assuming no issues have come up it appears you're cleaning it correctly.
As to your question I would be concerned that if you don't vacuum enough then as the carpet dries after cleaning the dust will migrate to the top after the carpet is dry and will have a powder appearance that vacuuming alone might not remove.
The ph should not be an issue. Most pre sprays have a ph of 13+. Using air movers will eliminate any potential problems that you might be concerned about.

Reactions: Timothyscarpet

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Since you've cleaned it 3 times and assuming no issues have come up it appears you're cleaning it correctly.
As to your question I would be concerned that if you don't vacuum enough then as the carpet dries after cleaning the dust will migrate to the top after the carpet is dry and will have a powder appearance that vacuuming alone might not remove.
The ph should not be an issue. Most pre sprays have a ph of 13+. Using air movers will eliminate any potential problems that you might be concerned about.
We did think about the wicking issue and have post bonneted most every time with air movers....I think the carpet always turns out fine. Do you think trying an acid prespray would suspend the soiling better being that it's so basic?

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
We did think about the wicking issue and have post bonneted most every time with air movers....I think the carpet always turns out fine. Do you think trying an acid prespray would suspend the soiling better being that it's so basic?
Using an Acidic rinse would better remove residues and slow the soiling process. I would use it as a rinse instead of a pre spray. If you get aggressive with the pre spray using an acidic rinse will get the ph back in line.

Reactions: Timothyscarpet