Cleaning block retaining wall

mbrandt

Apr 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Mark Brandt
Business Location
United States
Mold and mildew retaining wall block. Suggestions on what chemical to use and procedures

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
First, a question - is the block wall painted?

Mold cannot grow on cinder block, so it must be growing on something that's ON the block. If it's painted, removal is easy - hepa vac, peroxide treatment like Sentinel Envirowash or thymol treatment like Benefect or Bioesque, then hepa vac again.

If it's NOT painted, then the first step becomes figuring out what, exactly, is on the block that is allowing mold growth.

Could it possibly be efflorescence and not mold growth you're seeing?

mbrandt

Apr 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Mark Brandt
Business Location
United States
First, a question - is the block wall painted?

Mold cannot grow on cinder block, so it must be growing on something that's ON the block. If it's painted, removal is easy - hepa vac, peroxide treatment like Sentinel Envirowash or thymol treatment like Benefect or Bioesque, then hepa vac again.

If it's NOT painted, then the first step becomes figuring out what, exactly, is on the block that is allowing mold growth.

Could it possibly be efflorescence and not mold growth you're seeing?
Thanks for your quick reply. Not painted block. I cleaned this last year but pressure washed. What is growing is mildew and licken. I just wondered about a solution I could apply and it would kill organic mater than if needed pressure wash

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Thanks for your quick reply. Not painted block. I cleaned this last year but pressure washed. What is growing is mildew and licken. I just wondered about a solution I could apply and it would kill organic mater than if needed pressure wash
If the block is in ground contact, and it's wet enough to be supporting true lichens, then honestly I would just pressure-wash and plan on regular maintenance cleaning to keep the growth down to a manageable level. There's nothing I know of that would prevent organic growth in that kind of damp situation for very long... that wouldn't also be extremely toxic. Even barrier products would eventually fail.

Reactions: Scott W

Hoss4x4

Sep 25, 2011
Real Name
Dennis Graham
Business Location
United States
12.5 SH with Lemonator down streamed and rinsed. Usually took atleast two years to see the returned growth