Cleaning apartments, with ALL stains, pet treatments, repairs, dies, PATCHS, STRETCHS, ETC inc, in the price of under $100?

Jonah Crawford

Mar 23, 2017
Real Name
jonah crawford
I'm I crazy or does signing on to clean a lower income complex and agreeing to do all the cleaning, repairs, pet damage, dies, stains, water extractions with fans, stretches, transition replacements (with parts), etc for one price of under 100 sound crazy to you! I have a number of large complexes here in NV that stone look me in the face and tell me that I'm out of line for wanting to charge more then a flat rate of $95 no matter how bad or trashed a unit is. O and they think I should wait for 45 days to get payment, and carry enough insurance for war? So they want me to clean and repair and make every unit they schedule (on no notice) perfect for rerent for $95 NO MATTER WHAT. And they don't even bother to tell us there is repairs half the time! We end up getting there and finding a whole or bleach stain in the carpet, then we let them know its there , we take pics , they tell us "to take care of it" then when they get the bill if its more then $95 they call and complain? They keep saying we are ripping them off and nickle and dimeing them? Its like 1 if every 3 units we walk into that we need to spend an extra hour of time in due to heavy soil, pet urine, red coolaid stains, holes in carpet, broken transitions. but they expect us to fix all that and never charge more? Is this just the cost of apartments? I'm I out of line thinking my time has value? and that I should be allowed to charge more for chems and time, and skill, tools etc? Please I want to know because at this point I'm about to shut the doors and move on! I'm just so sick of every person we work for acting like, I'm ripping them off after they or some tennant trashed the floors.

Dan The Carpet Man

Mar 24, 2012
california
Real Name
daniel berber
Business Location
United States
I'm I crazy or does signing on to clean a lower income complex and agreeing to do all the cleaning, repairs, pet damage, dies, stains, water extractions with fans, stretches, transition replacements (with parts), etc for one price of under 100 sound crazy to you! I have a number of large complexes here in NV that stone look me in the face and tell me that I'm out of line for wanting to charge more then a flat rate of $95 no matter how bad or trashed a unit is. O and they think I should wait for 45 days to get payment, and carry enough insurance for war? So they want me to clean and repair and make every unit they schedule (on no notice) perfect for rerent for $95 NO MATTER WHAT. And they don't even bother to tell us there is repairs half the time! We end up getting there and finding a whole or bleach stain in the carpet, then we let them know its there , we take pics , they tell us "to take care of it" then when they get the bill if its more then $95 they call and complain? They keep saying we are ripping them off and nickle and dimeing them? Its like 1 if every 3 units we walk into that we need to spend an extra hour of time in due to heavy soil, pet urine, red coolaid stains, holes in carpet, broken transitions. but they expect us to fix all that and never charge more? Is this just the cost of apartments? I'm I out of line thinking my time has value? and that I should be allowed to charge more for chems and time, and skill, tools etc? Please I want to know because at this point I'm about to shut the doors and move on! I'm just so sick of every person we work for acting like, I'm ripping them off after they or some tennant trashed the floors.
I’m tempted to say that it depends on how often they call you and how many bedrooms, and if carpeted living and dining room, but as I sit here typing, I’m realizing there’s no way in hell I would do all that for 95.00 flat fee. No way bro. Value your time and equipment, 13 years ago I started charging 25 per room, worst mistake I’ve done as a business man, i build my clientele for years with those prices and then a few years later I increase My prices to 35.00 and most of my clients dropped me because they didn’t Want to pay the increase, long story short, all those clients are back with me and now they happily pay my minimum of 150 for two areas, why you ask? Because I do an excellent job, all those clients came back to me over the years because they compared my quality of work vs other companies that would charge less for a mediocre service.

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Tell them they can replace it for 1500 to 2000. Have to show them or make them understand the value of restorative cleaning, when there that trashed its not just a clean its a retorative clean that saves them a replacement. 100 for water damages absolutely not id tell em to kick rocks on that to much equipment, education, time investment to do it correctly. Its alot cheaper to do it correctly than to fight and or lose a lawsuit when a tenant gets sick

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You are going to have to fire a pile of prospective "good" customers to get the "right" ones. If they are greenhorns under 30, you have an uphill battle and probably two to four 911 cleaning situations a week, screw that customer.

When I sell, I market face to face directly to their wallet. I introduce myself, explain what I do and tell them when they are tired of replacing carpet and want to stay under budget and make bonus, give me a call.... then I shut up. They typically take charge of the situation from there and then I tell them that I would prefer to show them the difference and that is the easy part.

We just clean and repair, don't pull call and are home by 3 bells. I will be 75% property management by Christmas and only cherry pick the good guy referal commercial jobs and our repeat residential jobs, some of which I am farming out to other cleaners.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Because you are allowing them to treat you like a cheap carpet cleaner. Time to say goodbye. I turn down apts whenever they call me.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Ive said this before but when our company joined Service Team Of Professionals, the VERY FIRST THING that Mack Clark (a true Management Guru) told us to do was dump cleaning apartments. At that time it was 1/3 of our gross income. We did and it truely was one of the best things we did.

Whats happening here is that the reason they can tell you the price is because if you dont do it, some other schmuck will. Doesnt mean its profitable.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
OMG just reading this makes me angry. Tell them to f off, don't waste your time with shitty people like that unless you are desperate for income. If you do quality work I wouldn't waste time with the cheap asses like that because there are tons of great customers who wants to pay for a good quality work out there.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States

You need to drop them.

Let them feel reality

I use to have folks like that but I have dropped them. There was no point having or getting new clients that are like that. I need work but I am not a fool. Have some standards. I do hope that you are communicating with them before the work is done, and getting approval, if not then you deserve what your going through

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
You already know the answer, there is some serious ripping off going on but it's you getting ripped off. I did 2 stairways in 2 different apartments on the first floor side by side for $150. The owner paid me in cash and was very glad to. I am not a high end cleaner either. I have a $150 minimum for an apartment because set ups and parking can be a nightmare. I like them because they're usually empty. Powers stretching, dyeing bleach spots etc., that's an additional $200 minimum for me.
There are a lot of desperate, ignorant guys out there that screw themselves doing work like this for nothing. I'd rather stay home and do nothing going broke then work all day sweating my butt off going broke.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I did a 2 hour job this morning for a coffee roasting facility. $475. Did it myself. 2 hours being the time I got there, set up, cleaned, packed up, owner took me into the coffee lab and brewed me a cup straight from the roaster.

Really think you should do $100 for something like that?