Clarke 1500 polisher, are there motor brushes? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Clarke 1500 polisher, are there motor brushes?

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I have looked online and found a parts diagram:
https://www.clarkeus.com/serviceandsupport/~/media/E637BE8BB70A47368E58A1E1779F35B3.ashx

I cannot locate brushes.
The issue is that there is no longer enough power generated to spin the polisher. It will spin when there is zero resistance but as soon as its put on the floor, its stops and the motor just hums. I had the gear assembly apart and its ok so I am guessing its motor related and brushes is all I can think of.
Its from the mid 80's I think and it might not be worth spending any more time over. The screws that hold on the top plate/cover need to be drilled out, but unless I know its an easy/cheap fix, I probably wont bother.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Steve,
Most likely thing to look for is a bad motor switch (contacts are burned out) when you get top of motor off OR a bad capacitor . Any electrical supply house can check the capacitor if you can't . IMO not an expensive or difficult fix compared to buying new. Hope this helps you out and you get it running again !
Ed

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
Steve,
Most likely thing to look for is a bad motor switch (contacts are burned out) when you get top of motor off OR a bad capacitor . Any electrical supply house can check the capacitor if you can't . IMO not an expensive or difficult fix compared to buying new. Hope this helps you out and you get it running again !
Ed
Thanks!
When I was running it, it was under quite a bit of load. I have an attachment that you can attach sanding discs to, and I was sanding off the deck. It stopped spinning but not running which is why I thought it was possibly motor brushes. I did see capacitors on the diagram but would not have a clue about that. Would that cause a lack of power or rather torque is likely the most appropriate description.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Steve,
Your machine motor most likely has two capacitors one for start and one for run. What these do is act like a coil on a car energizing the motor. If the contacts are going bad on the motor switch things also will get iffy.While you have it apart would be a good idea to clean the motor out good . Had an old (80's) Minuteman that the contacts were completely burned off and the motor would not start at all. Full of wood dust !! After a good cleaning (IN and OUT !!) and a 40.00 switch the AC motor ran fine. Not sure what a capacitor would cost but like I said compared to buying a new machine it's inexpensive. Much Luck ! Ed

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Steve,
Guess my post did not come up.The capacitors act like a coil on a car energizing the motor. Your machine may have one or two . One will be for starting the motor and the other for keeping it running under load. Had an old(Minuteman 80's) that would not start at all and the motor switch contacts were burned off. Thing was full of wood dust ! After a good cleaning and a 40.00 switch it ran like a champ. Clean out the motor good while it's apart. Not sure the cost on a capacitor but compared to buying new it should be inexpensive. Good Luck ! Ed

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
South Central........Tennessee
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
Thanks!
When I was running it, it was under quite a bit of load. I have an attachment that you can attach sanding discs to, and I was sanding off the deck. It stopped spinning but not running which is why I thought it was possibly motor brushes. I did see capacitors on the diagram but would not have a clue about that. Would that cause a lack of power or rather torque is likely the most appropriate description.
You say it stopped spinning but not running? Is the motor just humming or is it spinning even under a load?

Most have a coupler from the motor to the gearbox. Under heavy load, they shear. $10 coupler and you're back in business.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TMF Forums mobile app

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
You say it stopped spinning but not running? Is the motor just humming or is it spinning even under a load?

Most have a coupler from the motor to the gearbox. Under heavy load, they shear. $10 coupler and you're back in business.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TMF Forums mobile app
it runs but not under load. It spins, but not under load. I checked the gears, they mesh pretty good and when I put it under load, they stop, no other part "skids" so I dont think its the gears.