Matt Strader

Feb 7, 2009
Jupiter, Fl
www.561carpetandtile.com
Real Name
Matthew Strader
Business Location
United States
I am just getting around to this machine.

I have been putting together some marketing strategies, looking for larger accounts and doing some planing. I was about to hit the pavement when I realized, "I have NO idea how to use this machine."

I have some short loop pile in my house (not cgd, but resembles it closely) and figured I'd give it a try. My carpet is not dirty, so it's hard to tell if I used it properly. Any suggestions? What is your method for releasing the solution?

I presume, just like everything else, I will need to get used to it , but for now I'd like your help....

Canada-Eh

Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
coswaysupply.com
Real Name
Kenny Cosway
Business Location
Canada
1 wet pass then 1 dry.
if foam is flying out the sides then you used too much juice.
if real heavy soil then do extra dry passes while tapping the solution trigger every 3-5 seconds to keep the pads wet.

the only mistake you'll make as a beginner is using too much solution especially if you use to "shampoo" back in the day when more foam was better.

when you hit a bad stain, more scrub is good but more juice is bad :)

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic

I have been putting together some marketing strategies, looking for larger accounts and doing some planing. I was about to hit the pavement when I realized, "I have NO idea how to use this machine."

I have some short loop pile in my house (not cgd, but resembles it closely) and figured I'd give it a try. My carpet is not dirty, so it's hard to tell if I used it properly. Any suggestions? What is your method for releasing the solution?

I presume, just like everything else, I will need to get used to it , but for now I'd like your help....
I don't know, Matt. "Not knowing how to do something" never stopped me! Seriously, though, here is some cut and paste from Part II of Jeff Cutshall's "Setting Up Encapsulation Routes" manual. We haven't released the Part II yet but I cheated for you. :)

Commercial Encapsulation Cleaning Procedures with a Cimex Cyclone

1. Mix up encap solution in hot water.

NOTE: If you have a large area to clean it’s best to mix up 4 gallons of Jon-Don’s DSE (Double Strength Encapsulant) at a time in a 5 gallon bucket. You’ll normally be able to clean 300-400 sq. feet of carpet per diluted gallon or about 1500 square feet of carpet per bucket.

2. Carefully fill Cyclone’s tank. (It’s easier to fill in the upright position)

3. Start cleaning with the pace of a slow walk while working away from the cord. (Normally it’s best to make long even passes instead of short ones.)

4. Be sure to overlap each pass. You should be able to see a thin film of the chemical on the carpet.

a. For light to moderately soiled carpet generally make one even wet pass the turn around and make a dry pass.
b. For heavily soiled carpet it may be necessary to make one wet pass and several dry passes. Be careful not to over wet the carpet as this could result in wicking.

NOTE: If you notice that you are not using very much “juice” while cleaning, trouble-shoot the following 4 factors.

A. The clear solution feeding line that the solution is being shower fed through has a kink in it.
B. A towel or other object has fallen into the tank and is blocking the hole.
C. The filter in the solution tank has become clogged.
D. It’s time to flush out the tank and all solution lines with hot water and pressure.

5. If the Cimex machine accidentally becomes unplugged while running make sure to turn it OFF and wait until it completely stops spinning before re-plugging it in. (Don’t ask Jeff how he learned this one! Steve)

6. To prevent water from dripping out of the Cimex heads be sure to close the valve under the tank and place a towel underneath the head when you take a break.

7. The Cimex doesn’t do a great job cleaning close to walls and doorways. Normally these areas aren’t very soiled but if so it’s best to hand clean them with a towel or extract these areas.

8. When carpet is extremely soiled you may need to clean with the Cyclone and then make a pass with a bonnet or extractor to remove excess soil. In some cases you can also run the Cimex before or after extraction.

9. If possible, try to use all the mixed solution in the Cimex tank instead of letting it sit. Your extra solution can also be drained out at the tank bottom after use.

Hopefully this will help, Matt. Seriously, the Cimex is so simple you just need to play with it. Let me know how you are doing.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com

PS You are right to focus more closely on actually GETTING THE WORK. Cutshall covers this extensively with a complete commercial selling system in Part I. It is a free download:

http://sfs.https://shop.truckmountf...start-encapsulation-maintenance-routes-part-1

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Hey Steve,

Can you help us "newbies" understand why you'd want to use encap after extraction??
I'm not really an "encap expert", Eirik. (I leave that to guys out there doing it like Jeff Cutshall who has three Cimex crews running almost continuously!) But encapping AFTER extraction on a lot of gluedown carpets (especially olefins) will often help the dreaded "wicking up" of residual soil as the carpet dries.

You can read Jeff's review of the Cimex and the difference it made in his business right here:

http://sfs.https://shop.truckmountf...ommercial-cleaning-has-transformed-my-company

Steve Toburen

PS Eirik, on your stairs question I believe Jeff's people many times use a portable extractor and a hand tool. In the corners and along edges they use a backpack vacuum and then follow up with a spray bottle and a hand towel or on large jobs a "doodle-bug" with a long handle and a small pad. Remember that the corners usually aren't dirty, just dusty and also on commercial no one is watching! :)

Nathan A

Dec 18, 2010
Oregon
Real Name
Nathan Allen
Business Location
United States
Sometimes on heavily soiled carpet a post extraction encap can brighten and prevent wick back.
For areas you cant get to try a car buffer. The cimex pads work with the buffer we have....watch the RPM's though!

Kenny Wright

Jan 29, 2009
Virginia
Real Name
Kenny Wright
Business Location
United States
I have never encapped upholstery. I have had to encap stairs due to customer deciding to include them after I started and I did not have a TM or portable available. It was very cold out, they had water turned off and I only brought the Cimex. I used the edge brush from Excellent Supply and it really took care of some badly soiled stairs. If I regularly encapped stairs, I'd try out one of their brush or pad drill attachments since I have a couple of Milwaukee Lithium battery portable drills.

How do y'all do encap on stairs or area where the machine won't fit? How about upholstery?

encapman

Jul 3, 2006
St Petersburg, FL
www.excellent-supply.com
Real Name
Rick Gelinas
Business Location
United States
Jeff's information provides a good overview of running a Cimex.

For edges you can scrub them with the Edge Brush. Very simple - just spray and scrub. And like Jeff mentioned the edges are not usually very soiled, so this works well. Simple and effective.

edge.jpg

http://www.excellent-supply.com/Edge-Brush-Carpet-Cleaning-Accessory_p_11.html

And for encapping steps, a SIMPLE approach is the Drill Driver. You place the same 8" pads that you use on the Cimex onto the Drill Driver. It will get the job done.

drill-driver.jpg

http://www.excellent-supply.com/8-inch-Drill-Driver-Carpet-Cleaning-Accessory_p_10.html

And if I can help you with any questions give me a holler. I'll be happy to share plenty of other Cimex tricks and tips with you too.

encapman

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States

You might want to try Rick's commercial marketing system for the first year until you can put your own custom piece together, pretty cheap.

Listening Tour

Matt if you are comitted to doing this for long term then what you want to do in your first year is go out and canvass your specific marketplace and find out what customers say, what the competition is like, what they provide etc and come out next year with a dedicated plan based on the info you learned hands on.

Find out what the weakness in the market is and fill it

jeffreycut

May 11, 2006
Sometimes especially on commercial carpet a good flush is necessary. HWE is my first choice when that’s needed. But that doesn’t mean the carpet will look good afterwards, in fact many times it doesn’t.

Wicking can be a big concern especially on commercial carpet, more so with olefin (because it doesn’t absorbent much water) but also with nylon. For another thing it’s usually a very short nap loop style. In this case a light encapsulation cleaning afterwards will often times greatly improve the appearance. (For best results the carpet needs to be as dry as possible, the dryer the better. Air movers obviously help.)

Then the last step is to run over it with the Cimex and encapsulate. It doesn’t take much longer and often times makes a big difference. You could also run an encapsulant through your rinse when extracting but the agitation of the Cimex does a much better job in my opinion. In place of the Cimex you could also spray down an encapsulant and run a bonnet (or op machine) over it with good results.

As was mentioned earlier encapping stairs is pretty easy and often works very well.
JeffC

P.S. I’ve said it in the past and I’ll say it again I totally credit Rick for getting me started with the Cimex and encapsulation years ago. I also have the drill attachment he posted and it does work. Probably one of the best ideas I’ve gleaned from him recently is the big wheel set he sells for the Cimex. There is a reason he’s the encapman!

Matt Strader

Feb 7, 2009
Jupiter, Fl
www.561carpetandtile.com
Real Name
Matthew Strader
Business Location
United States
You might want to try Rick's commercial marketing system for the first year until you can put your own custom piece together, pretty cheap.

Listening Tour

Matt if you are comitted to doing this for long term then what you want to do in your first year is go out and canvass your specific marketplace and find out what customers say, what the competition is like, what they provide etc and come out next year with a dedicated plan based on the info you learned hands on.

Find out what the weakness in the market is and fill it

Shane,
My reports as of today are as follows.. People are doing an "Ok" job on the cleaning. Nothing exceptional. That seems to be the consensus of today.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Shane,
My reports as of today are as follows.. People are doing an "Ok" job on the cleaning. Nothing exceptional. That seems to be the consensus of today.

Then be exceptional and tell them

We are going to power scrub with the cimex and flush out with a heavy duty central vac system
Then we will put you on an interim cleaning schedule so it doesnt fall behind again

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
and have to add wish i knew this was going to become such a hot topic, i was running "encap routes" 10 years ago, except we called it bonnet cleaning

The power of marketing and pr

kingjoelking

Mar 26, 2008
AZ
www.whatsinyourcarpets.com
Real Name
Joel Riggs
Business Location
United States
You are selling the same thing now you were before you bought the cimex. Clean carpets. Dont get hung up on trying to sell the method. Sell the end result. The only difference is now you have another tool. Test it out on commercial jobs. you will imediately see how well it works. If you have any questions about how you feel about a job after you have encapped it or if you think it dosnt look clean enough you still have the truckmount to fix the job. You will be amazed at how little you will need the truckmount for your commercial jobs after you get the hang of the cimex.

carl2591

Mar 12, 2006
Raleigh NC
Real Name
Carl Newton
Business Location
United States
I routinely use a chev s-10 blazer to haul the two mexs to the job. I have a crate with with spare belt, spare drive pads, extra gray pads, bucket heater, 4 oz measuring cup, and phillips head screw driver in cause the belt needs to be replaced..

the blazer get better gas mileage than the van and most of the work is late at night so no need for a billboard van.

pro-fresh

May 2, 2021
Real Name
Ted Stallsworth
I was in the middle of using my cimex And it just quit working. I looked inside the housing where the cord is wired into and it was all good. I looked in the box on the motor side and everything was still good. Underneath that box is a soft rubber button I assume is the reset and it did not feel tripped. I am stumped it still won’t run