Cimex or Orbot? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Sierra Clean Care

Sierra Clean Care Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 6 / -0
    If you HAD to choose one or the other, which would it be? And why?
    Jeff @ SCC

2. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Top Poster of Month

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,696 / 87 / -0
    Depends on the application. If it's wide open large areas solely, Cimex. If it's versatility, open-tight-homes-bonnet-hi rises-etc, then Orbot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Smtwn janitorial

Smtwn janitorial Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Orbot, because it is much more versatile. IF all I did was commercial carpet, then the cimex hands down.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SAA

SAA Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Instructor - Precision Cleaning & Carpet Repair
    NC
    Ratings:
    +2,947 / 3 / -0
    There are not many machines as versatile as a Cimex

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,696 / 87 / -0
    I understand what you mean Steve as I own both. Its just to heavy and awkward to take into homes/high rises for me. Mobility, portability, various heads and ease of use is probably the reason we choose it most time. But for open areas and even some area rugs its a beast. Personally I enjoy and recommend using both.

6. Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 6 / -0
    Ok Rob, if you HAD to choose between the two, which one? And more importantly, specifically which OP? I've got the $ for the best available......

7. Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 6 / -0
    I'm planning on using it for com. aswell as empty apts, condos etc......

8. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,696 / 87 / -0
    Your application either the Vibe or Sprayborg. Money not an issue, go Sprayborg. The handle folds up for storage and fitting in vehicles. Best thing is the ability to switch out 2.5 gallon jugs to different chemicals when needed and have refills ready on the fly.

Or wait till the battery operated one is available. Cordless would be really cool.

9. SAA

SAA Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2008
    NC
    Ratings:
    +2,947 / 3 / -0
    A 15 inch Cimex would change your opinion Rob. Flexible and easy to maneuver, 19" is big and heavy.

10. rccva

rccva Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +391 / 0 / -0
    Money is always part of the equation. IMO Sprayborg isn't offering something that is justifying the large price tag. Switching jugs can be nice, but it isn't a simple switch. Not too mention it is much heavier then the vibe, paperwork doesn't show a big weight difference but side by side it is a big difference. If you need a different chemical just use a pump up and prespray.

11. Smtwn janitorial

Smtwn janitorial Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Would you be able to clean laminate floor with the cimex? What about wood flooring? Or tile and grout? I've never owned one and I've never seen it used for that stuff so I assumed it couldn't.

12. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,696 / 87 / -0
    Would love to try one Steve.

13. rob allen

rob allen Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,696 / 87 / -0
    Orbot staggered tile and grout head and even concrete head cannot be beat.

14. Keck

Keck New Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have 2 Cimexs and 2 Varios. After using them both, If I only had to have one, I would go with the cimex.
    Reasons:
    1. Production rate. The primary reason I have these type of machines is for cleaning commercial carpet and as far as that goes, for me, the cimex has the highest production rate.
    2. Durability. With the orbital machines, I have had to change the bearings several times, so will you. You will also have to tighten everything periodically because the nature of the vibration causes things to loosen up. Once on a 22 thousand SF job, I had all 4 machines working. The handle fell off one of the orbitals! Things just jiggle loose. Although I only have 2 cimexs now, I have owned 4 total, and I have never had to do any repairs, and one of them was nearly as old as I am. They are tanks, The downside of this is the weight, you will want to get a ramp, you can muscle it in and out of the van ( I did for years ) but you will not be doing your back any favors, If you run a 2 man crew, no problem.
    3. Fast learning curve. I had my wife help on a big job and it only took about 10 minutes of training to get her up to speed. Super simple to use.
    4. Noise level. I clean several old folks homes. ( at night ) The orbitals are definitely louder. Cimex is very quiet. I was cleaning a hall once and this older gentleman comes busting out of his unit all irrate ( I think I woke him up ) he looks at me and says "Jesus Christ!" All could say was "Praise the Lord brother".

15. SAA

SAA Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2008
    NC
    Ratings:
    +2,947 / 3 / -0
    A lot of the complaints with the bulkiness of a Cimex is that everyone buys a 19" machine. My first one (purchased in 1974) was 19 inch but it was build more like the 15 inch is today. I used the 19 inch for my first 12-14 years and used it for everything (there are about 15 different brushes or somewhere in there). VCT - remove wax and refinish, nylongrit brushes are great for this. Scrub all types of stone with different brushes. Use it to scrub ramps of carpet, concrete, tile (VCT and Ceramic), wood decking with horrible staining and mildew and rubber mats in commercial and just about anything you can imagine. It will work in areas with it floating type heads that no single disc type machine will go. Try using any single disk machine in an unlevel area or a ramp.

As for carpet, there is no other machine that will have no torque on it and it will lift the fibers and agitate the entire fiber, no single disk or oscillating machine will do this.

I have used Cimex machines for agitation on 99.9% of all the carpets I have ever cleaned and it makes the job easy to do.

Versatility is the nature of the machine. I think they have built the 19 inch in a way that makes it not as easy to use as it used to be but the 15 inch is built to use easily and one would have a hard time telling the difference in use and production.

Just my thought but my belief was, if I did not have a Cimex, I would not have been in this business, it was a mandatory tool on all of my different trucks and my own usage. I used them for 41 years and they are proven and dynamic machines for cleaning anything that you can put it on. I have owned dozens of them through the years and they were all fantastic.

Just my opinions but based on a lot of use of many pieces of equipment. While I have not used an Orbot, I have used and played with oscillating equipment. No problem with them as far as I can see but the versatility of a 15 inch Cimex is irrefutable in my mind and I believe I can back that up in many ways.

SAA

• Like Like x 4
  16. Joe cool

Joe cool Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,618 / 15 / -0
    If your account's are mostly residential I would go with an OP vs cimeX if you do clean long halls or a couple big showrooms definitely the cimex but if you're targeting houses and small commercial you better get a Eco 17 or something like that .

17. SAA

SAA Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2008
    NC
    Ratings:
    +2,947 / 3 / -0
    There may be some logic in this if one is not familiar with the Cimex in residential but it shines here (15 inch {19 also works but 15 is much simpler}).
    The super value of it, particularly in residential, is the ability to lift the nap of the carpet and agitate each fiber all around it, no single disc machine can do this because they spin in only one direction and smash the fibers down and scrub them on one side only. A single disc machine also has a lot of torque to it and can damage weak carpet and never get the edges clean as it will bounce on a molding and not 'float' to scrub it. The Cimex is made for this and it will not damage carpet as it has no torque and it lifts the fibers up, it does not scrub them flat (this is with brushes on the Cimex).
    I even scrub hook latch carpets with the Cimex, without damage, one would never be able to do this with a single disc machine.
    If all one has is a small single disc machine, it is way better than nothing, and I have used them some through the years but very limited. They simply do not compare with a Cimex in the agitation phase nor in the safety phase.

SAA

• Like Like x 1