Thanks all for the input

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
I have 42 pews to bid out.

They are 15 feet by 1.5 feet. How long using a upholstery tool would this take each?

I am guessing 8 to 10 minutes each.

So at 10 minutes each, I am guessing 7 hours to complete the work. (10 x 42 = 420. 420/ 60 minutes)

So taking my helpers rate of $115 an hour billed, I am looking at about $19 each pew.

Does that sound about market rate for a pew?
Think you did a good job figuring out what your costs are.

Works much better then making it up doesnt it.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
Jay,

Depending on the fabric, it might be feasible to use a stair wand to cover the large areas quickly and have your helper come behind with the upholstery tool to touch up or get into areas you couldnt. thats assuming dual wanding of course. Just have to watch the pressure on the stair tool as the volume of water output in greater than the upholstery tool. We have done this on several churchs and it worked out great.
If this would work, it should cut down on you time on site and labor costs.
I do 37 pews for $685 .I use a one jet wand cut down to a stair tool , I prespray with heavey duty soil lifter by chemspec in a hydoforce and run 3/4 cup of formula 90 to a whole 5 gal. Jug . My helper wipes after me all wood areas immediately .we do about 3-4 each and take turns . 4 hrs if I rember
I would highly suggest using an enzyme on those seats, I have done 1 church, I had to stop half way through to go out and empty my filter. I opened it up and the stuff oooooozed out, I had to grab the pressure washing wand and clean off the grass. There was so much body oil that came out of those chairs it was disgusting. They did look brand new when I was done though.

I did get a larger stair tool. So I think spraying down with a good enzyme prespray using the hudroforce and using a stair tool should cut some major time off of the cleaning. I like the idea of switching back and forth.

One presprays and works it in using a brush(heck maybe even a push broom, that should cut some major time off of it), the other cleans.

I bet I could cut this down to 5 hours doing it this way. So I think I will keep the rate if $19 each, and get extra profit by increasing speed rather then price per.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
My cut down wand does it in two passes top and two passes on the bottom I just move along .
A upholstery tool will take forever and you will be beat up by the end of the day

Kenny Wright

Jan 29, 2009
Virginia
Real Name
Kenny Wright
Business Location
United States
It helps a lot to take a helper to either work on wax or hold the cushions still (if they are tied-on), etc.

lisah

Apr 1, 2014
wisconsin
Real Name
lisa hernandez
wondering what you would charge for 48 pews 2- 8 foot cushions each so a total of 96 cushions and 88 chairs and how long would anyone guess for timing with just 1 person extracting.

fboet

Aug 24, 2006
Miami, Fl.
Real Name
Frank Boet
Business Location
United States
We clean the pews at our parish with a glided stair tool set at 100 psi. 15 ft pew in 2 minutes.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I have 42 pews to bid out.

They are 15 feet by 1.5 feet. How long using a upholstery tool would this take each?

I am guessing 8 to 10 minutes each.

So at 10 minutes each, I am guessing 7 hours to complete the work. (10 x 42 = 420. 420/ 60 minutes)

So taking my helpers rate of $115 an hour billed, I am looking at about $19 each pew.

Does that sound about market rate for a pew?
'PREY' on it Jay!