Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
I have 42 pews to bid out.

They are 15 feet by 1.5 feet. How long using a upholstery tool would this take each?

I am guessing 8 to 10 minutes each.

So at 10 minutes each, I am guessing 7 hours to complete the work. (10 x 42 = 420. 420/ 60 minutes)

So taking my helpers rate of $115 an hour billed, I am looking at about $19 each pew.

Does that sound about market rate for a pew?

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
thats a fair price, no doubt
Does 10 minutes sound about right each one?

Never cleaned a pew before, can only guess about time.

They are old and brown, easy fabric to clean. Didnt see major staining.

SkylinePrints

Nov 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
www.GuardianCarpetCleaning.com
Real Name
Nathan
Business Location
United States
Jay,

Depending on the fabric, it might be feasible to use a stair wand to cover the large areas quickly and have your helper come behind with the upholstery tool to touch up or get into areas you couldnt. thats assuming dual wanding of course. Just have to watch the pressure on the stair tool as the volume of water output in greater than the upholstery tool. We have done this on several churchs and it worked out great.
If this would work, it should cut down on you time on site and labor costs.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
Jay,

Depending on the fabric, it might be feasible to use a stair wand to cover the large areas quickly and have your helper come behind with the upholstery tool to touch up or get into areas you couldnt. thats assuming dual wanding of course. Just have to watch the pressure on the stair tool as the volume of water output in greater than the upholstery tool. We have done this on several churchs and it worked out great.
If this would work, it should cut down on you time on site and labor costs.
Yea I was planning on dual wanting the entire thing. I like this idea alot!

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
Sounds about right. About 10 minutes for 15 feet, that's about how long it took me to do 12-13 feet with an upholstery tool.
How many did you do?

What cost were you at?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
With just the seat cushions your going to fly through them pretty fast. 19. a pew sounds reasonable. I charge a dollar a linear ft. on pews. Seat and back are separate so 2.00 a ft. if I have to do both. I've run into so many churches that have several different sizes of pews ranging from 3 ft. long to over 20 ft. long. Most I've done have seat and back cushions. Generally they're about the easiest upholstery cleaning there is in my experience.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
"So taking my helpers rate of $115 an hour billed, I am looking at about $19 each pew."

Can I just sell my business and come work for you. I like that rate you pay your helper. I will work 8, 10, 12 hours per day for that rate! :eek:

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
"So taking my helpers rate of $115 an hour billed, I am looking at about $19 each pew."

Can I just sell my business and come work for you. I like that rate you pay your helper. I will work 8, 10, 12 hours per day for that rate! :eek:
Ha if only he made that much.

onfire_02_01

Apr 28, 2011
Minnesota
www.minnesotacandr.com
Real Name
Jeremy Gray
Business Location
United States
I would highly suggest using an enzyme on those seats, I have done 1 church, I had to stop half way through to go out and empty my filter. I opened it up and the stuff oooooozed out, I had to grab the pressure washing wand and clean off the grass. There was so much body oil that came out of those chairs it was disgusting. They did look brand new when I was done though.

Reactions: Barry C

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
I do 37 pews for $685 .I use a one jet wand cut down to a stair tool , I prespray with heavey duty soil lifter by chemspec in a hydoforce and run 3/4 cup of formula 90 to a whole 5 gal. Jug . My helper wipes after me all wood areas immediately .we do about 3-4 each and take turns . 4 hrs if I rember

Reactions: jaymark

Jack

Oct 4, 2012
Washington
www.criticalcarpetcare.com
Real Name
Jack Jones
Business Location
United States
I would highly suggest using an enzyme on those seats, I have done 1 church, I had to stop half way through to go out and empty my filter. I opened it up and the stuff oooooozed out, I had to grab the pressure washing wand and clean off the grass. There was so much body oil that came out of those chairs it was disgusting. They did look brand new when I was done though.
People must be oilier where you live. Never heard of such a thing. Maybe they spill a lot of anointing oil.

Kenny Wright

Jan 29, 2009
Virginia
Real Name
Kenny Wright
Business Location
United States
I usually charge $20 per pew. It is usually an easy job, imo. What you need to watch out for is candle wax. It comes out pretty easily with the brown paper bag & low-heat iron method but those candle wax removals add considerable time to the job.

SkylinePrints

Nov 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
www.GuardianCarpetCleaning.com
Real Name
Nathan
Business Location
United States
I usually charge $20 per pew. It is usually an easy job, imo. What you need to watch out for is candle wax. It comes out pretty easily with the brown paper bag & low-heat iron method but those candle wax removals add considerable time to the job.
wow! that brought back a nightmare. cleaned a church back when i was with SS who had their candle light vigil the night before. Candle was was EVERYWHERE! I swear i think they must have been throwing it each other. :D

Low heat and white towel was how we dealt with it. took a whole day to clean that up.