Cherry Picking Customers and Jobs | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Cherry Picking Customers and Jobs

Emart63

Oct 1, 2014
Real Name
Eric Martsen
Business Location
United States
I just told a longtime PITA residential customer that I’m not available to do her job. Tired of ridiculous complaints, overly aggressive price haggling, 3 schedule changes per job scheduled, adding stuff to clean at the last minute 2 floors above upstairs when we’ve worked our way down to the basement already and are ready to exit building, always asking us to come back in to clean an imaginary spot after we’ve rolled up the hoses, etc etc. This one was sent here to test me! Straight from the book of Job! So i finally said

Feels great!

Don’t want to get too snotty though!
If the phone stops ringing with all those peachy nice , easy peasy customers, I’ll be ready to bottom scrape again!

Feels right at the moment though! Anybody else done that, told a customer, “No Thank You”?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fedri

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I've done things similar with unreasonable customers. It's not the fact that you cant please all people but you can't please a miserable, bad attitude.

Ed Valentine

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan, USA
cross-american.com
Real Name
Ed Valentine
Business Location
United States
Brian hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately it is the same in our business; several examples I could offer as well.
I have come to realize and confirm that over the past 48 years doing what we have done, that 98% of those who complain normally have "other problems" not even related to your situation! And most of these individuals love to complain and focus on you or your product/service instead. That of course makes them feel better.

Deranged.

Reactions: Emart63

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I just told a longtime PITA residential customer that I’m not available to do her job. Tired of ridiculous complaints, overly aggressive price haggling, 3 schedule changes per job scheduled, adding stuff to clean at the last minute 2 floors above upstairs when we’ve worked our way down to the basement already and are ready to exit building, always asking us to come back in to clean an imaginary spot after we’ve rolled up the hoses, etc etc. This one was sent here to test me! Straight from the book of Job! So i finally said

Feels great!

Don’t want to get too snotty though!
If the phone stops ringing with all those peachy nice , easy peasy customers, I’ll be ready to bottom scrape again!

Feels right at the moment though! Anybody else done that, told a customer, “No Thank You”?
That is a horrible customer, I had one customer in the past with few dogs who would pee on the carpet right as I am packing up. After few days she would call me for a free touch up with the new pee stains. Finally I didn't reply back and she never called back.

Reactions: Emart63

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
been there done that, but its been quite awhile. Nowadays you have to consider the possibility of getting a bad review.

Emart63

Oct 1, 2014
Real Name
Eric Martsen
Business Location
United States
been there done that, but its been quite awhile. Nowadays you have to consider the possibility of getting a bad review.

That is absolutely true! In days gone by I might have given a nightmare customer a piece of my mind (actually I DID used to do that long ago!) but now I’m somewhat terrified of an embarrassing bad review. Not so much for any loss of business but for the shaming involved! Take me out in public, put my naked body in the stockade in the public square and tar and feather me, but please don’t embarrass me online. Especially on a hyperlocal platform like NEXTDOOR.COM. As my teenage daughters say, “AWKWARD!!”

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Latest posts