Chemspec Formula 90 w/Biosolve

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Ive used it for years. The guy i worked for used it everyday. Never any problems. Breathing it straight out of the container i wouldnt advise. But i wouldnt advise breathing in dry hot chocolate mix niether for that matter. I still use formula 90. Only now the liquid version. Theres no lingering odor with either. You can faintly smell it while in use. Once dry the odor is gone. They must of used something else added deoderizer? If at all anything if mixed heavy it will leave carpet stiff to the touch. As far as the sofa idk why he used it there. Acid would be better as rinse to remove and neutralize the pre applied stronger cleaner.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
With the dilution ratio and the bulk of the product that surely got tied up during the cleaning process and extracted there really isn't much "trisodium NTA" dust to go around over the 2800-4200 ft² of carpet cleaned depending on the metering. I clearly wouldn't wash a baby with formula 90, but inhalation or transdermal effects on a baby from dried carpet is a near zero IMO, if it was diluted per the label.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Thats one possible issue though dwyer meters can be finicky and over mix in some areas.

I totally understand using heavier chems when its horrible trashed carpet but if its just relatively medium/heavy soil at best its just not at all needed

Also have to consider your techs lungs or yours...

Youll never find me steaming up some formula 90 in a stairwell lol, I care about my health more than thay

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I did a super trashed bong water scum filled 2 bedroom apartment today. Didnt require anything more than bio pro 10k pre spray, fresh water rinse, slow 360 passes at 240f degrees

Like a hot knife through butter

Pre spraying stronger chems is much less hazardous than rinsing at operating temps.

OSHA has workplace standards for a reason they would never have anything to do with the carpet cleaning industry for a reason LOL

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The products we use have gotten much safer and better over the years. I to like a clear water rinse with just a tiny amount of just surfactant metered in. It makes the water wetter and rinses fantastic and definitely isn't a health issue at high temps.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I did a super trashed bong water scum filled 2 bedroom apartment today. Didnt require anything more than bio pro 10k pre spray, fresh water rinse, slow 360 passes at 240f degrees

Like a hot knife through butter

Pre spraying stronger chems is much less hazardous than rinsing at operating temps.

OSHA has workplace standards for a reason they would never have anything to do with the carpet cleaning industry for a reason LOL
Osha was called into a shop i was working at. One of the employees had beef with the owner. But for years they all saw the california cancer sticker on the insulation they were cutting. He told osha to look into thst and the use of acetone to clean metal. The insulation had sds warning of cancer caused by silica. I always made fun of them for being afraid of it. They all have phones but not one of them even looked up what silica is and used in. Osha had them wear these sensors while sawing the material. Came back negative. They said simple dust mask is all is needed to prevent irritation. They said use of fitted mask you need to train the employee on how to properly fit, clean and use. With yearly fllowup training. They did hammer the place though on saws with missing guards and old belt sanders with no belt covers.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I use formula 90 almost exclusively. I mix 3 cups to 5 gallons. Never have problems with stains coming back unless the stain is in the padding. Great product

Anna7773

Jan 8, 2019
Real Name
Agi muchowicz
Thank you for all replies.
Any views on the fact that he used Chemspec 90 formula powder on sofas? Is it possible to vacuum crystals which apparently are left after cleaning if the product went inside the sofa and below the material. I was told by my chemist friend the it will not be possible. Do I need to worry if the product is inside my sofas now?
Plus I only vacuumed after 3 weeks when I found info on internet.
I hate worrying about it Please help. If anyone had a trading with Chemspec is this product ok for sofas?

Anna7773

Jan 8, 2019
Real Name
Agi muchowicz
Ive used it for years. The guy i worked for used it everyday. Never any problems. Breathing it straight out of the container i wouldnt advise. But i wouldnt advise breathing in dry hot chocolate mix niether for that matter. I still use formula 90. Only now the liquid version. Theres no lingering odor with either. You can faintly smell it while in use. Once dry the odor is gone. They must of used something else added deoderizer? If at all anything if mixed heavy it will leave carpet stiff to the touch. As far as the sofa idk why he used it there. Acid would be better as rinse to remove and neutralize the pre applied stronger cleaner.
On the sofa he sprayed something first and later used Chemspec 90 formula powder, is it really bad for health, kids? What should I do now?

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
On the sofa he sprayed something first and later used Chemspec 90 formula powder, is it really bad for health, kids? What should I do now?
If you read the ingredients you will notice they are common in cleaning products and some foods believe it or not. More or less it's more for handleing as we are pouring concentrate powder right out of the bucket under our noses. It wouldnt be a threat to you. Especially on one occasion and diluted at that.
I wouldnt use it on sofa as its ph is high and could possibly cause browning of fabric is all. Plus it can tend to be crunchy to the touch as the salts used in it dry on the surface. Your chemist left out the thought of wicking. As it dries. The moisture along with possible soil will rise to the surface of the fabric where solids will be left as water evaporates. Just like a candle paraffin moves up the "wick".

If you are worried have another cleaner rinse it. Tell them your concerns. And ask for sds sheet on any cleaner they will use. Ive used vinegar before as rinse for instance. At low dilution the odor is near non existent and when dry there is absolutely no odors. Just beware even the dfc or green cleaners sold still carry a irritant hazard warning. If still worried. You may be able to talk your cleaner into using your laundry detergent. As you know it doesnt affect your kids skin. Some guys will do that for you.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Also keep in mind the formula 90 is a rinse and is coming out of the jets. It has very short momentary contact with the fabric. Its not going deep down. As soon as it hits the fabric the vacuum it pulling it right back up. The first spray would have had the time to soak down. Do you know what he used for that?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I think the best way for you to get your answer is to call Chemspec directly on this. I can tell you that Formula 90 has been around for a long time and been used by many cleaners all across this country and other countries. I personally don't think you or your kids are in any danger from it. As far as your upholstery I think vacuuming it with a good upholstery tool should remove by far most of any residue left in the fabric which will be a very small amount as most of it is removed in the cleaning process. Remember the product is diluted way down from it's concentrated form and almost all of it is carried back to the machine it came out of. We're talking scant amounts both in the carpet and upholstery.

As to whether or not it should be used on upholstery. There's not a yes or no answer to that one. It's more of a maybe. Some fabrics are very sensitive to high ph products. The usable ph of Formula 90 is about 10.5 so it could definitely cause problems particularly on natural fibers. Once I cleaned a Haitian cotton chair with a detergent about 20 years ago with a ph of less than 10. It turned dark brown on contact so I immediately quit and luckily was able to fix the situation. So, if your furniture cleaned up ok with the Formula 90 I suspect the very tiny amount of residue left behind will come out with vacuuming and you and your kids will be just fine.

Here is the manufacturer of Formula 90. I think they will tell you the same and maybe alleviate your fears better than I can. I am not affiliated with them in any way, shape, or form. I have used numbers of their products over the years though. https://www.legendbrandscleaning.com/Products/Formula-90-with-Biosolv

Jan 8, 2019
Real Name
Agi muchowicz
Also keep in mind the formula 90 is a rinse and is coming out of the jets. It has very short momentary contact with the fabric. Its not going deep down. As soon as it hits the fabric the vacuum it pulling it right back up. The first spray would have had the time to soak down. Do you know what he used for that?
I do not know what he sprayed with, it was in a bottle without any label on it.

Jan 8, 2019
Real Name
Agi muchowicz
All cleaning was done with an extractor or something similar but it was not steam cleaning, not at the high temperature. Does it mean the product had time to go deep into the sofa?

As a rinse is it ok to use just water or I need to mix it with something?
I have bought vax advace power carpet cleaner and cleaned already one sofa and a carpet twice just with water.
When the carpet got wet the cicrus smell of formula 90 came back for about two days(it was dry after around 6h). The smell which was activated tells me that the detergent is still in the carpet. Today I cleaned with just water second time and the smell is let intense.

I have emailed chemspec, waiting for a reply.

Thank you in advance

Jan 8, 2019
Real Name
Agi muchowicz
Question how do you know if he used form90 on the sofa. Did he tell you? Because he may have used it on the carpet but then switched to fresh water.
He had only on product and add more water and the product before cleaning second sofa. Also I could see a little bit of white foam coming out during sofa cleaning