Chemical safety poll | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Chemical safety poll

How important is safe(r) chemistry to you?

• 100% green

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Mostly green

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Moderate yet powerful

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Caustic yet cheap

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

mustangcarpet

Jun 19, 2014
Arizona
Real Name
Justin V
For the last few months I have just been keeping 7 raw prespray boosters and ingredients with me and only mixing up what I need for the job at hand. Very satisfied with using just enough of what I actually need for the fiber and soil type. It's become almost automatic with a cursory look to formulate the right prespray. Not for everyone for sure, but wished I had done it sooner and it leaves accountability for results right where it belongs anyway, on my shoulders.

Wait so you’re just mixing up your own prespray?

mustangcarpet

Jun 19, 2014
Arizona
Real Name
Justin V
I believe he uses procyon as a base and then just adds what he needs to that based upon the fiber and soil type.

Ah cool that’s kinda what I do. Procyon plus then add citrus or sodium percarbonate IF needed... then bio break for the beat up carpet.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I don't use procyon for carpet, but do mix everything as needed. My only ingredients are as follows:

Biokleen all purpose cleaner surfactant
Pure d-limonene
Sodium percarbonate
Super Washing Soda
Sodium tripolyphosphate
Sodium silicate
Trisodium phosphate

I only run what is needed for the job and run mostly just a warm water only rinse on synthetics. Rinsing with a chemical to remove chemicals that already did the job is redundancy and waste. Nothing rinses like distilled water, but the next best thing is soft water... Unless you are adjusting pH after the work is done for another purpose like natural fibers or applying protector.

Reactions: mustangcarpet

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Procyon users love our ProSafe. Also Procyon and Prosafe and the DIY mix guys keep Groutmaster around for the nasties. Makes them unstoppable.

Reactions: mustangcarpet

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
There's a reason that I tell my guys "we never ever use the word SAFE in this industry."

The big chemical companies like Bridgepoint, Prochem, CTI, Chemspec, and the like have spent DECADES of time and THOUSANDS of man-hours formulating products that not only work, but present the lowest possible risk to the technician when they are used as directed and when proper PPE is used.

The people who develop these products are not fly-by-night hucksters, nor are they part-time home chemists. They are professional chemists who carry degrees in their field, and do this all day and all night. It is their only job.

Their success or failure in their chosen field is determined by how well their products work FOR YOU. You literally drive their development, and they make what you demand.

I'm all about being as non-toxic as possible. But there are times when a job requires aggressive chemistry to undo the damage done by neglect. You can't always be "safe" and "green" and "eco-friendly". Sometimes you've gotta get nasty. Show me a customer who has consistently maintained their carpet properly, and I'll show you someone who never calls a carpet cleaner.

There are plenty of less toxic chemicals out there that you can offer your customer, but you must ask yourself what percentage of your customers consider it their primary concern in choosing a cleaner, versus the percentage who are worried about speed, results, and price?

There's a reason we've seen the same chemicals used over and over ad nauseum in this industry - THEY WORK.

The hazard risks in properly diluted carpet cleaning chemicals are no worse than those found on laundry detergent, household ammonia, Windex, dish soap, or housepaint.

The difference lies in your exposure as a professional to the concentrated forms of these chemicals. What comes into the customer's house is diluted. And if you do your due diligence and rinse appropriately, the small amount of residue left behind when you're gone is so negligible as to not even be there at all.

If you're not willing to take responsibility for your own safety and put yourself at a level above that of the average homeowner, that's not the fault of the chemical manufacturer.

I do use the term Safe because it has to be, mainly for me second to the client. If anyone is to be expose to anything hazardous it will be me or the cleaning technician.

I am very picky on products I use and when I use them and more importantly communicating with a client. I think that If you are not sure of what you are using and you do NOT understand that health risks, and the health Hazard codes then its best not to use the "Safe" term.

I really appreciate it when a manufacturer takes the time and money to have their product independent tested and receive green status certification.

And then theres the term

Bio degradable will break down with time
and
Organic found in nature

and the latest one Ive seen with certification is

Organic Food grade
and
Medical endorsed for low immunity or persons with a very sensitive health condition
(ive used this type for a client and he pays very well)

Just be careful people and do pay attention to chemistry

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Im sorry for being silly. This stuff is serious, I mean no disrespect

BCDA8CEE-03C3-4DE3-B207-402FFA1E9AF2.jpeg

Trust me, I know. I was quite serious in my first post where I said I’m sorry I didn’t care sooner. The last two years have sucked, I’d give anything to be able to breathe normal again.

Reactions: rob allen

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Procyon users love our ProSafe. Also Procyon and Prosafe and the DIY mix guys keep Groutmaster around for the nasties. Makes them unstoppable.

Ill give Pro safe a try. Ill order some, Thanks Rob, ill try it an report with some feedback

Reactions: rob allen

puffinnuggins

Sep 10, 2016
Real Name
Jeff Keeven
In an ideal world a single product with a zero rating across the board that's safe for any textile and can actually clean just about anything you throw at it would be ideal. I have't found such a thing in my close to 31 years now although I have seen some very good ones. I haven't tried a lot of the so called green products. I noticed some seem to have no better health rating that some of their non-green counterparts if I'm not mistaken. Pretty rare to see a health rating of 0 and no toxic or carcinogenic materials.
Procyon is fairly close and works on everything side note there is a version of meat packing salt that nutrlizes urine stains etc.

Sent from my XT1585 using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: wandwizard

Joshua Johnson

Sep 7, 2013
How important is safe(r) cleaning chemistry to you? We can easily make harmful hazardous to breathe and handle cleaning solutions that would clean well for cheap. At TMF we care about our customers and your clients safety. Some online formulators are using very dangerous active ingredients and harmful fragrances. The use high ph caustic agents that are not only dangerous to your, health and others but cause re-soil issues, open one to lawsuits and damage furnishing. Including household furnishings, transitions, stainless steel, degrees fiber and voids warranties.

However we at TMF strive for safest yet most effective cleaning solutions. Their are low ph cleaning agents that cost more, clean better, do not re-soil, do not void warranties are extremely safe at rtu. Plus all of our products are 100% soap free with no sticky or harmful residue. Yes it costs a little more on our part but provides peace of mind for you, your techs and clients who have children and pets that come into close contact with carpet. Still, I thought I would start a poll to see how important safety is to you.

Green;

View attachment 78325

Mostly Green;

View attachment 78326

Moderate yet powerful;

View attachment 78327

Caustic;

View attachment 78328
What does "green" really mean?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
You could cause real harm to your body with a lot of these products using them daily...

but most likely you wont really notice the effects, youll be tired and just assume its from the labor of cleaning carpets.

or estrogen levels will climb in men causing weight gain, man boobs, etc

ever wonder why carpet cleaners who do so much physical labor all day every day are typically overweight?
I say again, if you're following the directions and using proper PPE, you will feel NO effects, because you will have no exposure to the concentrate.

And there's nothing wrong with man-boobs. Gives you something to hang the tassels from when you work your second job at night. ;)

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Randy, what's especially funny is how the word "organic" has been hijacked in multiple industries.

The actual definition of the word organic (as it applies to chemistry) is simply a chemical or chemical family that contains carbon - and by extension, is sourced from animal or vegetable origin. There is nothing about the word organic that implies safe or non-toxic.

Here's a handy little list of 100% organic compounds found in nature:

Rattlesnake venom
Skunk spray
Cat urine
Crude oil (YES!)
Fecal matter from any animal on the planet
Pus
Jellyfish venom
Monkey vomit
Lava
Slug slime

Wanna clean your carpet with those? ... why not? They're organic and all-natural!!!

Organic compounds you listed break down in nature in a week or two and are no longer toxic in a natural deposits. After a week or two the listed items become benifical to all life on earth in some way.

They say if Rattlesnake venom did not break down in a shot time, you would get sick drinking the water.

A mountain of fecal matter in one spot is not a natural deposit.
A mountain of fecal matter is toxc by itself and can also support the growth of other dangers.

Last edited:

Bolton's Carpet

Dec 28, 2015
Real Name
Paul Bolton
As life seems to go on more and more people seem to become sensitive to chemicals. With this in mind I try to stay on the green side of things as much as possible, you never quite know if someones child will have a reaction. I would be crushed if I caused anyone pain through something I did or cleaned.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
For the record, I could take Flex, one of Bridgepoint's highest-selling chemicals, and drink it straight and it would likely kill me (or at least do serious irreversible damage to my kidneys and digestive system.)

If I put an ounce of Flex into a five-gallon bucket of water and drink it over a period of days, I will suffer NO ill effects. I won't even be able to taste it.

Dilution matters, people.

I’m working on a product that anyone could drink full strength or diluted and suffer zero ill effects.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Properly diluted chemicals are going to be hard to do harm to anything. Undiluted while mixing or using spotters which are typically straight dope is where transdermal absorbtion can get you, especially over a lifetime. Use your shears, gloves, the heel of the spotting bottle, the wand, anything but your bare mittens with the raw stuff of any flavor. Too much of anything, even natural "so called safe" products is a bad thing.

Everyone wants to blame tobacco for cancer, yet nobody looks at the flint lighter even a little bit as even a minor contributor (Bic has dodged that bullet so far, but it's coming)... Look at everything folks.