Chemical safety poll | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Chemical safety poll

How important is safe(r) chemistry to you?

• 100% green

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Mostly green

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Moderate yet powerful

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Caustic yet cheap

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I would disagree on even the moderate amounts of salt being fine.. but that is another conversation. It just seems that there are other products around that have zero health ratings that are way safer without the 2butoxyethanol that still do a great job so why add it in? I get that it is a solvent but why not d limonene then?

And that is for the rsf. How is that even close to being safe?

There are many degrees of safe though...if you can have something with all zeros on the sds side of things then why wouldn't you use that if it still cleans great.
Please put all your points in ONE reply instead making several in a row in a few minutes. It reminds me of my wife when she is texting when mad. (I condensed them)

mustangcarpet

Jun 19, 2014
Arizona
Real Name
Justin V
These sds sheets are they speaking of direct out of the bottle or is that data after its mixed?
And all of them seem to have the skin irritant symbols. Best guess is to cover their own azz because they cant know who will or will not have a skin reaction to it.

Out of the bottle before dilution

Reactions: keep it clean

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Randy, what's especially funny is how the word "organic" has been hijacked in multiple industries.

The actual definition of the word organic (as it applies to chemistry) is simply a chemical or chemical family that contains carbon - and by extension, is sourced from animal or vegetable origin. There is nothing about the word organic that implies safe or non-toxic.

Here's a handy little list of 100% organic compounds found in nature:

Rattlesnake venom
Skunk spray
Cat urine
Crude oil (YES!)
Fecal matter from any animal on the planet
Pus
Jellyfish venom
Monkey vomit
Lava
Slug slime

Wanna clean your carpet with those? ... why not? They're organic and all-natural!!!
lol Hey don't forget the wacky weed.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We use boric acid in the pest control industry. It is extremely safe and organic. But if you drink a glassful it will kill you. So a product in its concentrated form may be somewhat moderate but dilute it down to 2-4oz in a gallon and you have 99% green, thus you have RSF Free & Clear.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
We use boric acid in the pest control industry. It is extremely safe and organic. But if you drink a glassful it will kill you. So a product in its concentrated form may be somewhat moderate but dilute it down to 2-4oz in a gallon and you have 99% green, thus you have RSF Free & Clear.
Ah yes, the infamous "green" chemicals. Let's look at those, shall we?

Here's a short list of 100% natural, plant-sourced chemicals:

Strychnine
Psoralen
Oxalic acid
Acetone (yes, it comes from plants)
Formic acid
Terpenes
Cyanide
Ricin

... want those in your carpet?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

I know us old timers used a lot of toxic chemicals back in the day which has screwed us up both mentally and physically but are you really putting bug spray in RSF?:p

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States
What Rob has created is products that are safer than a number of competitors and get better results...

If you want completely green you would buy the pro safe.

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States
Safety is important to me, I'm concerned about how it affects my customers, my own health, and my ability to get results. All things considered, I think TMF products are outstanding!

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
SDS sheets are always the concentrate in the package. That is why we developed RTU SDS sheets for some of our products.

Many consumer cleaners are ready to use out of the bottle. It is easy to have a safer product SDS when it is 99% water.

We make about 40 products with our Green Balance (manufacturer's standard) logo as a concentrate. Many products we make are not "green" in the concentrate but can be almost green in ready to use solutions. Bio Break 98.2% green in RTU, Flex Powder 99.43% green in RTU, Zone Perfect 95.53% green in RTU, Fab Set 99.98% green in RTU, Traffic Slam 99.76% green in RTU. I would anticipate that most of us never got a 98% on a math or science test. The micro is important but the macro is more important. If the product does not perform it is not really green because it is a waste of resources and potentially leads to premature filling of the landfill for carpets which could have been cleaned. In short, we try to be good stewards of both the environment, items restored by cleaning, and the health of all involved in cleaning.

Green strongly correlates with safer but not always. Hydrogen Peroxide reverts to water and oxygen which is about as green as you can get, but it is not a safe product to handle in the plant or in concentrated products like Stain Zone. Some acids and some alkalines can be green environmentally (release to the environment after use results in dilution) but not be safe to humans in concentrate from.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I know us old timers used a lot of toxic chemicals back in the day which has screwed us up both mentally and physically but are you really putting bug spray in RSF?:p

No bug spray for my public products. I have a couple secret ones reserved for my trolls though.

Reactions: Suction Junkie

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I eat green and organic.

I’m working on a rinse that’s 100% green and organic. I plan on drinking a gallon to prove it.

Reactions: mustangcarpet

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I eat green and organic.

I’m working on a rinse that’s 100% green and organic. I plan on drinking a gallon to prove it.

@Blacktiedetailing and @Johnny Bravo already beat you to it.

F9562E4C-46A4-479C-A073-D2EA250DFB2C.png

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
Making a rinse that works without phosphates is a hard task. Phosphates are not green but are safer as some are used as food preservatives. I like the term green as there are sources of information like the EPA Safer Ingredient list which is where I go to evaluate the '"green status" of raw materials that we use or source. Organic means nothing to me in terms of cleaning chemicals.

I am highly skeptical of organic in food having been raised on a farm. We can't even get the government to play it straight on investigations regarding presidential candidates, why do you think they will get it right on organic standards for food.

Reactions: Mama Fen

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
"green" is a very loosely used word.

and if you go by OSHA standards you can hardly clean 1 room of carpet with just about any of the stronger pre sprays before they would consider it a health hazard.

Reactions: Suction Junkie

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
You could cause real harm to your body with a lot of these products using them daily...

but most likely you wont really notice the effects, youll be tired and just assume its from the labor of cleaning carpets.

or estrogen levels will climb in men causing weight gain, man boobs, etc

ever wonder why carpet cleaners who do so much physical labor all day every day are typically overweight?

Reactions: sbsscn

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
For the last few months I have just been keeping 7 raw prespray boosters and ingredients with me and only mixing up what I need for the job at hand. Very satisfied with using just enough of what I actually need for the fiber and soil type. It's become almost automatic with a cursory look to formulate the right prespray. Not for everyone for sure, but wished I had done it sooner and it leaves accountability for results right where it belongs anyway, on my shoulders.