Changing the pulley size 3.3 and 20hp.

Overly Cleaning Service

Oct 22, 2014
Ocala,FL
Real Name
Travis Overly
I purchased a used no name truck mount earlier this year. 20hp kohler, cat pump, 3.3 blower.

It does fine but after looking around it appears 20hp is a bit much for a 3.3 blower. I looked at the pulley sizes this morning. They are both 8 inches in diameter. Does that mean when I am turning the motor at 3000rpms I am turning the blower at 3000rpms as well? Does this sound normal?
I would like to quiet the unit down a little and maybe save some fuel by lowering the engine rpm possibly.
Couldn't I under drive the blower?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I have a similar setup. I had a 20 hp I actually just replaced it with a 24 hp and a 33 blower. I set the pulley ratios so that the engine runs at 2500 and the blower is running at 3600.

If I were you I would definitely change your pulley and speed up the blower for sure. You will see a huge increase in vacuum with a 600 rpm increase on the blower.

I also changed out my blower silencer which made a huge difference in the amount of noise.

Overly Cleaning Service

Oct 22, 2014
Ocala,FL
Real Name
Travis Overly
I have a similar setup. I had a 20 hp I actually just replaced it with a 24 hp and a 33 blower. I set the pulley ratios so that the engine runs at 2500 and the blower is running at 3600.

If I were you I would definitely change your pulley and speed up the blower for sure. You will see a huge increase in vacuum with a 600 rpm increase on the blower.

I also changed out my blower silencer which made a huge difference in the amount of noise.

Do you remember what size pulleys you were running? Where did you get replacement pulleys from?
I have a muffler for my blower silencer. I am considering a glass pack after it to dampen noise more. I think the loudest part is running this old 1998 Kohler at a high rpm though.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Do you remember what size pulleys you were running? Where did you get replacement pulleys from?
I have a muffler for my blower silencer. I am considering a glass pack after it to dampen noise more. I think the loudest part is running this old 1998 Kohler at a high rpm though.
I don't remember my exact sizes however here is a pulley ratio calculator you can use. http://www.culvermotor.com/Engineering-Formulas/Pulley-and-RPM-Calculator.html

I put your info in, if you leave the drive pulley at 8 inches you would want to put a 6.67 (so 6.5) inch pulley on the blower to have the engine running 3000 rpm's and the blower 3600.

I got my pulleys from a local shop called Aztec Bearing. Try finding a local shop to you that sells pulleys. One of the larger national chains is Bearing Belt & Chain. If you have a hard time finding a supplier you can go to your local auto parts store and ask where the best place is to buy pulleys.

comfort carpet care

Jul 15, 2013
Georgia
www.comfortcarpetcare.com
Real Name
Michael Comfort
I don't remember my exact sizes however here is a pulley ratio calculator you can use. http://www.culvermotor.com/Engineering-Formulas/Pulley-and-RPM-Calculator.html

I put your info in, if you leave the drive pulley at 8 inches you would want to put a 6.67 (so 6.5) inch pulley on the blower to have the engine running 3000 rpm's and the blower 3600.

I got my pulleys from a local shop called Aztec Bearing. Try finding a local shop to you that sells pulleys. One of the larger national chains is Bearing Belt & Chain. If you have a hard time finding a supplier you can go to your local auto parts store and ask where the best place is to buy pulleys.
Todd that calculator is great, thx for the share!

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Average Guy CCer

Jun 8, 2015
Real Name
William
I purchased a used no name truck mount earlier this year. 20hp kohler, cat pump, 3.3 blower.

It does fine but after looking around it appears 20hp is a bit much for a 3.3 blower. I looked at the pulley sizes this morning. They are both 8 inches in diameter. Does that mean when I am turning the motor at 3000rpms I am turning the blower at 3000rpms as well? Does this sound normal?
I would like to quiet the unit down a little and maybe save some fuel by lowering the engine rpm possibly.
Couldn't I under drive the blower?
Yes and it's easy will save fuel and wear on the motor