CGD in church

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
I have a CGD in a church that has only been cleaned with a rug doctor for the past 15 years. Equipment I have available to use is a e1500 Pullman portable with 100 psi and a 175 with carpet brush and 1 scrub bonnet. What Chems would work best in this situation. The carpets is in decent shape showing dirt only in traffic lanes. I won't have pics until Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
So it looks like its getting cleaned by a rug doctor for 16 years.

For me I would test to see if its nylon or olefin. Depending on that answer that should direct your chem choice. For the churches clean, I normally spray the prespray hot, traffic lanes get buffed with a 175, then I extract wish a all fiber rinse and place lots of drying fans unless its the winter.

Reactions: Bob the floor guy

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
So it looks like its getting cleaned by a rug doctor for 16 years.

For me I would test to see if its nylon or olefin. Depending on that answer that should direct your chem choice. For the churches clean, I normally spray the prespray hot, traffic lanes get buffed with a 175, then I extract wish a all fiber rinse and place lots of drying fans unless its the winter.

I keep seeing people saying to test if its nylon. Whats the difference in cleaning methods when it is olefin vs nylon. My thoughts were always "if its synthetic, its synthetic" but I do always do a "wet dog" test to make sure its not wool. (Instead of doing a burn test I just wet a small area to see if it smells like a wet dog because wool smells like a wet dog when wet)

Also what does CGD stand for? Commercial Grade something? I have seen it a few times now and I am not sure exactly what it stands for.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I keep seeing people saying to test if its nylon. Whats the difference in cleaning methods when it is olefin vs nylon. My thoughts were always "if its synthetic, its synthetic" but I do always do a "wet dog" test to make sure its not wool. (Instead of doing a burn test I just wet a small area to see if it smells like a wet dog because wool smells like a wet dog when wet)

Also what does CGD stand for? Commercial Grade something? I have seen it a few times now and I am not sure exactly what it stands for.

Also, I am curious how people do a burn test on a carpet without damaging it. Now don't take that to sound as stupid as it does, I know you don't light the carpet on fire, you just remove some fibers. When it comes to upholstery you can open up cushions and cut a piece from the inside. But that doesn't hold true when it comes to carpets, I feel it is unwise to try and cut fibers from the carpets. But obviously since people do it there is a way to do it without causing damage. So please enlighten me.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I have a CGD in a church that has only been cleaned with a rug doctor for the past 15 years. Equipment I have available to use is a e1500 Pullman portable with 100 psi and a 175 with carpet brush and 1 scrub bonnet. What Chems would work best in this situation. The carpets is in decent shape showing dirt only in traffic lanes. I won't have pics until Thursday.

When I was first starting (which I kind of still am) I had to do quite a bit of work with a really old 100 psi portable, it did a fine job when I did some scrubbing. Just take your time and scrub away with the carpet brush on the 175 and it should actually look really good. Add a couple extra wand strokes since you aren't flowing as much water as a TM. Just make sure you are using a quality pre spray. I would suggest on the higher range of pH scale, I like extreme clean for a reasonably high but not too high pH (around 10) I use it the majority of the time when cleaning. And make sure you have lots of defoamer, since you have 15 years of rug doctor residue on the carpets in addition to your pre spray.

Reactions: Bob the floor guy

DJCarpetService

May 16, 2011
PA
Real Name
Jared Benedict
Business Location
United States
Also, I am curious how people do a burn test on a carpet without damaging it. Now don't take that to sound as stupid as it does, I know you don't light the carpet on fire, you just remove some fibers. When it comes to upholstery you can open up cushions and cut a piece from the inside. But that doesn't hold true when it comes to carpets, I feel it is unwise to try and cut fibers from the carpets. But obviously since people do it there is a way to do it without causing damage. So please enlighten me.
Have a set a duck bill nap shears in your van... Snip off a few fibers and test... If it's CGD you're usually safe with any cleaning chems you decide to use... I'm sure anything you have isn't going to be as harmful as anything they dumped in the rug doctor for 15 years

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
Lol, "looks like 16 years with a rug doctor" a little better but not much, I know but it's what I have at the moment. First carpet job. I do the VCT for this church and they asked if I do carpet, been wanting to get into carpet from the start so here I am.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States

Personally I just mix up some chems at the right dilution, spray them down in an area with heavy traffic and rub a white rag and see what works better. I am also always testing new chems and I keep notes on what I used in they customers file.

I am not clipping short fibers and burning them out in the truck.