Ceiling cleaning product advise | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Ceiling cleaning product advise

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
So I'm looking at cleaning the ceiling in a bar and grill later this month. It's one of those stamped tin ceilings that's been painted, lots of texture so that should be a fun pain in my neck... I'm looking for some advice on a good product to use for this though. Need a good degreaser that, while I know might damage the paint, won't just strip it off. I was told once that there are some products for fire and smoke damage that might be good for this. Not experienced with those sorts of things though. And recommendations would be great!

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Very similar pattern to this but what I'm working with has been painted green.

1573238316241.png

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Very similar pattern to this but what I'm working with has been painted green.

View attachment 87980
I gotcha. Tin or imitation plastic. With the paint it will be tough. Paint absorbs grease and oils. Will clean up initially. But like carpet will wick back. Do you know if paint is latex or oil? That will narrow down your choices in what you can use. Use the wrong thing and you can find yourself in a sticky bubbly mess.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Some jobs just aren’t worth the headache or the liability.

Reactions: Robert86

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I gotcha. Tin or imitation plastic. With the paint it will be tough. Paint absorbs grease and oils. Will clean up initially. But like carpet will wick back. Do you know if paint is latex or oil? That will narrow down your choices in what you can use. Use the wrong thing and you can find yourself in a sticky bubbly mess.
I'll ask what type of paint they used. They repaint this ceiling every 5 years and then have it cleaned quarterly but the company that used to do it the guy retired. I do their windows so they offered it to me. Expectation isn't that it'll look like new just that the visible grease build up gets removed. I think I can at least get that done. I'll ask what the paint is though.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Cooking grease in restaurants is rough stuff. Good luck

Momma always says ahhh never mind

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I'll ask what type of paint they used. They repaint this ceiling every 5 years and then have it cleaned quarterly but the company that used to do it the guy retired. I do their windows so they offered it to me. Expectation isn't that it'll look like new just that the visible grease build up gets removed. I think I can at least get that done. I'll ask what the paint is though.
Ceilings buddy you are going to be filthy lol. How high up is it? Using scaffolds?

Reactions: MikeGaure

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
10'. Working on getting a scaffold and I guess they have something that was custom built to fit over the counter and bar stools. Curious to see that...
I have the mini warner scaffold they sell at lowes. Works ok. I can reach 10' but they dont roll so good. And not much room to walk. The Baker 6' would be better. They're around $200. But they cruise. You can walk them around without getting down. You can also buy a second to go 2 stories with outriggers. Comes in handy in foyers (if) you ever had to. But they span 6'L x roughly 2'w so they can go over things like you were saying. Also decent amount of room to put other things up there with you. It all breaks down so it can be packed out of the way.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I have the mini warner scaffold they sell at lowes. Works ok. I can reach 10' but they dont roll so good. And not much room to walk. The Baker 6' would be better. They're around $200. But they cruise. You can walk them around without getting down. You can also buy a second to go 2 stories with outriggers. Comes in handy in foyers (if) you ever had to. But they span 6'L x roughly 2'w so they can go over things like you were saying. Also decent amount of room to put other things up there with you. It all breaks down so it can be packed out of the way.
I had looked at that baker a little or at least one similar. I'm not sure I'll have a lot of use for it outside this one job so it's hard to justify buying one but then I think I'm expanding on the window cleaning side of the business this spring so maybe it could be useful there. I don't know. Oh heck, I need it to clean my gutters. There, now I have a good reason for it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I had looked at that baker a little or at least one similar. I'm not sure I'll have a lot of use for it outside this one job so it's hard to justify buying one but then I think I'm expanding on the window cleaning side of the business this spring so maybe it could be useful there. I don't know. Oh heck, I need it to clean my gutters. There, now I have a good reason for it
Lol i dont know if they're any good outdoors. I guess you can get screw legs for them to level them. I just use a ladder with leveling legs and spreader/stabilizer to get up there. Tie off a rope and walk the roof with leaf blower. Its fast. We paint foyers we use bakers sometimes or telescoping ladder because its easy to extend in tight places. I just duck tape 2x with foam across it. So i dont mark up the walls break through drywall between studs lol. But in commercial the baker is always brought in. It doubles as a cart and or barricade.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I had looked at that baker a little or at least one similar. I'm not sure I'll have a lot of use for it outside this one job so it's hard to justify buying one but then I think I'm expanding on the window cleaning side of the business this spring so maybe it could be useful there. I don't know. Oh heck, I need it to clean my gutters. There, now I have a good reason for it
Check crazy list. They always have them on there. Can sometimes find the 2 story set for under 200 with outriggers and safty bars.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I had looked at that baker a little or at least one similar. I'm not sure I'll have a lot of use for it outside this one job so it's hard to justify buying one but then I think I'm expanding on the window cleaning side of the business this spring so maybe it could be useful there. I don't know. Oh heck, I need it to clean my gutters. There, now I have a good reason for it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Traditional cleaning or wfp or both?

peterbreen

Jan 22, 2017
Real Name
Peter Breen
Baker staging, Back pack vacuum with brush head , worxs sprayer, ball cap,micro fiber window pads on pole, Power-Pack pre- spray PH6 Hardball chemical 40 volume peroxide Sallys. mix 50/50 pre test your in the ceiling cleaning Biz. 1 man sprays 1 man wipes