CDS Chem Pump Issue | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

CDS Chem Pump Issue

Black Bear

Apr 27, 2016
Real Name
Jeremy Ham
So my chemical pump was running perfect. Then a tech cleaned tile for a day with the dang rinse on. Yes 1000 psi. Now when it primes the meter hits the top and bounces like crazy. If I run a wand while it’s priming it does lower the level in the rinse tank. But when I go to turn it from prime to on the float sucks to the bottom forcefully and stays there and won’t meter at all. Opened the valve all types of different settings. And yes new diaphragm and disk. Help!

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Have you looked at the chemical pump check valves. I know you said it has a new diaphragm but was that before or after the cleaning. also if I remember correctly HM uses a inline check valve for the injection into the system it may be stuck open.

Black Bear

Apr 27, 2016
Real Name
Jeremy Ham
Have you looked at the chemical pump check valves. I know you said it has a new diaphragm but was that before or after the cleaning. also if I remember correctly HM uses a inline check valve for the injection into the system it may be stuck open.
Would the in-line check valve been in the pump like the other check valves? How will I know if a check valve is bad by inspecting?

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
So my chemical pump was running perfect. Then a tech cleaned tile for a day with the dang rinse on. Yes 1000 psi. Now when it primes the meter hits the top and bounces like crazy. If I run a wand while it’s priming it does lower the level in the rinse tank. But when I go to turn it from prime to on the float sucks to the bottom forcefully and stays there and won’t meter at all. Opened the valve all types of different settings. And yes new diaphragm and disk. Help!
When the system primes, the float inside the meter is supposed to "hit the top and bounce like crazy." That's how you know the system is primed.
If the float sticks to the bottom that means the check valves are faulty. 1000 psi should not be the cause to damage the check valves. As the check valves within the chemical pump are the same type of check valves inside the water pump. The only difference is the spring retainer. And the spring retainer on the chemical pump is actually better quality than the ones inside the water pump. If you changed the diaphram you should be good to go. I would check for leaks on the low pressure side of the chemical pump. maybe try to tighten some clamps.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
I wouldn't be hard on the employee because prolonged use of 1000 psi will damage the chemical pump diaphragm whether the solution is on or off. Just because the chemical selector is in the off position does not protect the chemical pump in any way!

Reactions: JDARNOLD

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Would the in-line check valve been in the pump like the other check valves? How will I know if a check valve is bad by inspecting?
It is separate from the pump. trace the hp hose from the chemical pump to the outlet side of the unit usually brass and about the diameter of a quarter. but also look at the diaphragm again.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
It is separate from the pump. trace the hp hose from the chemical pump to the outlet side of the unit usually brass and about the diameter of a quarter. but also look at the diaphragm again.
If you have the brass pump change to the stainless steel pump. Huge difference

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
If I knew that was it I would for sure. But I feel it’s not. It’s in good shape.
Unfortunately there was a major defect in 1000’s chemical feed pumps in our industry. The suppliers knew it and yet still pushed it on manufacturers. Then cleaners bought them. Which TM manufacturers know about it I do not know but I know about it.