Cat pump not holding pressure

Overly Cleaning Service

Oct 22, 2014
Ocala,FL
Real Name
Travis Overly
My Cat pump first started out with a problem of not holding water pressure above 500 psi. When you would turn it above 500psi the cat pump clutch would stop spinning. Once I lowered the water pressure back down the clutch would spin again.

When i was cleaning today i noticed the water to be pulsating a little bit which is a new thing. Half way through the job the pulsation stopped. I did not have a whole lot of water pressure at this point but i was able to finish. When I observed the Cat pump running it was at 200 psi and the pressure would not adjust up. The Cat pump clutch however was spinning and would turn on and off by switch like normal.

I was leaning toward the Cat pump clutch, but with it still spinning im not sure. The pulsing also was a little weird too. Never experienced it from this unit. The pump does not have a pulsation dampener and i guess is routed in a way that it doesnt need one. So im not sure where the 20 minutes of minor pulsation came from. But i believe it was pulsing before it lost water pressure.

Overly Cleaning Service

Oct 22, 2014
Ocala,FL
Real Name
Travis Overly
Cat pump does maintain about 200 psi with the water house connection off. Will not adjust up...will adjust down in psi though. When you press the wand trigger the water pressure drops to about 150psi and when you let go of the wand trigger it does back to 200psi. Clutch spinning as it should. Maybe uploader?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States

Overly Cleaning Service

Oct 22, 2014
Ocala,FL
Real Name
Travis Overly
The pump was down at a non adjustable 200psi before the descale. It will hold 700psi at least after descale and is adjustable again. I didn't turn it up past that. I have been a little gun shy to turn it up too much in fear that my clutch will stop spinning which I believe to be a separate issue. I'm just happy its operating normally again. I never really have a need to get above 5-600psi, even with tile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
The pump was down at a non adjustable 200psi before the descale. It will hold 700psi at least after descale and is adjustable again. I didn't turn it up past that. I have been a little gun shy to turn it up too much in fear that my clutch will stop spinning which I believe to be a separate issue. I'm just happy its operating normally again. I never really have a need to get above 5-600psi, even with tile.
how many filters did you have to clean out?

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
typically if you cannot adjust pressure the issue lies in the regulator. A busted spring or a worn out ball/stem.
If your clutch stops turning I would look into an electrical issue. The clutches are electro magnets.

Overly Cleaning Service

Oct 22, 2014
Ocala,FL
Real Name
Travis Overly
I have a U.S Paraplate 13020 regulator. It seems fine since the descale, but I'm sure it has some miles on it. There is a rebuild kit for $10with a spring, ball, and o rings. The new regulator is $160 from what i have seen. Is it too late for a rebuild kit? Anyone rebuilt one of these pressure regulators?