Cat pump low to no pressure

Waxmaster janitorial

Mar 20, 2016
Springfield, Oregon
waxmaster-janitorial.com
Real Name
Damion jones
Hello folks.

So for those of you who dont know I'm running a dino of a TM. Hydramaster Bobcat circa 1978.

I've gone through and changed and cleaned screens, removed and inspected every fitting, replaced busted pressure gauge, installed a new bypass valve, etc.

At first only pressure I was getting was garden hose pressure. very weak. Then I cleaned every fitting and screen, valve, and whatnot and it got 1% better if that. Then I took the pressure line from the cat pump to the gauge and put a quick connect on it and got a dramatic increase in pressure. Problem is though it was pulsating like it was pumping on 2 pistons.

So I then replaced the bypass/unloader valve. Now I'm barely able to achieve 100 psi at best.

Called the local "pressure pump shop" and they said they are two weeks out to even look at it. Let alone rebuild it.

I asked for a rebuild kit, and he said " what kit do you need?" I told his ass I needed a full rebuild kit. " Well we dont have a general rebuild kit, we order the kit for what you need, pistons, packing, etc. "

So I hung up.

Any ideas guys? Leaks a bit from the manifold too. Can I rebuild it without removing it? Kits? CAT 290 is what I have.

Really need it fixed good for a large commercial job I have coming up. That and I'm unable to do the little jobs too.

And dont tell me I should of bought an AMTEX, because I'm already kicking myself in the ass for not.lol

-Damion

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Hello folks.

So for those of you who dont know I'm running a dino of a TM. Hydramaster Bobcat circa 1978.

I've gone through and changed and cleaned screens, removed and inspected every fitting, replaced busted pressure gauge, installed a new bypass valve, etc.

At first only pressure I was getting was garden hose pressure. very weak. Then I cleaned every fitting and screen, valve, and whatnot and it got 1% better if that. Then I took the pressure line from the cat pump to the gauge and put a quick connect on it and got a dramatic increase in pressure. Problem is though it was pulsating like it was pumping on 2 pistons.

So I then replaced the bypass/unloader valve. Now I'm barely able to achieve 100 psi at best.

Called the local "pressure pump shop" and they said they are two weeks out to even look at it. Let alone rebuild it.

I asked for a rebuild kit, and he said " what kit do you need?" I told his ass I needed a full rebuild kit. " Well we dont have a general rebuild kit, we order the kit for what you need, pistons, packing, etc. "

So I hung up.

Any ideas guys? Leaks a bit from the manifold too. Can I rebuild it without removing it? Kits? CAT 290 is what I have.

Really need it fixed good for a large commercial job I have coming up. That and I'm unable to do the little jobs too.

And dont tell me I should of bought an AMTEX, because I'm already kicking myself in the ass for not.lol

-Damion
Just take apart the pump's manifold and make sure there's no crap in it... and reassemble. You don't need a rebuild kit to do that. Could just be there is crap in there holding the valves open. Also you can rotate the pump with the manifold off to be sure you didn't break a piston, which could cause the pulsation.

Waxmaster janitorial

Mar 20, 2016
Springfield, Oregon
waxmaster-janitorial.com
Real Name
Damion jones
Just take apart the pump's manifold and make sure there's no crap in it... and reassemble. You don't need a rebuild kit to do that. Could just be there is crap in there holding the valves open. Also you can rotate the pump with the manifold off to be sure you didn't break a piston, which could cause the pulsation.

COOL! Was not sure I could do that without damaging anything. I'm hoping it just gummed up with junk gunk rather than find out I have a cracked piston.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Hello folks.

So I hung up.

-Damion
The guy is correct about which kit contents..they vary by what's needed.
Be Glad you did Not buy an Amtex..you would then be fixing everything that Moves or shall I say MOVED! Pumps are easy to rebuild ..lots of step by step instructions on U Tube.

Reactions: Chris Wharry

Waxmaster janitorial

Mar 20, 2016
Springfield, Oregon
waxmaster-janitorial.com
Real Name
Damion jones
Be Glad you did Not buy an Amtex..you would then be fixing everything that Moves or shall I say MOVED! Pumps are easy to rebuild ..lots of step by step instructions on U Tube.

I've looked, there is little on the cat 290..

Is amtex really that bad? Look like nice units to me..

I guess looks can be deceiving ....

Waxmaster janitorial

Mar 20, 2016
Springfield, Oregon
waxmaster-janitorial.com
Real Name
Damion jones

I called a few days later to see if he had a cup kit in stock and he had no clue what I was talking about.

Sometimes living in a sister city blows. One shop that knows how to fix cat pumps

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Check valve?

No, life in Springfield. It's an old logging town. Heyy but we have 2 Jan San suppliers in Eugene. Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using TMF Forums mobile app
It's an inline valve to prevent back flow into your Pump..if you have one they can sometimes freeze up..look at you intake & out flow lines to & from pump. @wuznmee Could perhaps be more specific as I am 99% hackster!

Waxmaster janitorial

Mar 20, 2016
Springfield, Oregon
waxmaster-janitorial.com
Real Name
Damion jones
It's an inline valve to prevent back flow into your Pump..if you have one they can sometimes freeze up..look at you intake & out flow lines to & from pump. @wuznmee Could perhaps be more specific as I am 99% hackster!

I replaced the stock one that was welded to frame.... I used an unloader valve ( same thing) and some brass pipe and a few adapters and its on there! Little easier to get at to adjust pressure. Although I have no plans of going over 300 psi. Maybe for a spinner down the road. MAYBE.

My goal with this beast is once its up and going I'll be going after restaurants and other dirty commercial carpets. Plus its nice to have to take care of my janitorial cleaning accounts when they request it. But right now I'm all VCT baby! And sometimes strip and wax VAT. Whatever.

-Damion

Reactions: aloha one

Waxmaster janitorial

Mar 20, 2016
Springfield, Oregon
waxmaster-janitorial.com
Real Name
Damion jones
I'm NOT a fan of plumbing. Hence why I'm not a damn plumber lol
1.jpg

Waxmaster janitorial

Mar 20, 2016
Springfield, Oregon
waxmaster-janitorial.com
Real Name
Damion jones
UPDATE:

I took apart the cat pump and could not find anything really WRONG with it, other than missing washer....

Still not getting crap for pressure. Not sure if I'm missing any parts or not.

So I'm hoping ordering and installing the new cup kit works, if not I'm swapping it out with a craigslist special.

https://www.dultmeier.com/products/0.901.1452/1502

Attachments

• IMG_20160514_133432633.jpg
    IMG_20160514_133432633.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 176

Waxmaster janitorial

Mar 20, 2016
Springfield, Oregon
waxmaster-janitorial.com
Real Name
Damion jones
Bump

I removed pump and installed a prrm a lube seal kit and new piston kit.

No increase in pressure.

I even bypassed the inlet water pressure regulator thinking it was gummed up. Nothing improved.

I've even got a new unloader...

I'm lost... Even if the pump was on its last leg is should at least crank out 200 psi.

I'm getting maybe 50 psi

Super frustrating

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Take the line loose going to the high pressure side of the pump usually will be coming off the top side of the pump head. Point the line away from you, start the unit see if you have got pressure there if so you may have a line connected wrong on the pressure regulator. You could put a ball valve on the line to test the pressure just make sure NOT to close it all the way because that is the only pressure relief in the system now and the Guage most likely will not be working. So be careful but that will tell you if the pump is the problem. Then you can go from there.