goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Pelham Bay, Bronx New York
www.pelhambaycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
Troubleshooting a Pumptec 205 on another thread made me realize how important it is to be familiar with your porty pump system.

With having to fix and rebuild 205 pump and motor sets more times than I would have liked, I was pretty confident that any future issue I might have would be able to dealt with efficiently, which is a very good thing, because the first time for anyone is never fun.

I am realizing that in regards to my new machine with a 1XP cat pump, I will again be in the dark if a problem should arise.

These Cat pumps will likely continue to eat up more market share from the proven 205's.

They are still too new to have begun to show their first-to-likely-fail wear components, but as the units out there age, so it will begin and the troubleshooting will begin.

Anyone have to fook with one of these yet?

Capture cat pump 2.JPG

Capture cat pump open face.JPG

Capture cat pump internal.JPG

Reactions: Suction Junkie

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
They exist. These pumps are just as easy to work on as a pumptec, maybe easier. The design is superior IMO. It's Cat pump, they have always made solid pumps. Mfg's will be slow to convert due to price point.

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
I have a Cat 1xp150 pump 600 psi, at 1.5 gpm works awesome, very nicely made pump

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
They exist. These pumps are just as easy to work on as a pumptec, maybe easier. The design is superior IMO. It's Cat pump, they have always made solid pumps. Mfg's will be slow to convert due to price point.

I agree that the quality is there, but from a basic operator standpoint, my main interest is in what the first common failures will be, and what to be prepared for.

I am familiar enough with a 205's to likely figure out any problems, but in the dark with these Cat's, and anyone who has one should be concerned, because although they are quality pumps, all in service right now are new, and failures will become more common as time goes by and the units in the field start to log hours approaching or exceeding certain component lifespans.

The investigation begins at the rebuild kits.

What kind of links/info is out there relative to the rebuild kits?

One kit?...Two kits?

What components do they include?

What are the specific symptoms of a particular components failure in these pumps?

Last edited:

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
For over 3 decades all I have used were Cat and Pumptec pumps.

The Pumptec 207 is better than the 205. I think they quit making the 205.

I have a Cat pump (#290) that is 33 years old and still my daily pump (has over 23,000 hours on it). At 3.5 GPM it can supply 2 wands, each at 6 flow (total 12 flow), with not being able to tell if both wands are keyed at the same time. IOW there is no pressure drop when the second wand is keyed.

The 207 is very easy to re-build. I have it set up for chemical draw and self-priming. The Cat is also very easy to re-build.

That new small Cat pump looks like a winner though.

Reactions: Frank Fratto

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
you guys are stressing your sphincters again thinking too much about nothing

For over 3 decades all I have used were Cat and Pumptec pumps.

The Pumptec 207 is better than the 205. I think they quit making the 205.

I have a Cat pump (#290) that is 33 years old and still my daily pump (has over 23,000 hours on it). At 3.5 GPM it can supply 2 wands, each at 6 flow (total 12 flow), with not being able to tell if both wands are keyed at the same time. IOW there is no pressure drop when the second wand is keyed.

The 207 is very easy to re-build. I have it set up for chemical draw and self-priming. The Cat is also very easy to re-build.

That new small Cat pump looks like a winner though.

Yea, meant 207's, not 205's.

I have done enough pressure washing to be familiar with what pushing 3.5+gpm is like.

Not surprised it handles 2 wands like a champ.

Reactions: Bob Savage

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
View attachment 73739
View attachment 73743

View attachment 73740

View attachment 73741

Looks like Mytee is using the #6 cam.

These cams look solid and without bearings like the cams that drive the Pumptecs which eventually implode.

That's a very good thing.

Have you checked the actual flow through your system with your pump with different lengths of hose? Are you getting stated throughput with your machine?

On my CDS at 175' of live reel solution line I get slightly more with open flow than at pressure with a 7 flow wand using ¼" Neptune hose. However, with 50' of the same Neptune solution hose connected directly to the panel, I have a ¼ gallon more open flow per minute, the length of hose affects total flow and pressure at the tool.

I think these lab numbers list on all pumps are quoting perfect conditions and not taking into account if the pump is pressure fed, gravity fed, prefilters, length of hose, 90° fittings, larger size of post pump fittings to overcome friction loss, solution line filters, etc... That we see on the job.

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
no, i haven't tested the gpm

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
Have you checked the actual flow through your system with your pump with different lengths of hose? Are you getting stated throughput with your machine?

On my CDS at 175' of live reel solution line I get slightly more with open flow than at pressure with a 7 flow wand using ¼" Neptune hose. However, with 50' of the same Neptune solution hose connected directly to the panel, I have a ¼ gallon more open flow per minute, the length of hose affects total flow and pressure at the tool.

I think these lab numbers list on all pumps are quoting perfect conditions and not taking into account if the pump is pressure fed, gravity fed, prefilters, length of hose, 90° fittings, larger size of post pump fittings to overcome friction loss, solution line filters, etc... That we see on the job.

No, but I would only test a shorter run to get an idea of actual flow at that length.

I don't run long runs to where it would make a difference other than just curiosity.

I guess a little drop is to be expected at long runs since more water has to be displaced inside the hose.