Matt Strader

Feb 7, 2009
Jupiter, Fl
www.561carpetandtile.com
Real Name
Matthew Strader
Business Location
United States
I have a castex explorer 1500h portable. It is supposed to have about 220-250 psi. Right now I'm lucky if I get 50. I don't use it very much so maybe I am doing something wrong. I know it can reach that high cause I've used it at that pressure before. The gauge is broken so I can't read it. Any thoughts?

Batista230

Jan 22, 2009
UK
Real Name
JB
If your gage is broken how do you know your getting 50!
My simple advice to you is buy a new gage so you can see what your doing
My technical question is 'is the pressure pulsating at the wand'

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Something could be wrong with the pressure regulator. Did you recently take it apart or forget to put a part back in it? Or mybe there is blockage somewhere on the pressure side. Bad pressure line could be collapsing, clogged jets, etc...

Matt Strader

Feb 7, 2009
Jupiter, Fl
www.561carpetandtile.com
Real Name
Matthew Strader
Business Location
United States
Yes it does pulsate at the jets and the solution line vibrates too. I have not takin it apart. I did paid a guy $45 to tell me that I needed to use 12 gauge extension cords. I thought my machine was broken!! LOL.

I don't know if I'm getting 50psi. I was just saying that for the sake of the explanation. It could be 5 for all I know.

As far as what "IT MIGHT BE" I'm pretty good at figuring stuff out but when you use the proper names for any of the reasons. I'm lost.

I am looking for a gauge. Anyone know where I can get one?

There is a heater on it. It has a knob on the front that says, 'pre-heat' on one side. Then I'm supposed to flip it after it preheats. does this have anything to do with it?

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
When the line vibrates real bad its usually because of air trapped in the system. Look for a restriction somewhere on the inlet side or prime the pump.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Acid Rinse helps sometimes

I have a castex explorer 1500h portable. It is supposed to have about 220-250 psi. Right now I'm lucky if I get 50. I don't use it very much so maybe I am doing something wrong. I know it can reach that high cause I've used it at that pressure before. The gauge is broken so I can't read it. Any thoughts?
I've got the same machine w/o the heater. I've also used Castex for years. The pump setup in them is pretty simple. If you're using a powdered detergent in it especially, and many liquid detergents, you need to rinse it out before storing it away for any lenth of time. Even some liquid detergents can gum up the insides of the pump and lines. Sometimes I've used an acid Rinse like Matrix All Fiber Rinse in it to help get the detergent residue out. Mix some up at a heavier concentration like say 5 oz. to a gallon of very hot water, but only put a couple gallons in the machine. Open the pressure regulator all the way and let it run wide open for a while w/o hooking up a solution line. Just let it recirculate back to the clean water tank. The acid rinse will help remove the detergent residue in the machine. After that, close the regulator and run the stuff out of the tank. Follow with a clear hot water rinse of several gallons. If it is detergent build up you will notice increase in pump pressure, the vibration will stop, and it should start putting out a normal spray. My machine does not have the heater and that could very well be the reason you're experiencing the problem. The extreme heat will cause some detergents to clog up, especially at the line going directly out the front of the machine. In fact, I've seen it clog the quick connect on the front of the machine to the point where no water was coming out. Here is one more tip. If you are not using the machine for an extended period of time you can put 50/50 Antifreeze in the machine after you rinse it out. You only need 1 gallon or even less. This can be reused several times. Just enough to circulate through the machine. This will help protect the machines metal parts and the pump while you are not using it. Another thing you should check is to see how well the pump is recirculating the water back into the clean water tank when the pressure regulator is wide open it will circulate very strong, but when you close it and increase the outgoing pressure to the wand it won't recirculate as much. Make sure the strainer in the clean water tank is clear.If yours has the Hypro pump like mine you need a grease gun to grease it ever so often too. If your pump looks like the one in the attached picture it should have grease fittings that need greased about every 25 hours of operation. As to the broken gage I'm pretty sure Jon Don could get you one, however I would look around locally. Any high pressure gauge around the same size should work. It doesn't have to be that exact gauge. Those pumps are pretty durable and usually last a few years even under very heavy use, however if the suggestions I've given don't help you either need to replace it or rebuild your pump.

Attachments

Batista230

Jan 22, 2009
UK
Real Name
JB
Yes it does pulsate at the jets and the solution line vibrates too. I have not takin it apart. I did paid a guy $45 to tell me that I needed to use 12 gauge extension cords. I thought my machine was broken!! LOL.

I don't know if I'm getting 50psi. I was just saying that for the sake of the explanation. It could be 5 for all I know.

As far as what "IT MIGHT BE" I'm pretty good at figuring stuff out but when you use the proper names for any of the reasons. I'm lost.

I am looking for a gauge. Anyone know where I can get one?

There is a heater on it. It has a knob on the front that says, 'pre-heat' on one side. Then I'm supposed to flip it after it preheats. does this have anything to do with it?
If its pulsating pressure my guess is ever you have something blocking your solution line and you will need to check and clean all your solution lines and maybe you don’t have enough water in your tank
Or even worse your seals are warn in the pump
First thing I would do is try force feeding the pump with a garden hose taking the coupling off the end of the solution line so you are treating your pump and solution lines like a hose pipe that may force out any c**p in the line
Do you have any filter that you don’t know about that are there and need cleaning

Not sure about your heater though
I can get any number of gages with different PSI on for a tener including VAT and postage
But again they are all from the UK

Batista230

Jan 22, 2009
UK
Real Name
JB
When the line vibrates real bad its usually because of air trapped in the system. Look for a restriction somewhere on the inlet side or prime the pump.
Yes that could be true
Once you have force feed it with a hose pipe if there is water coming through then put your coupling back on the end of the solution line and force feed it again looking for any leeks

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
A little more info

You might think I'm off my rocker or something to suggest using the acid rinse in your portable to get detergent residues out, but I'm telling you it works and you will be shocked to see just how much residue will come out. You may need to run an entire tank of hot water through your lines after doing the rinse. Detergent residue will just keep on coming out for what seems like forever until the machine finally runs clean. The residue can be so bad that it will stop you from pumping out almost any solution or very little. It can completely clog the quick connect on the front of the machine and will line the insides of your solution lines as well. I have unclogged machines several times using this method that appeared to have a pump that needed repair. When I got all the residue out the machine performed like new again. I'm not saying this is the problem, but it definitely should be considered. It is far cheaper to do this than to repair or replace your pump.

Ara Klujian

Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Wandwizard, using an acid to rinse the system is not a crazy idea. In fact its recomended. Descaler is an acid. white vinegar is an acid. Its good advice.

Batista230

Jan 22, 2009
UK
Real Name
JB
Here try this

http://store.carpetcleanerdirect.com/pressure-gauges.html

I found the part I need on a different site for over $90. This was $15. Now I'm no math genius but.... Now I hope it fits.
Have seen it now
$15 is OK
Did you get a rear enter or a bottom entry gage
And those gages have no brackets on
How are you going to attach it to your machine?

Have you looked for any filters or force fed the pump with valve open and closed by any chance

Matt Strader

Feb 7, 2009
Jupiter, Fl
www.561carpetandtile.com
Real Name
Matthew Strader
Business Location
United States
I got a back entry gauge.
I pulled it out today. Filled it up. Stuck a bleeder hose and ran it till I got all the air out. Then, because the gauge was not working, apparently I had the knob turned all the way down. I felt stupid, but in my defense the pressure knob need to be screwed in like twice the amount my TM does. So to bring this thing up to 250 psi I need to turn the knob about 25 times. My Tm is about ten full rotations for 500 psi. So the difference was not a machine error but a tech error! Oops. Thanks for the help guys. I'm not good with these kinds of things and am really grateful for this forum so I don't have to pay someone to tell me I didn't need them in the first place.