Carpet wick back

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
I cleaned this carpet the other day and when I returned to pick up my fans I noticed the carpet wicked back something terrible. I cleaned with my rotovac 360xl and even post bonneted with encapuguard green. The carpet had been pretty neglected and rarely vacuumed. I think they may have used a rug doctor at one time. The house also smells like a wet dog. I'm thing and going back and relearning with encapuclean O2. But am also wondering how the best way to get rid of the dog smell? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm having trouble adding pictures. I will try from my computer later. @Scott W

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Dog hair and soil at the primary backing still in the carpet, definitely need to vacuum in all four directions prior to recleaning. Last resort would be my deodorizer of choice post cleaning to eliminate any chance of odor.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Oils in the carpet and or dander still in the carpet or just odor stuck in the room. Like on walls and in air ducts. Dry run a crb if you got one or just vac the living hell out of it. Boost up with your favorite solvent also osr will help. Pretty much have to treat this as urine all over as it does get down into the padding unfortunately. Definitely post bonnet it helps. I cleaned the crap out of one of our rentals. Odor was still pretty heavy. We said hell with it and ripped it up. Man the pad reeked of dog odor. Just a foul dog bo basically no piss. You could see on the backing where the dog liked to lay around. It was dark and oily. Btw any humidity present will activate this odor. Just like a smokers house. You can knock it out almost completely then when it rains it begins to smell.

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
Dog hair and soil at the primary backing still in the carpet, definitely need to vacuum in all four directions prior to recleaning. Last resort would be my deodorizer of choice post cleaning to eliminate any chance of odor.
Thanks Jim! We did vacuum the living daylights out of it but the sight tube in the Rotovac was still pulling filthy water.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I cleaned this carpet the other day and when I returned to pick up my fans I noticed the carpet wicked back something terrible. I cleaned with my rotovac 360xl and even post bonneted with encapuguard green. The carpet had been pretty neglected and rarely vacuumed. I think they may have used a rug doctor at one time. The house also smells like a wet dog. I'm thing and going back and relearning with encapuclean O2. But am also wondering how the best way to get rid of the dog smell? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm having trouble adding pictures. I will try from my computer later. @Scott W
Text me the pictures if you can’t get them to post and I’ll post them for you. 702-595-0488

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Here’s the pictures.

18FA469A-E35B-4164-A38F-25E12B0C2A45.jpeg
65F11839-552B-44C6-8F22-50A4342EF847.jpeg
846CE9E4-6D22-4102-BD78-BCA9EB907C41.jpeg
E4F4F905-38F8-483F-885D-CE08D8657190.jpeg

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Looks like urine wicking up from under the carpet. Go in and vacuum well. Put 24 ounces of acid rinse in your hydroforce sprayer and fill it with water. Spray the whole room with acid rinse then rinse with your wand. Do a double dry pass, turn on any ceiling fans and open the windows overnight. I bet that fixes the problem.

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
Looks like urine wicking up from under the carpet. Go in and vacuum well. Put 24 ounces of acid rinse in your hydroforce sprayer and fill it with water. Spray the whole room with acid rinse then rinse with your wand. Do a double dry pass, turn on any ceiling fans and open the windows overnight. I bet that fixes the problem.
Do you think I could use UPS from Interlink and it would get rid of the odor?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Do you think I could use UPS from Interlink and it would get rid of the odor?
Does it smell like urine or like wet dog hair?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
The wet dog smell usually goes away once 100% dry. Most likely there is still some moisture in there causing the odor. Open the windows for a day and the smell should go away.

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
The wet dog smell usually goes away once 100% dry. Most likely there is still some moisture in there causing the odor. Open the windows for a day and the smell should go away.
The wet dog didn't start till after I cleaned the carpet. I left fans and windows open for over 24 hrs. No much humidity here.

Jeff Marek

Aug 24, 2012
Real Name
Jeff Marek
Business Location
United States
A good fiber rinse in your chemical injection, lower PSI, slower rinse strokes, and a few more dry strokes and you can eliminate most wicking issues. (IM0)

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
A good fiber rinse in your chemical injection, lower PSI, slower rinse strokes, and a few more dry strokes and you can eliminate most wicking issues. (IM0)
Thanks Jeff, I dry stroked the shit out of this. I usually use flex ice for a rinse but my chemical injection acted up. But i thought the encapuguard green would do just as good if not better then using flex ice.

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Also CRB would be an option if hair is still present...

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
H202 bonnet clean and dri pod dry it .

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
^^^^ Perioxide

Pull apart the fibers and look down to the backing in the brown out areas and look carefully, it eliminates guess work on what to do. On many jobs I do this before I vacuum in traffic lanes, kitchen entrance and smelly problem areas, then I pull back the carpet if necessary because it tells the whole story. Taking the marine surveyor stance on jobs will set you apart if you get the full story first, give the customer expectations and possible outcome scenarios before they happen. If they choose the least expensive route, make sure that they know that you don't own the problem after giving good advice prior to cleaning. I give 2 quotes on pet treatments, the right way and a topical treatment. The topical treatment is a taillight warranty.

BigPapa

Apr 11, 2013
Real Name
Dan Ziegler
I know the money ( proffit ) won't be in this...but a dehumidifer placed would have helped this...You added a great deal of humidity to this space...( like we all do when we water extract )...air movement is one thing...but it just moves air around...Taking that humidity as quickly as possibe....Will help in this odor...I applaud your williness to make things better.