Carpet tile replacement

TylerH

Jan 27, 2018
Real Name
tyler horn
I Have not scraped any carpet tiles up or replaced them in my short career as a carpet cleaner. I was wondering what do you guys charge for something like that? The area is 6x8 or so and a couple random tiles throughout the restraunt any thought comments or help are always appreciated thank you guys in advance!
Tyler Horn

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Carpet tiles? Easy. I charge per hour. 6x8 will take maybe 30 minutes. But the adhesive is your enemy. Take a snail fan with you to dry glue. Its mostly a waiting game. To get old ones up youll just need pliers and something to hook a corner.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
And forgot its about 100 bucks for 4 gal. You might be able to find single gallons of R6300 pressure sensitive. It definitely wont take 4 gallons. You apply by paint roller 1/2 nap or better. And use junk roller frame so you can trash it when done.
Just looked home depot about 38 bucks single gal. But might be special order.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Common tools needed other tgen applicator. carpet knife, tape measure, framing square, pliers, hook knife, seam tractor/roller possibly. If your patient and wait till glue goes clear. Tiles will stick right down effortlessly.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
This was where a fork lift hit the wall bowing it outward. Tiles are pretty beat in this area so matching was a pain.
You can see glue is milky here. When its see through its ready.
20190211_214351.jpg
20190211_214453.jpg

TylerH

Jan 27, 2018
Real Name
tyler horn
Awesome thank you so much for the response and the pictures they are much appreciated! Going to go out tonight and take care of this job so we shall see what happens. I bought Henry 650r says it was for commercial carpet tiles??

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I never used it. Try it out. You want to roll it on thin. But you will or should notice ripples or a smear look to the glue. I found vinyl and rubber back grips better to that. Its why i use thick nap rollers. Just remember dry time. If you put tiles in wet. They slide around causing you headaches. Plus it takes forever to dry. Set your fan up and start rolling away from it. Hopefully by the time your done rolling it will be drying where you first started. That way you can start throwing them in. Others wise the old saying "watching paint dry" becomes a boring reality lol.

TylerH

Jan 27, 2018
Real Name
tyler horn
Thank you for the information I’ll post picks tonight when I get over there glad you mentioned the roller I was going to bring a trowel with ridges to lay down glue.

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Thank you for the information I’ll post picks tonight when I get over there glad you mentioned the roller I was going to bring a trowel with ridges to lay down glue.
Pail should have application instructions for vinyl and carpet tiles.

Seen here
Screenshot_20190211-230126_Drive.jpg

TylerH

Jan 27, 2018
Real Name
tyler horn
Most definitely putting lipstick on a pig tried to talk them into re carpeting sections at a time since restaurant is broken up in to 3 carpeted areas but no luck... right now hope fully the owners will decide to start replacing after seeing the difference. I used to clean this job back when I worked for my previous employer but bought the contract when I started my own business. This carpet has been here for at least 7 years..

Reactions: keep it clean

TylerH

Jan 27, 2018
Real Name
tyler horn
Yes the last picture drunk patron walked in to the back past the barricade of barstools to walk on my fresh glue while it was drying... have to go back and clean tonight luckily.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Yes the last picture drunk patron walked in to the back past the barricade of barstools to walk on my fresh glue while it was drying... have to go back and clean tonight luckily.
Pog takes it off pretty fast. Its still new hot water may even move it.

Lol every time i lay glue down some one steps in it. We even used one a scaffold to barracade a door. Locked the wheels up solid. These bastards went and got help and forced the doors open pushing scaffold sideways. Only to find out they had to cross an ocean of glue. All you can do is keep your head on a swivel and yell.
20190213_222511.jpg

TylerH

Jan 27, 2018
Real Name
tyler horn
Yes drunk patron got past my barstool barricade and walked through my glue! I have to go clean there tonight any ways so I should be able to remove it. The removal and install part of it was not actually that bad. Took about three hours total to do the 3 areas once I got comfortable with what I was doing I made pretty good time. Thank you for your help and information I really do appreciate it!!

TylerH

Jan 27, 2018
Real Name
tyler horn
Pog takes it off pretty fast. Its still new hot water may even move it.

Lol every time i lay glue down some one steps in it. We even used one a scaffold to barracade a door. Locked the wheels up solid. These bastards went and got help and forced the doors open pushing scaffold sideways. Only to find out they had to cross an ocean of glue. All you can do is keep your head on a swivel and yell.View attachment 83008

That’s horrible people are ignorant. But a good laugh picturing a group of guys pushing on a door like hey this usually isn’t locked!! It’s up to us to open it for every one!!!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Yes drunk patron got past my barstool barricade and walked through my glue! I have to go clean there tonight any ways so I should be able to remove it. The removal and install part of it was not actually that bad. Took about three hours total to do the 3 areas once I got comfortable with what I was doing I made pretty good time. Thank you for your help and information I really do appreciate it!!
No problem. Carpet tiles are fairly easy to work with. When working with old ones sometimes you have to trim or add as they dont quite fit the same as the old did. But they are more forgiving then broadloom carpet. They dont fray hardly at all.

If worse case to get glue up. You can cut a small square of that same carpet. Use a dab of paint thinner on it to wipe old glue. Then use a dry piece to scrub with. The paint thinner breakes tge bond with the carpet and glue should just ball up like a booger. Thinner will evaporate. Dont take much at all. Just a dab on scrap and one swipe is enough.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Latest posts