keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Yes, those are the ones I have always used.

Are you guys talking about utility blades which are pointed?
Nah there's another blade it's called square edge. On those the corners aren't rounded off. I have a hard time cutting up against base with those.
29f2ca604ac89c6cf751a2654a41aaaa.jpg
b052a4196226663ca24cb6b18a745296.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Yes you'll be bleeding long time before realizing it. Lol

I bought some nice ones for construction workers.

Last week had to use tissue and tape haha

My son is a tin knocker and sometimes when he cuts himself he just breaks out the crazy glue and seals his cut with that. I told him he's an idiot. Tough SOB he is.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Nah there's another blade it's called square edge. On those the corners aren't rounded off. I have a hard time cutting up against base with those.
29f2ca604ac89c6cf751a2654a41aaaa.jpg
b052a4196226663ca24cb6b18a745296.jpg

I used both rounded and square. I too prefer the rounded blades.

I have a story to tell about how I cut my arm with a carpet knife.....9 stitches.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I used both rounded and square. I too prefer the rounded blades.

I have a story to tell about how I cut my arm with a carpet knife.....9 stitches.
Those blades are no joke. Not at all. Brand new the only way you know you've been cut. Is by the oil burning or your hand feels wet. That's the uh oh moment. "Quick I need electrical tape!" lol.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
My son is a tin knocker and sometimes when he cuts himself he just breaks out the crazy glue and seals his cut with that. I told him he's an idiot. Tough SOB he is.

Dr's use crazy glue all the time

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Guess I need a few more tools. For now was just starting out with some stretching, I see it almost every unit we clean.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TMF Forums mobile app

TRUST me when I tell you that you are going to need to know how to repair and re-seam split seams and you'll need to know how to do it BEFORE you start stretching carpets. Here's why...........

You're kicking your customers carpet...la de da de da.....all is going well and you move the kicker, get your leg up ready to kick again and WHAM-O! You hear it....or feel it. And eventually see it. A split seam. You did it. NOW WHAT? You're going to panic is what you're going to do. That is unless you know how to fix it.

Get educated first. You won't regret it.

Reactions: Common janitor

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Those blades are no joke. Not at all. Brand new the only way you know you've been cut. Is by the oil burning or your hand feels wet. That's the uh oh moment. "Quick I need electrical tape!" lol.

I always had cotton towels with me when I installed/re-stretched for that very reason.

Reactions: Common janitor

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I'll use piece of carpet or pad to get me to the van lol

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I had a customer talking sht on the installer who originally did his carpets. Was like 8 year old rug. He said guy cut his hand and didn't clean it up. Got it all up the wall on the stairs and on the carpet. Lol I was installing the steps and the blood was still all over the wall. Wtf?! Guess homeowner wouldn't clean it up either. Bet it's still there now lol.

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
Weird. Never seen those square carpet blades in all of my 19 years of installing.

I have had numerous stitches/wounds because of carpet utility blades. The worst was cutting thru my thumb, ligaments, tendons and nerves on one hand. My thumb was completely dead and I couldn't bend it. Needed major surgery.

So yes, be careful. Never get in a rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: keep it clean

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Smart guy actually !! Did it for years in a glass factory . Still carry Band Aids in my wallet !! Worked with many "tin knockers" and all were masters at their craft . Saved the company untold money because of their knowledge !! Of course , NOW I use the "store bought " New Skin because "wifey the nurse " gets all bent out of shape at some of the things I do !! Should have seen the looks I got after drilling holes in a smashed finger nail with a cordless drill at the kitchen table !! LOL !! Thought the poor girl was going to faint !!
BTW , that New Skin contains an antibiotic , smells like nail polish and burns like HELL !! JMHO .
All the Best, Ed

Reactions: OldCarpetVet