Carpet sales decline - Whose to blame? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet sales decline - Whose to blame?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
sales have been declining because of alot of things but mostly inexperienced marketing !!! undercuting on facebook and giving compition info on prices. canada has seen fb groups prices and scams rise through the roof. i used to be able to charge 50 a room up to 100 now im doing a full house under $150 crazy! 4 rooms hallways stairs even stains. ive stopped trying to compete on groups for free for this reason alone. plus the trend now is customers think where all scum bags so want the cheapest price possible. and there very very rude. ive had people off facebook screw me on emt (email money transfer) so many times its not funny. ive almost gone out of business twice because of it.and in the winter months its dead so i had to take on second job just to survive. i used a portable thank god cause if i had to pay for truck mount i would be in debt up to my eyeballs right now... 4 5 years ago no one was carpet cleaning here now everyone side hustle is home cleaning and carpet duct cleaning. we own a family cleaning business and my mother runs rhe home cleaning business and she has see clients drop off because of the economy crashing. used to charge 30hr now she charges 20. all thanks to fb. insurance bonded certified it dont mean nothing to lowest price. theres guys out here doing $20 a room just to get the job which take 2-4 hrs easy. so $80 +plus gas + chemical + plus labour + plus over head? and stains are free to? how am i suposed to compete? customers are so ignorant it doesnt matter what you say how nice you are all the bs everyone tells you. one mistake and everyone blasts you on a review. had a perfext google score 5 out 5 on search result. one day -50 on sunday some dick head calls me the night before complaining about backed up sink needs me to come like now! it 9pm i say i can come tommorow given the weather. he gives me the landlord to call. i call the landlord makr the aplintment wake up 7am next morning van wont start frozen solid and battery dead! i call the landlord explain cant make it do to the weather. the place is 45min out of the city in total good hr drive landlord doesnt inform the tennat of the cancelation. tenat gets on google writes a 1 star review. ruines my perfect score. i called the guy to explain tried to get him to change. tells me to go fudge myself and hopes i die and go to hell where i belong? wow! moral of the story reviews and customers are such bs when it comes to being nice. over 4 years in the game and had like 2 good reviews despite asking people to give good ones after ive done an amazing good. pic to prove it. but when there upset the first thing they wanna do is blast you behind a dam keyboard. its disrespectful and unfair. why are carpet cleaning sales down? becuase no one cares how hard it is to keep your cool when your pulling out your hair every ten mintutes chasing a hope and dream trying feed yourself let alone your kids and family. and that the truth somone had to say it.... and dont get it twisted where not the only industry struggling right now. it amazds me how we let this get so bad everyone greedy and no one want to work to gether to win. simple!
wow, I dont know where to begin. Letting others determine how much you charge? Blaming Facebook? Sorry, all I see is blame shifting.

A company well managed will never let an outside source determine pricing. There will always be a lower priced service company. If you want to charge higher prices, then market to the ones that will pay the higher prices and offer premuim services.

If Joe Blow is charging $20 per room and Im charging .50 sq.ft. we are obviously cleaning for a different type of client. My goal has always be to make my service different than any other (see Joe Polish) Evidently it has panned out because other than just getting a website up late last year, I have spent just about ZERO on advertising, have an answering machine take calls and (until just recently) have not sent out reminder cards and have been blessed to stay busy pretty much all year round. Usually booked two weeks in advance (not February but thats ok) and am in the top three in the area as far as price.

Think of it this way, if I hired a Business Manager and they said they did not meet their goal and I asked why and they said it was because of Facebook do you really think I would not fire them ON THE SPOT?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Baited n hooked
Hey, at my age, I'll take all the compliments I can get, lol. Everything is now a few inches south of where it started out, and I keep coloring my grey in the hopes that it'll prevent the morning aches and pains. Trust me, a skintight bodysuit that would prevent joint-popping and would "perk things back up a bit" would be GREAT.

Please, more bodysuits! MORE BODYSUITS!!!

• Haha
Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Hey, at my age, I'll take all the compliments I can get, lol. Everything is now a few inches south of where it started out, and I keep coloring my grey in the hopes that it'll prevent the morning aches and pains. Trust me, a skintight bodysuit that would prevent joint-popping and would "perk things back up a bit" would be GREAT.

Please, more bodysuits! MORE BODYSUITS!!!
O boy what did I start! TMI !

Haha

MAGA

make Amy great again :ROFLMAO:

Chris K

Jan 8, 2017
Springfield, Ohio
Real Name
Chris Kelley
Whoever mentioned high-priced carpet cleaning being an element is correct, IMO.

If the average carpet owner could afford to get their carpet properly cleaned twice per year, they would likely be much happier.

But, many owner/operators have this feeling they deserve to make more than plumbers, electricians, etc.

I'm in that boat... spoiled, but I'm slowly changing my business model to a more value-added service.

Turning away middle-class customers because they can't pay $50+ per room seems silly to me.

Might be able to get away with it now, but as carpet continues to decline, you will see cleaning prices decline.

I'm competing with a multi-truck service who does $20-$40 (max) per room and their customers are very happy.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
If you're an owner. Making 50,000 a year as take home pay should be very achievable within 12 months.

If you want a multi truck operation and make six figures, you gotta put in the work and understand every element of business, not just cleaning. That's where many fail.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
*I'm competing with a multi-truck service who does $20-$40 (max) per room and their customers are very happy.*

There you go. So worried about your competition.

I had a customer that called and said that their landlord told them they needed to call me to clean the carpet after they moved out (I dont normally do rentals but this landlord is a builder with some very high end duplexes) When I got there all he could talk about was Stanley Steemer. He followed me around like a pet but I was friendly and went about my routine. When I pulled out the Brush Pro he wanted to know what it was (hes never seen SS use one)

By the time I was done all he wanted to know was if I knew a cleaner in the town he was moving to that cleaned like I did.

So this guy was happy with SS until he saw my workmanship.

I dont worry about what anyone else does or charges.

Chris K

Jan 8, 2017
Springfield, Ohio
Real Name
Chris Kelley
*I'm competing with a multi-truck service who does $20-$40 (max) per room and their customers are very happy.*

There you go. So worried about your competition.

I had a customer that called and said that their landlord told them they needed to call me to clean the carpet after they moved out (I dont normally do rentals but this landlord is a builder with some very high end duplexes) When I got there all he could talk about was Stanley Steemer. He followed me around like a pet but I was friendly and went about my routine. When I pulled out the Brush Pro he wanted to know what it was (hes never seen SS use one)

By the time I was done all he wanted to know was if I knew a cleaner in the town he was moving to that cleaned like I did.

So this guy was happy with SS until he saw my workmanship.

I dont worry about what anyone else does or charges.
Who said I was worried?

Only making a point that there might be a day when some people should consider their pricing if they want more business.

Only a bad business would not look at competition pricing...

Gets on my nerves when I read stuff like that...

I guarantee if I had one truck, and I stayed somewhat competitive on price, I'd pull more revenue than the carpet "craftsman" who doesn't care about price and has a more niche clientele.

Now, if we are talking about an operator with decades of clientele and rarely has to market new business, then that's different, but most people reading this post probably don't fall into that category, so your information may harm them.

Last edited:

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I'm not sure you could "guarantee" you'd make more money at that pricing. If I have books full of upper class clients willing to pay $50+ per room because they want an integral, trustworthy, clean carpet cleaner in their homes...they tell their friends.

Next thing you know, your price per sq ft has gone up, marketing has gone down, you do 1-2 big jobs per day as opposed to 3-5 little jobs so you save on expenses etc.

Reactions: mrotto

Chris K

Jan 8, 2017
Springfield, Ohio
Real Name
Chris Kelley
$50 per room isn't out of control pricing.

I'm only saying we are doing a disservice to new people by telling them to ignore what the competition is doing, when building their new business.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I think it's ok to be aware of the competition but dont get fixated on them.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
OMG where in my post did I say ignore?