Carpet sales decline - Whose to blame? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet sales decline - Whose to blame?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I won't say a word. All I'll do is point out what someone else uses in their signature:

"Those pointing fingers are the always the worst offenders"
Yes what you say I believe is often times true. Cant be used as an absolute though,.

Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I won't say a word. All I'll do is point out what someone else uses in their signature:

"Those pointing fingers are the always the worst offenders"
I’m a 100% transparent. The other organizations are not even 10%.

IluvCleanForums

Feb 17, 2020
Real Name
Ian Riggins
I'm new to this whole forum thing, but not new to the Carpet/Rug cleaning. All I've got to say is that I'm sold! This one guy is like the Alex Jones of carpet cleaning! Truly entertaining!...I apologize if i offend thats not my intent but this does make the carpet/rug biz a little more interesting!....I know after i say that no one really cares about my input but in MY opinion this is all a fad.....just like 10 years ago in my area we couldn't give away Oushak rugs but now they go for 10's of thousands of dollars!...I call it the "Fixer upper" effect. Ever since the show of the same name became popular, alot of people (especially in the south) have really wanted the southern farm house look w/ modern features. Meaning lots of whites, greys and muted blue rugs and furniture and want it to go on top of hardwood floors...Luckily for us they have retired their hit show but are still making a killing of their home furnishings...Just an opinion from just a guy, in one area....

IluvCleanForums

Feb 17, 2020
Real Name
Ian Riggins
*chokes on coffee*

As God is my witness, I've no idea how to take that.
Sorry i should have responded to mama fen this way....Im new!...but i have been on this forum all day and i do find it informative (most of it, not a fan of the political posts...just the right & left attacking each other) and in some cases very entertaining. And again i apologize for not reponding the proper way.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Well he does make the whole carpet industry seem like one big conspiracy....lol
Relax newbie. Stick around. It would be foolish to think that "politics" do not exist in our industry. ;)

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Sorry i should have responded to mama fen this way....Im new!...but i have been on this forum all day and i do find it informative (most of it, not a fan of the political posts...just the right & left attacking each other) and in some cases very entertaining. And again i apologize for not reponding the proper way.
Lol, no apologies needed, dear, it just threw me. Made me laugh so hard coffee came out of my nose.

Reactions: IluvCleanForums

IluvCleanForums

Feb 17, 2020
Real Name
Ian Riggins
Relax newbie. Stick around. It would be foolish to think that "politics" do not exist in our industry. ;)
No im not that naive....but yes i will stick around because there is some really great info on here....and who knows maybe i can even add a little to it.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
No im not that naive....but yes i will stick around because this is some really great info on here....and who know maybe i can even add a little to it.
Not calling you completely "green" just saying owning TMF, FB channels, participating/presenting industry trade shows, an industry mag, industry online training and Youtube channel I have my pulse on the industry. I see the back stories, green handshakes, agendas, infighting and outright corruption. Sometimes I wish I didn't see it all over the last 4 decades as "ignorance can be bliss" and "with knowledge comes vexation". Too late now now, I'm woke. (y)

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Every industry is the same Rob. It's the human condition.

Majority of us know it be true as well but what can we do ? Hell my little business I just opened in August is already taking hits from competitors booking fake jobs, anonymous threatening calls, and last week our Google was reported permanently closed.

And it's not like we've made any amount of money that affected anyones business. Humans just suck, period.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Every industry is the same Rob. It's the human condition.

Majority of us know it be true as well but what can we do ? Hell my little business I just opened in August is already taking hits from competitors booking fake jobs, anonymous threatening calls, and last week our Google was reported permanently closed.

And it's not like we've made any amount of money that affected anyones business. Humans just suck, period.
Sad, but true. I’ve had all above and much worse. Still do, from competing forums and even from members. My point is, a short expose’ would help newbies avoid or see through the agendas and not get ripped off. I wish someone would have educated me back in the 80’s. Instead I had to learn over decades.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Sad, but true. I’ve had all above and much worse. Still do, from competing forums and even from members. My point is, a short expose’ would help newbies avoid or see through the agendas and not get ripped off. I wish someone would have educated me back in the 80’s. Instead I had to learn over decades.
I'd like to think there are some of us out there who still keep an eye out for "the little guy", and who still treat members of the cleaning community with love and respect. And maybe, just maybe, not all of us who do so wear TMF logo'd shirts...?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I'd like to think there are some of us out there who still keep an eye out for "the little guy", and who still treat members of the cleaning community with love and respect. And maybe, just maybe, not all of us who do so wear TMF logo'd shirts...?
When I think of you...

• Love
Reactions: Mama Fen

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
For what it's worth from 30 years cleaning flooring, the sales decline is a result of years of a conglomeration of problems with the flooring industry as a whole. In no particular order
1- carpet made today doesn't stay new long. Wears badly and is made for profit. Meant to be replaced 5 to 7 years. No quality even in the higher priced fiber. Very few quality nylon carpets offered. Carpet being sold as something it is not. Warranty means nothing. Consumers weigh that towards their next flooring choice with an attempt to choose something easy to take care of and trouble free.
2- Installation problems of carpeting
3- carpet cleaning being expensive and not delivering acceptable results
4- fads create trends and thus is prone to repeating itself again in 5 to 10 yrs.
We find people want carpets but not the problems associated with it. Them having it cleaned is no issue until the cleaning wasn't a fair value for amount paid and lack of results delivered.
When 2 yr old carpet is replaced cause it looks terrible another flooring type is going back down.

KINGSMOKE

Jul 16, 2018
Real Name
KYLE WALKER
sales have been declining because of alot of things but mostly inexperienced marketing !!! undercuting on facebook and giving compition info on prices. canada has seen fb groups prices and scams rise through the roof. i used to be able to charge 50 a room up to 100 now im doing a full house under $150 crazy! 4 rooms hallways stairs even stains. ive stopped trying to compete on groups for free for this reason alone. plus the trend now is customers think where all scum bags so want the cheapest price possible. and there very very rude. ive had people off facebook screw me on emt (email money transfer) so many times its not funny. ive almost gone out of business twice because of it.and in the winter months its dead so i had to take on second job just to survive. i used a portable thank god cause if i had to pay for truck mount i would be in debt up to my eyeballs right now... 4 5 years ago no one was carpet cleaning here now everyone side hustle is home cleaning and carpet duct cleaning. we own a family cleaning business and my mother runs rhe home cleaning business and she has see clients drop off because of the economy crashing. used to charge 30hr now she charges 20. all thanks to fb. insurance bonded certified it dont mean nothing to lowest price. theres guys out here doing $20 a room just to get the job which take 2-4 hrs easy. so $80 +plus gas + chemical + plus labour + plus over head? and stains are free to? how am i suposed to compete? customers are so ignorant it doesnt matter what you say how nice you are all the bs everyone tells you. one mistake and everyone blasts you on a review. had a perfext google score 5 out 5 on search result. one day -50 on sunday some dick head calls me the night before complaining about backed up sink needs me to come like now! it 9pm i say i can come tommorow given the weather. he gives me the landlord to call. i call the landlord makr the aplintment wake up 7am next morning van wont start frozen solid and battery dead! i call the landlord explain cant make it do to the weather. the place is 45min out of the city in total good hr drive landlord doesnt inform the tennat of the cancelation. tenat gets on google writes a 1 star review. ruines my perfect score. i called the guy to explain tried to get him to change. tells me to go fudge myself and hopes i die and go to hell where i belong? wow! moral of the story reviews and customers are such bs when it comes to being nice. over 4 years in the game and had like 2 good reviews despite asking people to give good ones after ive done an amazing good. pic to prove it. but when there upset the first thing they wanna do is blast you behind a dam keyboard. its disrespectful and unfair. why are carpet cleaning sales down? becuase no one cares how hard it is to keep your cool when your pulling out your hair every ten mintutes chasing a hope and dream trying feed yourself let alone your kids and family. and that the truth somone had to say it.... and dont get it twisted where not the only industry struggling right now. it amazds me how we let this get so bad everyone greedy and no one want to work to gether to win. simple!

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Should a married man be thinking of a married woman in costume??

Just saying :whistle:
Ouch. It’s just a cute reference to her knowledge and ability to help so many here.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeGaure