Carpet sales decline - Whose to blame? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet sales decline - Whose to blame?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I may be the best shot yet you disparage me while protecting those who don’t protect you?
Im not protecting them in any way, shape or form. Evidently the people that you slam dont read your forum, otherwise they would be responding Im sure. Someday you will step on someones toes and end up in a lawsuit.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Most homes being built these days are cookie cutter tract developments... D R Horton etc

They truck the walls in and slap these homes together in a week.. people nowadays treat them like a car, live in it for 5 years or so then sell it.

The carpet mostly being installed is cheap crap just made to cover the plywood so they can sell a complete looking house. People experience this carpet then never want carpet again, many don't even want to invest any money in maintaining it.
True 'dat on the homes. When I lived in PHX for 12 years homes go up fast and quality didn't really seem to be a focus.

Shame on the carpets. I am starting to see bunch of polyesters for the crap they are. The traffic lanes get ruined with crushing and matting.

Reactions: barefoot

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
well Im a bit shocked at that statement.

First, Im not an insider of this industry so I would like some background on each of these as to why you would say such things:

IICRC : An organization designed to set standards within the industry. Yes, they had problems and are far from perfect, but did you see anyone else step up to the plate and do what they did? It was never their intention to alert or educate the public that I am aware of

Prochem/Chemspec: Name any carpet equipment/supply manufacturer where their responsibility is to alert or educate the public. Is it Jon Dons fault too?

ICS/Cleanfax: Industry magazines with articles designed for.... the industry. Why would they be responsible to alert or educate the pubic?

Howard Partridge/Joe Polish: Vendors that sell/sold ways to improve ones business. While I have heard many bad things about each, I have heard many good things about them too. Ive never purchased any Joe Polish materials or attended a Joe Polish event but I still implement one of his phrases in my business. Why would they be responsible to alert or educate the public?

Do each of them make a profit? I hope so, that is what America is all about. I hope you make a profit on your business too! But you wouldnt appreciate it if someone said that you milked millions out of us and are a terrible steward to our industry, would you?

Sorry, I dont get it.
My thoughts as well. I dont see a connection or know enough to make one.

There is a Howard Partridge FREE course in your store also...

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Im not protecting them in any way, shape or form. Evidently the people that you slam dont read your forum, otherwise they would be responding Im sure. Someday you will step on someones toes and end up in a lawsuit.
Everyone is entitled to an “opinion” that’s why it’s called America. I’m not calling anyone evil just saying could each one have done some more as “stewards”? That’s a fair question.

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
I'll look at the real pupetiers, the big banksters through the butterfly effect. They created the cheap and new mentality, just buy another cheap one" vs the old school "buy once, buy for life." I agree of course they made warranties that's are impossible to use and carpet they know would appeal to the sheeple, wow it's so cheap let's just buy new carpet every couple of years.
Of course the fad thing has something to do with it. I can see pattern cool carpets being the thing that brings em back, just carpet mrs west newest estate with some 80s glam pallet pattern and it will come back. But .. who controls the fads?

I know the ex CEO of rug dr. We have had some very interesting conversations. It's a typical big corporate handshake of a business. It's not what ya know but who ya know, now sign this saying were the best.

Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I'll look at the real pupetiers, the big banksters through the butterfly effect. They created the cheap and new mentality, just buy another cheap one" vs the old school "buy once, buy for life." I agree of course they made warranties that's are impossible to use and carpet they know would appeal to the sheeple, wow it's so cheap let's just buy new carpet every couple of years.
Of course the fad thing has something to do with it. I can see pattern cool carpets being the thing that brings em back, just carpet mrs west newest estate with some 80s glam pallet pattern and it will come back. But .. who controls the fads?

I know the ex CEO of rug dr. We have had some very interesting conversations. It's a typical big corporate handshake of a business. It's not what ya know but who ya know, now sign this saying were the best.
Rug dr definitely found a niche and absolutely capitalized on it! I don’t fault them for it, they absolutely ran with it and some people really like using their machines and products.

While jack In the box can’t compete on quality with a great steak house they still do wonderfully well!

Regardless of trends as long as we’re willing to be creative and adjust to those trends there’s still plenty of slices in that pie. Imo

Thankfully my market is always years behind trends so that helps!

Reactions: keep it clean

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
This is not true here in the north, new homes are always have carpets upstairs and people choose berber carpets for their basements, this is the norm here.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
This is not true here in the north, new homes are always have carpets upstairs and people choose berber carpets for their basements, this is the norm here.
Its probably not too far off if I were to say that too..

Reactions: Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Its probably not too far off if I were to say that too..
Today I had a call and she had 4 area rugs, she wanted me to come in and clean them inside her house and the reason was that if we took them to the shop the house will get cold lol.

Northern US and Canada the majority of the homes will always have carpets. Carpets not only keeps the inside of a home warm but also they are great sound dampening less echo inside.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
They've been switching to frieze in basements and great rooms. I put in maybe 2 berbers last year. And tons of the flecked random pile. They really like that. They have the comfort of soft pile but the ability to hide dirt like the berbers.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
They've been switching to frieze in basements and great rooms. I put in maybe 2 berbers last year. And tons of the flecked random pile. They really like that. They have the comfort of soft pile but the ability to hide dirt like the berbers.
Cool, do you live up north where the cold is?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Cool, do you live up north where the cold is?
Pa. coldish but aint bad. Some are putting lvp in basements but most are carpet. They want it warm and they want the basement to have the bedroom feel. Plus some prefer it for sound with their movie theater and surround sound setups.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Ok @rob allen you got me. I'm the reason carpet sales have declined. I do such a great job people are holding on to their carpets for years longer than they should. Really sorry about that. :) Well, at least I've declined some sales in my area anyway. (y)

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Pa. coldish but aint bad. Some are putting lvp in basements but most are carpet. They want it warm and they want the basement to have the bedroom feel. Plus some prefer it for sound with their movie theater and surround sound setups.
We are having the coldest day of the this year feels like -30 celsius and this morning as I am putting my equipment in my van my buggers are freezing lol. I can't imagine northern Canada and USA. Few years ago we had record breaking -40.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
We are having the coldest day of the this year feels like -30 celsius and this morning as I am putting my equipment in my van my buggers are freezing lol. I can't imagine northern Canada and USA. Few years ago we had record breaking -40.
Good for you you have a job you are doing something right!!

cold here today too it’s 15 degrees. Been mild

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Good for you you have a job you are doing something right!!

cold here today too it’s 15 degrees. Been mild
Busy just enough to pay bills. A lot of people doesn't want to open their doors to any service during winter months, can't do nothing about this.

barefoot

Nov 9, 2009
Denver, CO
Real Name
dave sigler
Business Location
United States
I will tell you when carpet turned into junk, just one word.

StainMaster CARPET!

That stuff would turn 'nappy' in a heartbeat. Then we, the cleaner, got blamed for it not coming squeaky clean as far as it's appearance! It would wear badly in the traffic lanes. Oh, and you were required to be ever so careful in cleaning it and not use anything with a hint of a higher pH than 9. ...lol

I occasionally clean some of that shag carpet from the 70's (gold, red blue), and it still comes out looking almost like new, even in the traffic lanes!
Bob

I thought stainmaster =nylon.

I thought nylon wears 2nd best to wool. You are turning my world upside down. I used to love cleaning nylon. (used to means I recently retired)
What are you talking about?

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
Bob

I thought stainmaster =nylon.

I thought nylon wears 2nd best to wool. You are turning my world upside down. I used to love cleaning nylon. (used to means I recently retired)
What are you talking about?
Stainmaster carpet is a different type of nylon fiber they call “type 6.6.” This unique fiber type gets its name from the dual strands of carbon fiber. While both nylon strands, they differ slightly in molecular structure which allows the fiber to take on a spring-like shape.

My experience in cleaning Stainmaster carpet is that it looks soiled, but it is wear and the traffic lanes often do not look much better when cleaned.

The tips of the fibers dull when subjected to foot traffic long before the old type Nylon fibers.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
carpet to tile and wood is a trend....for homes and some commercial here in texas.....

americans like anything new......

i predict the trend will go back to carpet in 10-20 years....

commercial resturaunts, theaters...where they have spilled drinks...would be really foolish to switch from carpet to tile.....people slip constantly...

but some are doing it here......dont think it will be a permanent trend....

Reactions: rob allen

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
that was back in 2012. like I said, the IICRC did some bad things years ago. But like I said Quote *Yes, they had problems and are far from perfect, but did you see anyone else step up to the plate and do what they did? It was never their intention to alert or educate the public that I am aware of*

Your not giving them credit for all the good that they have done.

You take bits and pieces and make blatant targeted accusations without giving them credit for all the good they have done.

I cant change you because this is how you are. What bothers me is that a lot of people here look up to you and take what you say as the whole truth. In reality you distort the truth to what you want us to believe.

Maybe Mama can say it more eloquently,
I won't say a word. All I'll do is point out what someone else uses in their signature:

"Those pointing fingers are the always the worst offenders"

Reactions: igare and mrotto