Carpet sales decline - Whose to blame? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet sales decline - Whose to blame?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Why do carpet sales keep declining? Whose to blame? I know - Do you?
And...What can we do as cleaners to stem the tide of dying carpet sales?

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
The decline in carpet is due to one thing and one thing only: Poor quality.
Our industry has killed itself by selling products designed to meet a price point over tangible performance. The worthless warranties and those who sell them are only nails in the coffin.

The increase in hard surface sales IS NOT because people like living on hard surfaces and IT’S NOT about indoor air quality.

It’s because the plastic garbage being passed off as carpet does not perform as desired, promised or expected. Consumers don’t love hard surface they just hate carpet!

Chris Henry

Jul 20, 2017
Real Name
Bucky Rogers
Wouldn't it be wierd if the answer were that cleaning companies are prolonging the life of carpet and manufactures want them to stop, lol.

Reactions: OneBlueSummer

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
On top of that, plenty of crap carpet cleaners who leave carpets not much cleaner and crunchy from chemicals.

I clean a few of these on an almost weekly basis now.

Reactions: OneBlueSummer

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
More people also have pets now, and we know how horrible it is to deal with pet urine.

In my city, carpet remains in bedrooms and area rugs of course, so I dont really see a "loss" in cleaning. What will happen in my opinion is cleaners will start charging less for hardwood cleaning, making it more affordable for stay at home mom types and it's a better job than Molly Maid.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Don’t put all your eggs in one basket for sure!

Read “who moved my cheese”

Quality of carpet has been very poor and around here people really do enjoy hard flooring.

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
Any Tom, Dick or Harry can enter the carpet cleaning business with no brain, no training, no oversight, nothing.
Turning out inferior work day after day the consumer is tired of sifting through the rubble trying to find quality work.
For every top notch cleaner there are probably 10 hacks out there.
IMO this has as much to do with carpet's decline as carpet quality.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Prob cause the mills continue to churn out non functional shit, crap quality for a product
Exactly! They are producing junk.

90% of the carpet i go to pick up has something wrong with it.
The last roll i picked up had them plastic things you have to cut out of a brand new pair of socks. All throughout the carpet. They were sticking out the face. But when you looked at the back you couldnt see it. So them idiots laminated the backing right over it.

And lvp is their saviour. But even with that their finishes are trash.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Yup, and if you notice, we are seeing more and more diversified home services such as window cleaning, power washing, etc

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Secondly today. Straight to the point people are generally lazy as fk lol. They dont want to vacuum. And they are under the delusion that hard surfaces require less maintenance then carpet. On top of that doctors have falsely misled them into thinking its better then carpet as far as chemicals and allergies.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
The decline in carpet is due to one thing and one thing only: Poor quality.
Our industry has killed itself by selling products designed to meet a price point over tangible performance. The worthless warranties and those who sell them are only nails in the coffin.

The increase in hard surface sales IS NOT because people like living on hard surfaces and IT’S NOT about indoor air quality.

It’s because the plastic garbage being passed off as carpet does not perform as desired, promised or expected. Consumers don’t love hard surface they just hate carpet!
Right on.
And the good carpeting you remember from the past. Has been priced out of reach for most consumers. Its still there. Just no ones buying it. So they buy the inferior crap thinking carpet is carpet. Then it wears out in a few years. Giving them the wrong impression of it.

Wait till their lvp starts scratching up to hell because of the low priced minimal wear layer crap that has been flooding the market. It will be assumed then all laminate is crap in the consumers mind.

Lol even the lowest cost lvp installed eqates to around $45 a yard carpet installed. But they dont know or understand that. So instead they buy the $25 a yrd carpet to save money. Its not everyone. But is the vast majority of consumers. There are the few who actually do their homework when shopping upgrades.

Last edited:

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
More people also have pets now, and we know how horrible it is to deal with pet urine.

In my city, carpet remains in bedrooms and area rugs of course, so I dont really see a "loss" in cleaning. What will happen in my opinion is cleaners will start charging less for hardwood cleaning, making it more affordable for stay at home mom types and it's a better job than Molly Maid.
That dont mean a thing other then believing its piss proof lol.

I installed a lam for a girl. Then she said she went with it becsuse the dogs pee. I said woooo well they better not now. She said why i can just wipe it up. I said yeah good luck with that and i laughed. She called a year later asking how much to put tile in this area smh. I said 1st dogs pee out side. 2nd dogs pee out side. 3rd tile grout will still absorb piss and travel down into the thinset. 4th dogs pee outside. If animals are peeing inside that screams the owner Must take the time to train the pets on where they go. Not live or cope with it.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Well yes it has, but I mean I'm seeing more and more carpet cleaning companies offer it

Reactions: MikeGaure

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I will tell you when carpet turned into junk, just one word.

StainMaster CARPET!

That stuff would turn 'nappy' in a heartbeat. Then we, the cleaner, got blamed for it not coming squeaky clean as far as it's appearance! It would wear badly in the traffic lanes. Oh, and you were required to be ever so careful in cleaning it and not use anything with a hint of a higher pH than 9. ...lol

I occasionally clean some of that shag carpet from the 70's (gold, red blue), and it still comes out looking almost like new, even in the traffic lanes!

Last edited:

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Most homes being built these days are cookie cutter tract developments... D R Horton etc

They truck the walls in and slap these homes together in a week.. people nowadays treat them like a car, live in it for 5 years or so then sell it.

The carpet mostly being installed is cheap crap just made to cover the plywood so they can sell a complete looking house. People experience this carpet then never want carpet again, many don't even want to invest any money in maintaining it.

Latest posts