Carpet install help needed

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bridgett

Apr 6, 2018
Real Name
Bridgett
I need advice from people who install carpet and will know this. I'm about to tear out carpet because the tape on the underside has mildew in various areas, or so I thought. I had a flooring guy look at it tonight though and he told me it is normal discoloration from the glue and seam iron. Another flooring company, who I do not trust, had originally said mildew. Not sure what to believe. Can anyone tell me if the iron/glue really does leave marks on the paper part of the tape that look like mildew?
1523068022626157009372.jpg

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I dont see any problem. I have a pick of what a problem looks like on seam tape. The thing i do see is the pad. Has the carpet ever gotten wet? The tape is the last to dry. It is also siliconized.

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
New tape
IMG_5479.JPG

Same new tape i tested on scrap
IMG_5480.JPG

Water damage water softener cracked
IMG_5481.JPG

Treated and let carpet dry for a couple days
IMG_5482.JPG

Bridgett

Apr 6, 2018
Real Name
Bridgett
The carpet has never gotten wet. There might have been a moisture issue due to landscaping that is now fixed. It's possible but not sure. What problem do you see with the padding? It was supposed to be high end stuff. The glue on the padding stuck to the floor but did not adhere to the pad

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
The carpet has never gotten wet. There might have been a moisture issue due to landscaping that is now fixed. It's possible but not sure. What problem do you see with the padding? It was supposed to be high end stuff. The glue on the padding stuck to the floor but did not adhere to the pad
Not much of a problem. That pad looks to have a barrier on it. So if something is spilled on carpet. Its supposed to stop it from soaking into the pad. Now moisture can get trapped between the tape and pad. It will dry but slower. Say like after cleaning. What ide be more concerned about is moisture trapped between floor and pad. (Im assuming its concrete) If you have it pulled up. Pull back pad to take a look for mold under pad. As far as the tape i cant see anything wrong with it. Sometimes they look wrinkled up like it was wet. But it was just from melting glue from iron.

For one thing how does it smell when you lift the carpet?

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Are you worried because its dark like it got wet? The tape is paper. The hot melt on top is a wax like adhesive. When melted it liquified and seeps into the paper. Much like candle wax or oil will seep into a piece of card board. It will look wet. Just pull pad back carefully and take a peek. But careful around those seams. They will tear easy. And take a hot glue gun and put carpet back down on tape before your vacuum gets a hold of it.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
yep i know no issues either

why did you roll carpet back in the first place?

Bridgett

Apr 6, 2018
Real Name
Bridgett
The padding looks fine. It was glued down, but the glue didn't adhere so it comes up easily. My concern is not the wrinkles. It's the black splotches that look mildewish on the tape. One flooring place told me it's mildew the other said it's normal from the glue. I don't know who to believe. The reason we pulled it back was a very heavy object was on plastic on a spot for 5 yrs. We moved it and carpet looked ok, but smelled moldy. Pulled it back to check. Looks fine, just stinks in that spot. But then I saw the black splotches in random spots along the tape. Took a photo to the flooring store and they said mold and maybe a moisture problem. Maybe this photo shows it better, but is all along the tape. Last night another guy said it'

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
The padding looks fine. It was glued down, but the glue didn't adhere so it comes up easily. My concern is not the wrinkles. It's the black splotches that look mildewish on the tape. One flooring place told me it's mildew the other said it's normal from the glue. I don't know who to believe. The reason we pulled it back was a very heavy object was on plastic on a spot for 5 yrs. We moved it and carpet looked ok, but smelled moldy. Pulled it back to check. Looks fine, just stinks in that spot. But then I saw the black splotches in random spots along the tape. Took a photo to the flooring store and they said mold and maybe a moisture problem. Maybe this photo shows it better, but is all along the tape. Last night another guy said it'
Its possible the piece of furniture trapped moisture below. Concrete can release moisture even though its cured. But honestly its nothing to be alarmed about. I can see the carpet along sides of the tape. And it looks damn near new. Heres a pic of 2 different tapes on my truck now both are orcon. 1 is nv4500 the other is xk30. Do the specks or dots look the same
IMG_5497.JPG
IMG_5498.JPG
and can you brush them off? Try wiping the tape off with a damp rag. After did rag show signs of mold on it? )Best to use white rag.)

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If you look at the picture in post #5 and again in post #11 the black on the back of the tape is from the scrim on the adhesive side, not a really fine dye used there. It bleed into the paper tape when heated. IMO I don't see one thing to worry about in any of your pictures.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
like Nick said could have trapped something beneath but also depending on the material of furniture there could be some off gassing. some plastics off gas some foul odors when moved (like office chair mats)

but all the pics you show that carpet and tape look to be in excellent shape.

sounds like now or future you should only do business with the gent that said it looked normal. everyone else is looking for a sale based off of your emotions and fears. jmo

Last edited:

Bridgett

Apr 6, 2018
Real Name
Bridgett
Thanks. I really appreciate the info. The black marks were not under the safe that was on there. That area stinks but it is clean. I just found them when checking that area. Then I followed the seam and saw it all over. The carpet is only a few years old in a rarely used room. Sounds like my suspicion that the flooring guy was just trying to scare me into doing more flooring was right. And to the person who asked if it wipes off, no it does not. I can scrape it off when I scrape the paper with a screw driver but I think I'm just removing paper. Unfortunately the guy who told me this is ok I do not have confidence in for other reasons, but looks like at least he is honest. Thank you

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Thanks. I really appreciate the info. The black marks were not under the safe that was on there. That area stinks but it is clean. I just found them when checking that area. Then I followed the seam and saw it and let over. The carpet is only a few years old in a rarely used room. Sounds like my suspicion that the flooring guy was just trying to scare me into doing more flooring was right. And to the person who asked if it boost wipes off, no it does not. I can scrape it off when I scrape the paper with asked screw driver but itnntistt think I'm just removing paper. Unfortunately the guy who told me this is ok I do not have confidence in for other reasons, but looks like at least he is honest. Thank you
lol no worries, i would've let you know if i was onsite there's nothing wrong. you can always locate another seam in another room and pulled the edge too confirm what we are saying

Bridgett

Apr 6, 2018
Real Name
Bridgett
I did go to another room. My kids room us the only other carpeted room, then the flooring guy freaked me out saying I probably have a moisture problem in the foundation causing problems in both rooms. I fell for it too

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I did go to another room. My kids room us the only other carpeted room, then the flooring guy freaked me out saying I probably have a moisture problem in the foundation causing problems in both rooms. I fell for it too
sorry too hear that what city are you in? maybe we have have some members in your area

Aug 28, 2016
Real Name
Richard Davis
Have seen mold start from the organic paper tape and spread into backing. Did a repair on one a few months ago and found some. Recently did one where the organic tack strips molded and spread it far out into the backing. That was a weird one because no leaks. The smell is your sign.

Attachments

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
The process of applying seam tape requires heat. Sometimes the paper can little a little too much heat and have black spots. Compare to bread in the toaster a little too long.

There is no problem with the seam tape. It is normal.

If you wanted to be extra cautious, you could clean with a combination detergent / disinfectant solution. Use a minimum of moisture. You want it to remain damp 10 to 15 minutes and be completely dry by that time. This allows sufficient dwell time for the disinfectant to work but prevents things from getting too wet.

Here are links to potential cleaner / disinfectants you could use:
Bactibarrier - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CR700GL

Benefect Decon 30 mold disinfectant: https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CD33GL