Carpet Cleaning vs Water Damage & Restoration | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet Cleaning vs Water Damage & Restoration

Fanatic

Jan 3, 2019
Real Name
Nawaaz Ismail
Important Question:

What are your guys takes on carpet cleaning vs water damage restoration?

I hear that the income is significantly higher in water damage restoration.

Would it be wise for me to skip and forego this carpet cleaning venture and head straight into water damage restoration?

I was scheduled to take both the classes for carpet and upholstery cleaning, however, I was also setting my mind to taking on the water damage and restoration course in close time proximity.

I feel that if I can benefit with much more significant income for my time and effort in water damage/restoration, then perhaps that is the wise way to go with a full out box truck instead.

What is your honest opinion and take on this thought process, please?

Last edited:

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Take both classes.... floods dont happen every day so you'll use the carpet and upholstery cleaning to fill in the gaps. If it was me and i had the choice and budget allows id get the box truck that way your not limited as to what you can carry.

Fanatic

Jan 3, 2019
Real Name
Nawaaz Ismail
Take both classes.... floods dont happen every day so you'll use the carpet and upholstery cleaning to fill in the gaps. If it was me and i had the choice and budget allows id get the box truck that way your not limited as to what you can carry.
Thank you - I'll have to dig deeper on the going price for the appropriate box truck... I see Chevy/GMC and Isuzu have options, but not sure if I need to special order or what have you... Searching...

What would I add on top of the standard carpet cleaning equipment?

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
What kind of budget are you working with?

Fanatic

Jan 3, 2019
Real Name
Nawaaz Ismail
What kind of budget are you working with?
Not huge but since I'm taking taking the courses and willing to work for a company, I would rather do things right so that I can invest and be in it full time while maximizing on the income opportunities and not get disheartened by too many promotional small jobs if that tends to come up... and I can focus more on marketing and networking myself for maximizing on the time I have...

What kind of budget in detail are you thinking about?

* I currently have a chevy express 3500 extended but I'm thinking that may limit me unless you feel otherwise?

Last edited:

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Not huge but since I'm taking taking the courses and willing to work for a company, I would rather do things right so that I can invest and be in it full time while maximizing on the income opportunities and not get disheartened by too many promotional small jobs if that tends to come up... and I can focus more on marketing and networking myself for maximizing on the time I have...

What kind of budget in detail are you thinking about?

* I currently have a chevy express 3500 extended but I'm thinking that may limit me unless you feel otherwise?
If you will be working for another company then you don't really need anything but to show up. They will probably pay for your courses as well. Learn and save a lot of money so you can do your own thing.

Fanatic

Jan 3, 2019
Real Name
Nawaaz Ismail
If you will be working for another company then you don't really need anything but to show up. They will probably pay for your courses as well. Learn and save a lot of money so you can do your own thing.
Thank you.

I was going to work to learn as an apprentice under them and plan my equipment separately for my own if I'm able. I did not know they would cover the cost of my courses. Good to know.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
There money in water damage but also more risk, long hard hours, and takes a considerable investment.

Theres 2 sides to carpet cleaning... guys who do 5-6 jobs a day at low promotional rates

and theres guys who do 2 maybe 3 quality jobs at a much higher rate but spend a lot longer on each job.

If you have the reputation and the business to support it the second business model can be pretty profitable. The non franchise companies in my area doing this type of business model running 8-10 trucks are doing very well.

Reactions: Scott W and Fanatic

Fanatic

Jan 3, 2019
Real Name
Nawaaz Ismail
There money in water damage but also more risk, long hard hours, and takes a considerable investment.

Theres 2 sides to carpet cleaning... guys who do 5-6 jobs a day at low promotional rates

and theres guys who do 2 maybe 3 quality jobs at a much higher rate but spend a lot longer on each job.

If you have the reputation and the business to support it the second business model can be pretty profitable. The non franchise companies in my area doing this type of business model running 8-10 trucks are doing very well.
Great info. Well stated. I will be starting out with one truck and on my own for the beginning.

As far as cleaning, I will definitely be focusing on the quality, more time consuming cleaning jobs. That's a great pointer. I dont find much motivation on competing with the big franchise who do mass promotions on entry level discounts or what have you. Definitely 2-3 quality jobs per day, please.

I dont have the reputation to support the 2nd option however I am open to following your advice on what I need to do to get there.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
If you already have a 1 ton extended you might look at an enclosed trailer for equip hauling would be cheaper

Reactions: Fanatic

Fanatic

Jan 3, 2019
Real Name
Nawaaz Ismail
If you already have a 1 ton extended you might look at an enclosed trailer for equip hauling would be cheaper
Thank you.

Would it be wiser to go with 110 gallon tanks or the 210 gallon tanks inside my truck?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
110 gallon tanks for carpet cleaning water. If your doing a flood, you will need a pumpout.

I started in carpet cleaning and then added water/fire damage. Two completely different worlds.

You are on the right track when you stated "and I can focus more on marketing and networking myself for maximizing on the time I have... " because Marketing is the main thing you will need to do whether its carpet cleaning or water damage.

carpet cleaning will provide a more consistent income. Any type of restoration has busy times and slow times. You will also need to finance some of the income (30 - 60 days) from restoration so the carpet cleaning will provide income during those times.

I would start with one thing and become good at it rather than trying to be a Jack of All Trades, but thats just me.

Good luck

Reactions: ACP and Fanatic

Fanatic

Jan 3, 2019
Real Name
Nawaaz Ismail
110 gallon tanks for carpet cleaning water. If your doing a flood, you will need a pumpout.

I started in carpet cleaning and then added water/fire damage. Two completely different worlds.

You are on the right track when you stated "and I can focus more on marketing and networking myself for maximizing on the time I have... " because Marketing is the main thing you will need to do whether its carpet cleaning or water damage.

carpet cleaning will provide a more consistent income. Any type of restoration has busy times and slow times. You will also need to finance some of the income (30 - 60 days) from restoration so the carpet cleaning will provide income during those times.

I would start with one thing and become good at it rather than trying to be a Jack of All Trades, but thats just me.

Good luck
Thank you. Maybe I will focus and completely diverge myself into carpet cleaning and get as good as I can with that and then hold on to it as I continue to educate myself and take courses on the water damage and restoration and then maybe the fire and smoke aspect as well. Maybe at a later time I can add a separate box truck dedicated specifically to Restoration work after my carpet cleaning business has grown quite a bit and built up its consistency at a high level - along with some good managing help to keep it steady as I develop restoration during that later time.

Reactions: thebbqguy

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Carpet cleaning=Cash flow
Water damage=Big checks sporadically
Carpet cleaning school-Outdated
Water damage classes-OK

Get my courses and avoid the learning curve.

wwwtmfacademy.com

Fanatic

Jan 3, 2019
Real Name
Nawaaz Ismail
Carpet cleaning=Cash flow
Water damage=Big checks sporadically
Carpet cleaning school-Outdated
Water damage classes-OK

Get my courses and avoid the learning curve.

wwwtmfacademy.com
I would definitely consider however I paid up and committed financially to both the carpet cleaning tech and upholstery cleaning courses last week or. I'll still check out the site for my knowledge.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
youll learn some okay basics in the carpet cleaning course but it is somewhat outdated.

I would ignore a lot of the spotting techniques especially lol... a fels bar and peroxide replaces 3/4 of the spotting kit they will try and sell you for $300 or whatever it costs

Fanatic

Jan 3, 2019
Real Name
Nawaaz Ismail
youll learn some okay basics in the carpet cleaning course but it is somewhat outdated.

I would ignore a lot of the spotting techniques especially lol... a fels bar and peroxide replaces 3/4 of the spotting kit they will try and sell you for $300 or whatever it costs
I take it that most of all the in-person carpet cleaning classes are outdated? Rob Allen mentioned that his online version was up to date.

I have my eye out for the stone care course and also the water damage/restoration course soon after.

Jul 18, 2019
Real Name
Bradford Hall
Fanatic,

I know you posted a few months ago and I read some of these posts and have something more for you to consider.

Sounds like your going with carpet cleaning. I would recommend contacting several local mitigation companies and discussing referrals with them. In my market here in Arizona, I pay carpet cleaners 20 % of the mitigation. Once you start landing accounts, your customers will be calling you for everything including the services you don't perform, but if you're prepared for that, you can make a decent income from referrals. Keep in mind there are many very bad mitigation companies, they may offer the highest referral, but you want your customer to keep calling you for work, not calling you and getting mad because you referred a bad mitigation company. Also, mitigation companies don't have good reputations, any kind of agreement about referrals - be sure to get it in writing and if the conversation didn't happen with the owner of the company, have the owner sign the deal. Also, be sure to ask for a copy of the insurance check. This will prevent a mitigation company giving you a % off a lower number than what they got.

Good Luck,

Brad

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States

Still haven’t tried my feels bar in the field..been following Pros choice guidance for unknown spots...which is like the black tube gel (super gel) followed by the yellow tube ( pro gel?) haven’t made it past there..

I should just bust out the fells. Ahhh experience is the best teacher