Carpet cleaning vs lawn care

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
So recently I was offered a friends lawn care business. He is wanting to sell all his accounts and his equipment. I'd be suprised if anyone here could help me but I figured I'd give it a shot. It would be a second business as I would keep my carpet / window cleaning company. The thing I like about the lawn care business is super low entry costs, and its consistent revenue. Each week you have repeat business. Carpet cleaning can be like that for commercial work but not residential. Competition is another concern but my thought on competition is if you have competition it means there's a market for the service. I also am very confident in my marketing skills. So what's your thoughts on lawn care? It's something you can add many other services to like landscaping, gutter cleaning, snow plowing , spring / fall clean ups. Etc.
A moment agoEditReport

Reactions: matt30577

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I did lawns for a while. I liked being outside and working. I liked the fact it's easy and quick. The only drawback was the lawn season was when my cleaning season were the same. Cleaning was much more profitable so I gave it up. Now buying an existing company is interesting because you could probably convert some clientele to window and carpet cleaning. Either way I doubt you could go wrong.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Great Minds think alike Rob!
Yeah Dave but your beating me to the punch lately. Going to have to brush up on my speed skills. :D

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Sounds like you are going in 50 different directions.

I was the same way in my 20's and it was a mistake, didn't start to make good money until i focused more.
Keep it simple and repeat.

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
There are more landscapers out there , then carpet cleaning companies I notice here... Yes if your young and hard working you could make it work.. But winter months it maybe bad if there's no big snow to plow... Some I know gave up because of all the competition and price cutters out there.. Then get no snow winter's lately could be downfall..

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
So recently I was offered a friends lawn care business. He is wanting to sell all his accounts and his equipment. I'd be suprised if anyone here could help me but I figured I'd give it a shot. It would be a second business as I would keep my carpet / window cleaning company. The thing I like about the lawn care business is super low entry costs, and its consistent revenue. Each week you have repeat business. Carpet cleaning can be like that for commercial work but not residential. Competition is another concern but my thought on competition is if you have competition it means there's a market for the service. I also am very confident in my marketing skills. So what's your thoughts on lawn care? It's something you can add many other services to like landscaping, gutter cleaning, snow plowing , spring / fall clean ups. Etc.
A moment agoEditReport
Excuse the term, but.... No grass grows under your feet :)

sandstormli

Dec 20, 2008
NY, long island/Lindenhurst
beyondmaids.com
Real Name
Roman Majda
Business Location
United States
Go for it only if you can have someone do it for you and you have some profit left, now unless you can fo landscaping + three trimming and bush trimming you will not be making big money - all the lawn guys well most cut the grass only b/c it gets their feet in the door for all the other good stuff.
Now my landscaper cuts my grass for $35 a week wich is a joke (for the time spent not bad considering they do both my property and next door neighbor but look how many jobs you need a day!!!) Here is where the good come to him - he will be cuting down 5 trees for me for $2200 and thats a decent deal for me but this deal is because its at the end of season or off season.

By the way lawnmovers are not exactly cheap figure for residential $5k-$7k each and thats good stuff that 99% landscapers use but not going crazy here.

sandstormli

Dec 20, 2008
beyondmaids.com
Real Name
Roman Majda
Business Location
United States
Come to think of it they make money on everything but moving the grass lol. Spring clean ups, fall clean ups, fertilizer, aerating (think thats the wordlol), god forbid another sandy storm - they were robbing people on tree removal and I mean it to try 10 -20k for removal of handfull of trees down !!!

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
Matt I think your problem is your new so your business isn't running full steam so you are grasping for anything that might look like money to you..

I kinda did it myself at first in 2008 but I had to buckle down and just focus on my main business and the half a dozen services I offer that are mostly connected.

Lawn care will just run you down the wrong road. Pass it up.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
So Right Jay..Think we all ventured down that road in the beginning and consequently lost FOCUS! If it's a TEMPORARY means to an end he should do it..but NOT lose site of what the real deal is all about.

sandstormli

Dec 20, 2008
beyondmaids.com
Real Name
Roman Majda
Business Location
United States
So true we all venture out and then learn from it, I opened a cellphone store like 7 years ago and what a money pit that was but I did learn that I never want to sell anything ever again in retail like that... I decided cleaning is what I/we r good at and thats who we are so everything cleaning and maintainance related is ok to diversify to and thats where all the focus is right now. Find what your good at and focus on it to get bigger and better at it.

bill

Jun 29, 2008
Southern California
freshcleanhome.com
Real Name
Bill Vivers
Business Location
United States
I was thinking like that years ago but I actually make more money fine-tuning and tunnel vision on carpet, upholstery, tile/stone care. I did offer windows back in the day and considered adding wood floors, etc. But in the end we make more money doing those three services and become perfectionists at them.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I would add mowing a few wands to my business if I was needing the work. But I would still keep my eye on my original goal...CARPET CLEANING.

The reward of being successful at carpet cleaning is much better than mowing lawns.

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
I did it for 5 years . I did chimney cleaning in the winter. Like Rob said, both businesses are busy in the summer months. I found that I can make 3 times more cleaning carpet than mowing grass and I'm not as worn out from the heat at the end of the day. The heat and humidity are tough here in N.C. I would stick to carpet cleaning and may be just do a few yards if you need the cash while growing your carpet business.

Anolog139

Nov 7, 2012
Linden Michigan
Real Name
Matthew Smith
Business Location
United States
It's hard deciding what type of business you want to throw your life into. For me, I have no cleaning background before I started. So im just learning everything as I go which is a bit nerve racking. Messing up someones carpet is a lot bigger deal than mowing a yard wrong. I do think there is more money per hour in carpet cleaning no doubt. My only thought about lawn care is mowing is only the tool to get the foot in the door. If you can do landscaping, theres plenty of potential to make 100 bucks an hour. Thats the only reason im really considering it

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Low cost? Aren't those Ferris machines like $10-13k? Plus trailer and truck to tow it with...

I always wanted to do this myself to pair with our janitorial since we there on commercial accounts anyway, but too much to manage. Plus like Roman said, I don't pay my lawn guy very much per cut either. Like $20 for 50x170'.

I think snow plowing is where it's at. I've seen some bills from those guys and it's like $200-400 hour.